Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need a new crossover for my front components, what sould the crossover point be?

asilentfire is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon6 Need a new crossover for my front components, what sould the crossover point be?

I need a new crossover for my JBL P560C components, the frequency response on these are 55-23000Hz, running 75w RMS at 2 ohms, receiving just around 150w RMS (rated at 210) from the amp. I gotta say these are some very good SQ comps, and I don't want to ruin them with a bad crossover.

There are a lot of options on the internet, but most are rated for 4 ohms, and I don't know what the stock crossover has, but it sounded good! I could get something adjustable, like 3kHz or 6kHz, but I'm guessing the sweet spot is somewhere in between, probably on the higher side.. but I don't know.

What do you think a good crossover point between the woofer and the tweeter should be for a good front stage?

Thanks!

edit: now that I think about it, if the total impedance of both comps is 2 ohms, then do I need a 4 ohm crossover?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Need a new crossover for my front components, what sould the crossover point be?

Quote Originally Posted by asilentfire View Post
    I need a new crossover for my JBL P560C components, the frequency response on these are 55-23000Hz, running 75w RMS at 2 ohms, receiving just around 150w RMS (rated at 210) from the amp. I gotta say these are some very good SQ comps, and I don't want to ruin them with a bad crossover.

There are a lot of options on the internet, but most are rated for 4 ohms, and I don't know what the stock crossover has, but it sounded good! I could get something adjustable, like 3kHz or 6kHz, but I'm guessing the sweet spot is somewhere in between, probably on the higher side.. but I don't know.

What do you think a good crossover point between the woofer and the tweeter should be for a good front stage?

Thanks!

edit: now that I think about it, if the total impedance of both comps is 2 ohms, then do I need a 4 ohm crossover?
    P560C | 5-1/4" (130mm) 2-way component system | JBL US

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

asilentfire is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need a new crossover for my front components, what sould the crossover point be?

Good news! I emailed Harman Audio and they told me that the "The crossover is a passive 2-way filter with a 2.5kHz high and low pass frequency output."

I'll probably end up getting a 3kHz crossover, and if it would be easy to add a mid-range tweeter in the side-mirror triangle that would be nice, but I have gone without music for too long and I'll probably take the easy route and just get a crossover for the speakers I've got.

Any suggestions on determining the quality of the crossover, or anything else to look for?
    Last edited by asilentfire; 10-23-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Closed Thread