Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Newb questions

toph2o is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Newb questions

Hey folks, first post so go easy on me, just looking for some advice from people who know much more about the subject than I do.

I've got a 2006 Mercedes SLK 350 (2 seat convertible) with the 11 speaker Harmon Kardon upgrade. I've replaced the head unit with an AVIC X930BT, which I really like, but the mom and pop store that did the install was evidently staffed by idiots and they (don't laugh!) installed a 100w amp and left quite a mess. Rather than waste more time/money with them, I had Best Buy install a 400w Polk 4 channel amp, but now I'm looking to replace/upgrade the speakers and I want to get as many opinions as possible before shelling out cash, something I should have done in the first place.

The speakers are as follows: 2x 6.5" in the door, 2x 1" in the door triangle, 6x 2.5" midrange (2 in door, 2 behind seat belts, 2 center rear) and 1 disconnected 2.5" center channel.

First I've found it's basically impossible to find 2.5" midrange speakers without WAY overpaying, so I'm not sure what to do with the rears other than maybe replace with the same thing that's there now.

I don't want to give up the little bit of trunk that I've got, so I'm not looking for subs or boxes or anything along those lines. What a different (more knowledgeable) local shop has recommended is a JL 3 way component kit and disconnect all the rear speakers.

My questions:

Would it be worthwhile to find a 6 channel amp and run the rear speakers off of the last 2 channels there?

What about running the JL component kit off the current amp and then later replacing it with a 6 channel and hooking up the rears then?

The only reason I think I want to stick with the rears is they're VERY close to your head, and make up a large portion of what you hear when the top is down, particularly at higher speeds.

Are there any 2.5" midrange that are worth getting? Due to the way the enclosures are built, I can't go even to 3" unfortunately.

Thanks in advance, I've got high hopes for the opinions you guys have!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Newb questions

Bump... Anybody? Anything?

stay_high is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Kinda confused on what your workin with. Im guessing the two 1 inch speakers are tweeters? If you wanted to upgrade the speakers with a 3 way component system your gona have to spend ALOT of money. good 3 ways are not cheap. The shop was right tho this would be the way to go if you wanted to spend the money. You can get good sets of 2 way component speakers (the 6.5 inch mid, tweeter, and crossovers) for way cheaper, run those up front to the first 2 channels of your amp, then run the other 2 channels to the rear 6.5's. Which speakers did best buy hook up to the amp? Also, dont go back to best buy i had horrible experience with them. If your just replacing speakers take the time to do it on your own the right way.

stay_high is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

So i would get a nice set of 2 way components for up front. run those to the first 2 chanels of your polk. Then amp the 2 rear center speakers. get rid of the other 2.5s/front center unless you wanted to run of HU power or get ANOTHER amp for em. IDK wait for someone more experienced to come on here haha just my 2 cents. Whats the model number of the polk amp you have?

5. Thanks toph2o thanked for this post
    gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

The 3-way component set wasn't a bad idea for the front, those should be drop-in. Expensive, but judging by the car you are putting them in, you can afford it. Really, in a convertable, you're going to want to be loud more than have it sound amazing. Of course you still want it to sound good, but with all that road/wind noise you probably won't notice a huge difference between a $200 set and a $1000 set if they are the same volume. What are the specs on your amp (RMS per channel, bridged RMS)? I'd say unhook the rear speakers, drop a 3-way set in the front, and run them off of an amp that will give them the power they need. If you don't like that, then go from there.

dragnix is offline LXIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

3 way front stage? Good luck with that. Can't do it right without dropping some dough

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

if not a 3 way component set ,get a nice 2 way and these CDT Audio Accent Fills AF-256/02BL and these CDT Audio HD-61A if you like i can give you a quote

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay sorry I guess I should have been more clear. Basically what's in each door now is a 3 way component comprised of a 6.5" midbass, 2.5" midrange, and 1" tweeter. Additionally there are 4 2.5" midrange across the back, 2 aimed at the driver's head and 2 at the passenger's head from either side.

The 3 way component set ($600 for JL is the quote I got?) will basically fit in the same spots as the existing door speakers, I'm just concerned about having speakers ONLY in the door and disconnecting the rears, when with the current setup I hear the rear speakers so well. I actually found/ordered some good 2.5" midrange replacements, and those I can replace/install myself when they arrive, hopefully by Friday. With that in mind, I guess my only remaining question is if I went with the JL 3 way component, will I need a 6 channel amp or a second amp, or is there a way I can do it with a 4 channel that would be decent?

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

run them passive

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's part of what's in the door now, the 1" tweeters are in the little triangle by the side view mirrors.

http://dc543.4shared.com/img/3v2cYlJK/s7/IMG_1327.JPG

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toph2o View Post
    Okay sorry I guess I should have been more clear. Basically what's in each door now is a 3 way component comprised of a 6.5" midbass, 2.5" midrange, and 1" tweeter. Additionally there are 4 2.5" midrange across the back, 2 aimed at the driver's head and 2 at the passenger's head from either side.

The 3 way component set ($600 for JL is the quote I got?) will basically fit in the same spots as the existing door speakers, I'm just concerned about having speakers ONLY in the door and disconnecting the rears, when with the current setup I hear the rear speakers so well. I actually found/ordered some good 2.5" midrange replacements, and those I can replace/install myself when they arrive, hopefully by Friday. With that in mind, I guess my only remaining question is if I went with the JL 3 way component, will I need a 6 channel amp or a second amp, or is there a way I can do it with a 4 channel that would be decent?
    What's the RMS rating of the component set? I'd say get a powerful 4 channel: two front channels on the components, and 2 rear speakers per remaining channel.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

JL C5-653 is the component I was looking at, spec sheet says power range: 25-75 watts RMS (225 watts peak).

Also the midranges I got for the rear are here. They're for BMW but will fit exactly:

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...dranges-Front/

EDIT: Specifically on the JL's:
    Power Handling:
    Peak: 450 watts per set / 225 watts each side
    RMS: 300 watts per set / 25-150 watts each side
    Recommended Continuous Power Handling: 75 watts each side
    Last edited by toph2o; 10-11-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Closed Thread