Closed Thread

Reload Thread: digital eq vs analog eq

buchi is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

digital eq vs analog eq

there are already a lot of digital eqs coming out in the market but some companies still hold on to their analog eqs. which do you think works better?

moreover, whats the best analog (or digital) eq (trunk mount only and not parametric) out there? lemme hear em all.

buchi is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: digital eq vs analog eq

any word on this thread?

slick316 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i would bet that they both will sound the same, meaning, you probably wont hear any difference between the two.
    with that being said, i got a digital EQ for two reasons. one, my DQT from audiocontrol has a port that a remote can be plugged into (mine should arrive soon), allowing me to make EQ adjustments from the drivers seat. two, my EQ allows me to save 8 different EQ curves, so i can have the first one saved as "flat", while the second one is for rap music, and the third for rock, etc. then, i can recall the different settings with the touch of a button.
    my DQT was expensive, and i would believe you can get an analog EQ for a decent price, like the PPI DEQ230, i bet thats like $200-$250, and its a great unit.
    i love my DQT, but it depends are your taste.

2005 Honda Accord EX Sedan
    JL Audio Cleansweep, JL Audio ZR650-CSi, JL Audio 12W3v3 in custom stealthbox like enclosure in trunk, JL Audio A6450, Audiocontrol DQXS w/DDC

Home:
    Sony 32" XBR BRAVIA LCD, Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player, B&W 704 Floorstanders, Rotel RC-1070 Pre amp, Rotel RB-1070 amplifier (130x2), Rotel RCC-1055 5 Disc Changer, HTPC as music server and PVR, and XBOX 360.

adam71 is offline P9 = Ultimate SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=slick316]
    i would bet that they both will sound the same, meaning, you probably wont hear any difference between the two.
    Actually you SHOULD hear a difference. A digital eq is supposed to sound better than an analog eq's. Just like CD's sound better than cassette tapes. I'm not saying everything digital is always better than analog but in this case it is.

my DQT from audiocontrol
    Nice choice bro.....sound good?

the PPI DEQ230, i bet thats like $200-$250, and its a great unit.
    Yes, it is a GREAT unit....I couldn't be happier with mine. Only thing is I haven't seen it retail for any less $325. I bought a used one from a friend for $275. It is a one of a kind though, the chassis was sand blasted and then powder coated black (this is an older model that came white from the factory). You can't see anything on it except the nobs. No numbers or anything, I just have a photocopy of it and use it as a template when I have to adjust it. Sweeeeeeeeet.

Adam

Source Unit: Pioneer P9 combo
    Tweeters: CDT DRT-25 Silk
    Mids: CDT ES-5 (5.25")
    Midbass: CDT M6 (6.5")
    Subs: Pioneer TS-W12PRS
    Mid & Tweet amp: Pioneer PRS-X340
    Midbass Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720
    Sub Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was just curious "slick316" how much was an Audio Control Digital Dash Control retailing for.??

Adam

buchi is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks guys! you really made my mind open just a bit. but after all the research i made and the the sound test ive experienced (a demo of a deq230 and the orion digital eq) and havin measured evrything on a rta, i think both sounded pretty much the same. the only advantage of the analog deq was it was easy to adjust than the digital which you have to scroll to reach the freq you want to adjust. and of course the price difference.

well, with very little difference, i might go with the analog eq. im just thinking how much worth of other gears i could buy with the price difference.

slick316 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

my DQT is great, 30 bands of equalization makes it tough to adjust, but its so nice once you get the right settings.
    the DDC retails for $250, mine still hasnt arrive, but should be coming soon.

btw, my local shop has a PPI DEQ230 on hand, i was going to buy it from them but wanted the DQT instead. it was used once in a comp and thats it, but it may have a scratch on it. its white and i think he wanted $250 on it, let me know if you are interested, i can check on the price for you (it might be cheaper).

2005 Honda Accord EX Sedan
    JL Audio Cleansweep, JL Audio ZR650-CSi, JL Audio 12W3v3 in custom stealthbox like enclosure in trunk, JL Audio A6450, Audiocontrol DQXS w/DDC

Home:
    Sony 32" XBR BRAVIA LCD, Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player, B&W 704 Floorstanders, Rotel RC-1070 Pre amp, Rotel RB-1070 amplifier (130x2), Rotel RCC-1055 5 Disc Changer, HTPC as music server and PVR, and XBOX 360.

Bavarian3 is offline Ownz joo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slick316
    with that being said, i got a digital EQ for two reasons. one, my DQT from audiocontrol has a port that a remote can be plugged into (mine should arrive soon), allowing me to make EQ adjustments from the drivers seat. two, my EQ allows me to save 8 different EQ curves, so i can have the first one saved as "flat", while the second one is for rap music, and the third for rock, etc. then, i can recall the different settings with the touch of a button.
    my DQT was expensive, and i would believe you can get an analog EQ for a decent price, like the PPI DEQ230, i bet thats like $200-$250, and its a great unit.
    i love my DQT, but it depends are your taste.
    sounds awesome man. one Question.

do mostly all EQ's come with curve settings? cuz that would be really reallly helpful as i wouldnt want to have to change it around everytime i listen to different types music.

Upcoming SQ competition ready install...
    -Eclipse cd8053
    -Image Dynamics Cd1Pro MH
    -Image Dynamics 6.5" mids with CX motors and poly cone in custom fiberglass kick panels
    -12" Stereo Integrity Magnum in large sealed fiberglass wheel well enclosure.
    -Viper d1200.1 (sub), Viper 400.2 (mids), David Navone Amp-100 (horns)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by capone28
    sounds awesome man. one Question.

do mostly all EQ's come with curve settings? cuz that would be really reallly helpful as i wouldnt want to have to change it around everytime i listen to different types music.

Are you talking about preset curves?? All cars are different so a curve set in one car would sound alot different in another car. Not to mention with different equipment. If that is NOT what you're talking about then disregard what I said.

Adam

urwhatueati8god is offline He tasted like chicken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adam71
    Actually you SHOULD hear a difference. A digital eq is supposed to sound better than an analog eq's. Just like CD's sound better than cassette tapes. I'm not saying everything digital is always better than analog but in this case it is.
    Wouldn't the analog sound better since the headunit converts the digital unit takes an already analog signal from the headunit, converts it back to digital, and then convert it back to binary? IDK exactly how a digital equilizer works but seems to me that if that is how the digital unit works the analog one would have to be better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by urwhatueati8god
    Wouldn't the analog sound better since the headunit converts the digital unit takes an already analog signal from the headunit, converts it back to digital, and then convert it back to binary? IDK exactly how a digital equilizer works but seems to me that if that is how the digital unit works the analog one would have to be better.
    I don't really know what the ins and outs are of a digital eq, and I would suppose a digital eq would have to incorporate an a/d and a d/a converter. But if they are both of good quality (which they ARE both 24 bit) then the benefit would be that the equalization is done in the digital domain and then converted back to analog to the rca outputs. If thats the case that would be an improvement over an analog eq. What I would like to see is the Audio Control digital units (DQT,DXS,DQX,DQS) with optical digital inputs and outpus as well as analog inputs that way the high end decks could really take advantage of this. Pioneer (Premier) already has this with the DEX-P9 fed to the DEQ-P9. That setup keeps the signal digital until its fed to the amps.

Adam

buchi is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

know what, thats a great idea! i just wanna know if there are existing HUs with optical interconnects coz if there is, darn it would really be of much difference. deq-230? my bro is a distributor in the states, sells them cheap to me. more than half the price! hehehehe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buchi
    know what, thats a great idea! i just wanna know if there are existing HUs with optical interconnects coz if there is, darn it would really be of much difference. deq-230? my bro is a distributor in the states, sells them cheap to me. more than half the price! hehehehe!
    Premier - DEX-P9

Clarion - DRZ-9255

The Orion DEQ-30 digital eq has the opitcal inputs to accept the signal from these decks.

There may be more decks out there with opitcal outputs but those are the only ones I could name off hand.

ADAM

buchi is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

gotta check those HUs out though i doubt if there are any available here in our country.

Closed Thread