Closed Thread

Reload Thread: NOOB setup advice for something different.

Rockrivr1 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NOOB setup advice for something different.

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, but have been on for a bit doing research for a build I'm looking to do over the winter months. My build is not for a car. It's for a fairing that's on my Harley Davidson Road King Classic.

The fairing currently has a Eclipse CD5030 head unit providing 50W x 4 channels. It's feeding 4 5.25 Jennings 40W marine speakers. It's a decent system, but it's starting to have problems and it's time to replace the components. I'm also thinking of adding an amp into the new setup as well.

After doing some research here, as well as a few other locations, I've come up with a short list of components that I'm looking at for this built. This is what I have so far:

Head Unit:
    Sony MEX-BT3000P - This unit provides 53W x 4 channels at 4 ohms as well as Bluetooth and is satalitte radio ready. The Eclipse has this functionality as well and I have a Sirius adapter and antenna that I'd move over to this unit.

Speakers: (Few options)
    Hertz - High Energy HCX130 w/ power handling of 70W continuous power and 140W max peak.

or

Arc Series 502 w/ power handling of 45W continuous power and 90W max peak.

or

Focal 130 CVX w/ power handling of 60W continuous power and 100W max peak.

Amp:
    Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 - This is a 4 ohm amp providing 75W x 4 channels

or

Arc KS 125.4 Mini Amp - This is a 4 ohm amp providing 75W x 4 channel amp (More expensive then the RF)

or

??????? Small amp recommendation

Overall I've been leaning towards the RF with the Focals as I've read a lot of good things about them. I've also heard some good things about the Hi Energys as well.

As I said above, I'm a complete noob with this and will be learning as I go. I have a $500-$700 budget and I think I can get everything I need within that budget. I will have time over the cold winter months to work in it.

What do you think? If you think I'm going in the complete wrong direction I'd be happy to hear that as well. Remember though that a motorcycle fairing does get wet from time to time, so I have to get speakers that has some weather resistance.

Thanks for the help with this.

nkrell11 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Re: NOOB setup advice for something different.

For the record I would like to point out that the head units you mentioned may claim 50x4 but that is the peak rating the rms is more likely to be around 15x4 rms. Seems like you picked some good speaker options but I can't really say which would be best since it's user dependent although I hear arc makes some nice products.

Closed Thread