+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: SMD DD1 or OSCOPE?

momofx is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

SMD DD1 or OSCOPE?

I'm looking for something to set gains and I did notice the oscopes with color displays, etc. are going cheaper than the dd-1. Anyone here used both? Which one would be a better choice?

VWGolfMKVI is offline StarrMountainSoundNutHugr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Re: SMD DD1 or OSCOPE?

Oscope. I have owned the DD1. The nice thing about the DD1 is that it allows you to set you gain to max before distortion. I myself just use a dmm. That way i can match my amps output to the subwoofer

Kangaroux is offline I put on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

The DD-1 can detect all kinds of distortion, not just clipping. An o-scope (at least the cheap ones like the DSO nano which is $80 iirc) will only let you see clipping, but at the same time you can also do a lot more with it since it's more than just a box with a couple lights on it. You can't really go wrong with both though personally I would want to have the o-scope since it has a bit more capability, especially if you want to use it for outside of car audio

4. Thanks momofx thanked for this post
    butterMilk is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a dd1 and its kinda for spl purposes, or like a peace of mind instrument. With the dd1 you can check all your equipment and see if anything is distorting. For me nothing was. And then you can set your amp to the max output without distortion.

If you have a amp thats got more power than you need, for your your subs or mids. Then the dd1 is kinda useless, because if your gain is set low, then chances are you are not getting any distortion at all. Unless its a horrible amp.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I see, but then if the amp is more poweful, can you just set the level of the amp with a dmm my calculating the ac volts?

Chriszle is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I prefer to use a scope. Would rather see the wave then look at a little light.

8. Thanks jeffdachef, denim thanked for this post
    Likes jeffdachef, denim liked this post
    butterMilk is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by momofx View Post
    I see, but then if the amp is more poweful, can you just set the level of the amp with a dmm my calculating the ac volts?
    Yeah in that case I would just use a dmm. If you have a powerful amp, that puts out a lot more power than you need, chances are your gain is not turned up very much. And if your gain is not turned up very much, the chances that you have any distortion are slim to none.

But if you want to get the most out of your amp (distortion free) then dd1 is nice to have.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heebs 09gts View Post
    Yeah in that case I would just use a dmm. If you have a powerful amp, that puts out a lot more power than you need, chances are your gain is not turned up very much. And if your gain is not turned up very much, the chances that you have any distortion are slim to none.

But if you want to get the most out of your amp (distortion free) then dd1 is nice to have.
    Ok kinda off my topic a bit here, bit I thought setting any amp with a DMM and no load on the amp (ie. only the dmm connected to the amp's output), would give a false AC voltage reading? So does that mean, that I need to have to sub connected to the amp with the dmm as well and set the gain that way?

SPL Blazer is offline SPL Event Promoter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have an SMD DD1 and it's a waste of money. Best thing is using it for finding out the peak volume of your headunit, but even with those it'll only work with certain headunits, like higher voltage pre-out decks. For a daily driver maybe it's ok, if you ever plan to use your system for bass comps then forget it. A DMM will do everything this unit does, and a good O-Scope would work great too.

Walled Astro, 4 DC Audio 18" XL's _____________________www.NewEnglandSPL.com
    1 Hifonics Sampson - 157.7 so far

Bought from: CRXBMPN, SPLTucson, f150john, LoudMOFO Sold To: Chris Team ACT, Big Rea$e

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Hey has anyone tried that o-scope idea that uses the mic input of your laptop with some resistors and some recording software? Seems like everyone who tried it on the youtube video says it works well and is flexible cos you can change the input resistors to suit your power output... I might try this...

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Using a DMM alone can be deceiving. You make the assumption that your amps make rated power and your HU is clean at whatever volume level you pick. A scope showed me that my amp puts out only half rated at 12V and my HU clips at 65%.

I've never used a DD1 so I can't comment on that. I wonder if it'd blink at you if your preout signal looked like this:

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

You are right, after spending many days I have discovered that nothing can really come close to a scope - I just invested in one infact Awaitings its arrival!

Myquadzilla is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That wave looks good on top & bottom but looks like something is there side to side. shouldn't be any ripples in the wave..

Slo_Ride is offline Midnight Rider

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Holy first post in dead thread.

Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

bbeljefe is online now Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maylar View Post
    Using a DMM alone can be deceiving. You make the assumption that your amps make rated power and your HU is clean at whatever volume level you pick. A scope showed me that my amp puts out only half rated at 12V and my HU clips at 65%.

I've never used a DD1 so I can't comment on that. I wonder if it'd blink at you if your preout signal looked like this:

No, it wouldn't show distortion with that waveform because that waveform is not clipped. Distortion happens when the peaks of the waveform are flattened out. That waveform isn't flattened and thus, isn't distorted.

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast