Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)

Re: Why you need an oscilloscope

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    Personally I would rather be able to see the signal than trust a box with an idiot light.
    That's what I was thinking. I just didn't know which one would be preferred. What about the V2 version of this o-scope, looks a little cleaner aesthetics wise IMO. Worth the extra few bucks?

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrownVanMan View Post
    it has abuilt in test signal but you are still able to play your own through the HU right?
    Yes you need to provide a sine wave source. The test signal is a square wave, not very useful in audio.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

tat2bass is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    600 Post(s)

You willing to rent it out along with whatever you used to produce the test sine wave?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

Sorry mang, not considering renting it. I use it for work as well as for my CA hobby. The source I used was just test tones on a CD.

dave
    ----------

Joe89 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

Awesome... I think I will be picking one of these up A.S.A.P. I had no idea they could be so affordable.

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1828 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maylar View Post
    I had a chance to play with my little DSO Nano digital 'scope and I thought I'd share what it told me about my system.

First I wanted to find the maximum volume setting from my HU. I monitored the front speaker outputs and input a 100Hz 0 dB source in the CD player. Classic clipping at 34/50 volume. With a -5dB source I could get to 38/50. I decided that 32/50 was my max setting. Note the voltage is 24v p-p which is battery rails. This is with engine off:

Next I checked the output of my David Navone LOC at 40 Hz and volume 32/50:

Well now, that's a funky waveform. It cleaned up to a nice sine wave at 100 Hz but I think I'll send this to David Navone and ask him wtf.

My final revalation was when setting the gain on my sub amp (bridged rear channels) at 40 Hz volume 32/50:

The revalation is that with engine not running I only get 22.9 vrms = 131 watts before clipping. I started the engine and at 13.5 vdc I could get 200 watts. I did not expect that much difference. And no wonder my G3 sub barely moves...

What a useful tool this is. Worth the 80 bucks.
    Still using this bro? Just wondering how it's holding up. Going to pick one up for my new build. Quite a bit of power, so I want to be sure I'm setting things accurately. Does the x1-x10 switch work well?

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

TaylorFade is offline I fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)

I've had he same scope for almost 2 years now and set I don't know how many amps. The 1x probe is good for ~ 80V p2p which is around 3kw. If it's got a 10x switch, you can set some big ass amps just fine. My buddy sets his 8k's with the same scope no problem.

When I first got mine, I set my amp to "about half" like most people who don't know any better would just to see. I got this...

No bueno. A little turn of the gain and bingo...

I decided right then and there that it was maybe the best money I've spent in CA.

Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    TaylorFail
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb View Post
    Taylorfail, v.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Imtjnotu View Post
    tailorFail v.3
    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    TaylorFail v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    TaylorWin v.1?

av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1254 Post(s)

Imma hafta git one of dees...

Pioneer 80prs
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1828 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorFade View Post
    I've had he same scope for almost 2 years now and set I don't know how many amps. The 1x probe is good for ~ 80V p2p which is around 3kw. If it's got a 10x switch, you can set some big ass amps just fine. My buddy sets his 8k's with the same scope no problem.

When I first got mine, I set my amp to "about half" like most people who don't know any better would just to see. I got this...

No bueno. A little turn of the gain and bingo...

I decided right then and there that it was maybe the best money I've spent in CA.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Good to see it's not something that's going to take a dump in 6 months. Was thinking about a DD-1 but I'd much rather actually see what's going on. Have you used it to test HU's? Fairly easy to use?

15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Still using this bro? Just wondering how it's holding up. Going to pick one up for my new build. Quite a bit of power, so I want to be sure I'm setting things accurately. Does the x1-x10 switch work well?
    Yep, it's a keeper. Mine came with a nice velvet carrying pouch that keeps it safe & cozy. My only concern for durability is the tiny connector on the probe wire. It's a little coaxial plug that I've never seen before, and I dunno how it'll hold up with time so I keep it plugged in all the time. I've noticed that probes are sold separately on eBay now, so even if it gets fugged you can score a new one.

Much easier to tote around than my old Tektronix analog scope. It goes with me anytime I'm working on my system.

dave
    ----------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1828 Post(s)

Yep, it's a keeper. Mine came with a nice velvet carrying pouch that keeps it safe & cozy. My only concern for durability is the tiny connector on the probe wire. It's a little coaxial plug that I've never seen before, and I dunno how it'll hold up with time so I keep it plugged in all the time. I've noticed that probes are sold separately on eBay now, so even if it gets fugged you can score a new one.

Much easier to tote around than my old Tektronix analog scope. It goes with me anytime I'm working on my system.
    Good to hear man. Definitely picking this up. I want to learn more than just looking at a couple lights on a DD-1.Maybe it's just me, but I want to be more educated than that and know as much as possible about the things I am doing. I don't have the cash for a Tektronics, not to mention I don't need the accuracy it offers. I'll only be using this for car audio. I definitely feel as though this will be the most important thing I will spend a little amount of money on.

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2341 Post(s)

That place you got yours from still has them right? If so I'm getting one...

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1828 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bettr n' Revrse View Post
    That place you got yours from still has them right? If so I'm getting one...
    Amazon, Newegg, there's a bunch of places that carry them now. Just google it, you'll get a bunch of hits. Just make sure the probe comes with that x10 switch on it, but I'm pretty sure they all do.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

Also be aware that the DSO's firmware has been updated by third party developers (it's open source) for bug fixes and new functions. The firmware that ships with the 'scope works OK for most people, but the enhanced version is even better.

The DSO Nano hangout...

Seeedstudio Forum • View forum - DSO nano

dave
    ----------

Falcons is offline that **** i dont like

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1375 Post(s)