Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Good subwoofer and amp for '06 saturn ion?

obsidian93 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good subwoofer and amp for '06 saturn ion?

First, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post. I'm new to this site.

Okay, so I have a base model 2006 saturn ion, four door. I'm made it kind of sporty but I want a new sound system. My speakers are, surprisingly, really decent. They just don't give out much bass. I want something to add more bass, nothing that will drown out the music or be heard a quarter of a mile down the road. But something that can be felt. I'm thinking about getting a Kicker 12' with an amp. What do you guys think I should get? My budget is about 300$ (not including installation). I'm so clueless about this kind of stuff so if you can be specific about things, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Re: Good subwoofer and amp for '06 saturn ion?

Kicker 500.1 150 shipped

Iosias is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Would you rather have bass around sound quality or something with more output?

Refs # Tallc, CleaRSkieS, Roth, Goindef154, Kangaroux, tv559

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello Community Members,

Upgrading the stereo on your Saturn Ion can provide much clearer and louder sound for long drives or cruises through town. One essential upgrade is a subwoofer for accurate bass reproduction at high levels. Install a subwoofer in the trunk of your Ion, but make it removable so you can still fold down the rear seats and use all the cargo room if you have to carry something extra.

1. Open the trunk of your Saturn Ion and place the box where you want to install it. Positioning will depend on personal preference, what you usually carry and whether you have other audio equipment (e.g., an amplifier) in the trunk. Check that it fits with adequate clearance.
    2. Connect the subwoofer to the terminal cap on the rear of the speaker box with the speaker wire. Place the speaker in its place in the enclosure and secure it with the screws.
    3. Attach two strips of Velcro to the underside of the box using wood glue. Attach the other side of the two pieces to the carpet in the trunk, securing them with fabric glue.
    4. Connect a speaker wire to the amplifier and run it to the position you have selected for your subwoofer box. Use a screwdriver to tease up the edges of the carpet and plastic trim to secure it in place.
    5. Connect the speaker wire from the amp to the terminal cap on the back of the subwoofer box and put the subwoofer box in place on its Velcro strips.

Best Regards,
    Anthony Martello

winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyMartello View Post
    Hello Community Members,

Upgrading the stereo on your Saturn Ion can provide much clearer and louder sound for long drives or cruises through town. One essential upgrade is a subwoofer for accurate bass reproduction at high levels. Install a subwoofer in the trunk of your Ion, but make it removable so you can still fold down the rear seats and use all the cargo room if you have to carry something extra.

1. Open the trunk of your Saturn Ion and place the box where you want to install it. Positioning will depend on personal preference, what you usually carry and whether you have other audio equipment (e.g., an amplifier) in the trunk. Check that it fits with adequate clearance.
    2. Connect the subwoofer to the terminal cap on the rear of the speaker box with the speaker wire. Place the speaker in its place in the enclosure and secure it with the screws.
    3. Attach two strips of Velcro to the underside of the box using wood glue. Attach the other side of the two pieces to the carpet in the trunk, securing them with fabric glue.
    4. Connect a speaker wire to the amplifier and run it to the position you have selected for your subwoofer box. Use a screwdriver to tease up the edges of the carpet and plastic trim to secure it in place.
    5. Connect the speaker wire from the amp to the terminal cap on the back of the subwoofer box and put the subwoofer box in place on its Velcro strips.

Best Regards,
    Anthony Martello
    Ok did you even read the question or did you just want to try and look smart cause to me you look like a dumbas$ that didn't even read the question and Velcro to hold a sub box what a joke

Op I would suggest 1 good 12 like the American bass xfl on a quality 1000w mono block like the American bass ph2500md and a quality ported box.

I suggested the American bass product due to my experience with my hd12 and the ph2500md as well as the ph4000md. The ph2500md has been clamped for a clean 1000w and 90% efficiency which is great not what it's rated at but great. And those amps are small in size

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

neo_styles is online now AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

He's just a troll. Go look at his post history and everything he's written is pretty inconclusive and irrelevant to the conversation.

OP, best bet is a tight, musical sub that runs on low amplification. I used a 12W3 in a JL-spec sealed enclosure powered by a 500/1 and had tons of power left over when I was driving my 04 Ion Redline. You can definitely go cheaper on amplification, but make sure you're getting clean power (somewhere around 400-500W is more than enough, anything else will overpower your stock system).

Here's some recommendations on subs:
    Image Dynamics ID10
    SSA DCON
    JL 12W3
    Boston Acoustics G3

All can be had relatively cheap and should give you the oomph you're looking for but maintain good SQ.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

Dtrom is offline MAF

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Ssa gcon 12. And some kind of 400.1
    Boom.

REFS alot

Closed Thread