Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reload Thread: sad excuse of a "bench test" by local "car audio shop" ... LOL

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Re: sad excuse of a "bench test" by local "car audio shop" ... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bostonkid92 View Post
    that's true, i wish i did. the thing is, i don't think he had the equipment to do so. he shook his head at using a multi meter...
    In all fairness, he had no need to really use one for what he was going to do.

bostonkid92 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    Figuring out where to start may be tough but the best way is to pick one area you think you are ready to learn more about..then do some searching on forums and such and see what you learn. Then analyze that information and if you not sure on some facts to do contradicting responses just post up.
    yeah, i think i'll do that. it's just there's multiple topics that i'd like to learn about but i know i have to do it one at a time. i appreciate you're time btw. also, thanks jes and chemmins, you're all very helpful and supportive

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In all fairness, he had no need to really use one for what he was going to do.
    well to set the gains. he sure as hell didn't have an o scope. wouldn't a dmm be the next best thing? use the dmm to set the gain to whatever number of volts that formula comes out to (rms*ohms). it would be at least give you a rough idea as to where it should be set right? i could be wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

When "bench testing" an amplifier, you are not settings gains. You are only checking functionality of the amplifier and it's features.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i know but i assumed (yeah, i know assuming isn't smart) they would do a more detailed testing. idk, i guess i had higher hopes. i don't have much for testing equipment so i can't clamp it, or really test for clipping. i just assumed they'd have great equipment. but, you live and you learn i suppose

tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

At least your adventure only cost 15. I recently had a shop install a deh 80prs into my mini. I have worked at this place years ago and had let them do other work so since I was just released from hospital that day decided to let them install it. Well after I had to remove the dash I asked the guy to run a new remote and 2 sets of RCA's to the rear for me. Well after paying an additional 200 for install I go to finish the amp hook up and everything the next day go to turn on and nothing. He ran the RCA's and remote but never connected to head unit which then defated the reason I bought them when I had them at home already. Oh I also had to reinstall my dash for them since he had no clue so I paid 200 to install my own headunit hows that for a good f in te a

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    At least your adventure only cost 15. I recently had a shop install a deh 80prs into my mini. I have worked at this place years ago and had let them do other work so since I was just released from hospital that day decided to let them install it. Well after I had to remove the dash I asked the guy to run a new remote and 2 sets of RCA's to the rear for me. Well after paying an additional 200 for install I go to finish the amp hook up and everything the next day go to turn on and nothing. He ran the RCA's and remote but never connected to head unit which then defated the reason I bought them when I had them at home already. Oh I also had to reinstall my dash for them since he had no clue so I paid 200 to install my own headunit hows that for a good f in te a
    wow that's terrible. the whole reason for this thread was to warn noobs like myself of who you go to for this stuff. i know my issue was small but still. if i wanted to get an install or something, who knows how that would have gone lol it's hard to find good businesses around here. most are fly by night it seems

West is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Ok for me a good bench test would including checking the output levels from the amp.
    But I would expect that I would specifically have to ask for that.

The state of a lot of these audio places is pretty pathetic, at least where I am at, but I suspect you'll find about the same treatment at most places across the country. These shops want to sell and install gear and be done. A lot of the equipment they are dropping in isn't all that great to begin with and the customers don't know any better, they are satisfied as long as it works/sounds half way decent. Reality bites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    Ok for me a good bench test would including checking the output levels from the amp.
    But I would expect that I would specifically have to ask for that.

The state of a lot of these audio places is pretty pathetic, at least where I am at, but I suspect you'll find about the same treatment at most places across the country. These shops want to sell and install gear and be done. A lot of the equipment they are dropping in isn't all that great to begin with and the customers don't know any better, they are satisfied as long as it works/sounds half way decent. Reality bites.
    Very true. I know over half our clients(local ones) just want their system to work and be heard. Other then that, they don't care. We try to explain things and more often then not we are told.. "we don't care man..just make it work".

10. Thanks West thanked for this post
    West is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Very true. I know over half our clients(local ones) just want their system to work and be heard. Other then that, they don't care. We try to explain things and more often then not we are told.. "we don't care man..just make it work".
    Hence the problem... "we don't care... make it work"
    I would love it if local shop's offered competition grade installs...
    I wouldn't mind dropping the extra money if the outcome was noticeably better sound at no hassle to me.

West is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

O and my favorite excuse from one local shop when I asked them to try and tune my system.
    "We could try but we are all deaf from being in this business a while."
    No excuse, if your ears don't work get the equipment to measure the g-d levels and be able to satisfy customers...
    It is a good thing that you try to educate your customers pro...
    Sorry it falls on deaf ears.

tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

wow that's terrible. the whole reason for this thread was to warn noobs like myself of who you go to for this stuff. i know my issue was small but still. if i wanted to get an install or something, who knows how that would have gone lol it's hard to find good businesses around here. most are fly by night it seems
    Well theshop I went to has been in business since 1988 I believe. I worked there in 96 I think more of mine was they have only done 3 mini's that are the new model. It is a PITA to take the dash apart. I was more pissed that I figure I paid extra for interconnects and remote wire so when I removed the HU that I installed in glove box I could just plug n go and I had to remove the new HU myself. Sorry to rant on your thread. I dont want to name them bc they are usually a good shop Ive been around it for 16 years and the **** Mini is the only vehicle that I had an issue like that. But I feel ya on the ask for something and completely blown away by the lack of result.

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

You got what you asked for. So why is it the shop's fault that you expected to be schooled in car audio and are disappointed?

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

yah, if someone asks me to "bench test" and amp, i do just that. i "test" it. this means hooking power, a sub/speaker(s) and an audio sorce. pop on the bench supply and play some music. then, i cycle through some features, like hp/lp/ap, and adjust. i monitor current consumption, and usually let it sit there and play for 10min, but thast is actually being thorough for a simple operation test. what you were thinking was that you were having it "clamped" i can run 100wrms for long periods, and 200rms+ for a few seconds, but that is the limits of my current bench supply. clamping is done in the vehicle for me. you need a monster power supply to do it right, and batteries aren't going to be real accurate, since the voltage will drop far enough to cut the rms in half over 1k, even with 2 really purdy agm's sittin with a full charge.... well, you could get away with 12v readings, but not 14v output.... anyways, an operational test, including head units and speakers is what they usually do, unless you actually ask for it to be "clamped" for output.

...if you ask for a big mac, don't expect a 20pc....

*IF I have forgotten to exchange feedback, please let me know*
    i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i wasn't asking to get schooled, and i was disappointed because if that's what you do for a living, you should know a little more about it so if a customer asks a question, you can answer it. it would be nice to have a local shop that knows what their doing, that's all

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast