Closed Thread

Reload Thread: What to do with AGM battery

Twista89 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What to do with AGM battery

So I just recently replaced my deka with a alpha cell as one day my battery seperator brought the deka down to 8v....So I was wondering what should I do with it. I tried bringing it back to life which it responded alright to. It sits at about 12.3 volts and with the car running will go up to 13 but thats about it. I know it def does not have the power it use to but it does still hold a charge. So it cant be used like a starter battery or something but nothing heavy like running subwoofers. Was wondering if theres any other tricks I can try to bring it back to full power or how should I go about disposing it or making any type of money off it lol...

Headunit: Alpine CDE-117
    Front speakers: Image Dynamics CXS64s
    Rear Speaker: Pioneer TS-D161R
    Speaker Amp: MB Quart DSC4125
    Wiring: Knu KLMX 0/1 GA
    Sub Amp: SAZ-2000
    Subs: 2 12in Alpine Type Rs
    Sub Battery: Deka 9A31

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Re: What to do with AGM battery

Quote Originally Posted by Twista89 View Post
    So I just recently replaced my deka with a alpha cell as one day my battery seperator brought the deka down to 8v....So I was wondering what should I do with it. I tried bringing it back to life which it responded alright to. It sits at about 12.3 volts and with the car running will go up to 13 but thats about it. I know it def does not have the power it use to but it does still hold a charge. So it cant be used like a starter battery or something but nothing heavy like running subwoofers. Was wondering if theres any other tricks I can try to bring it back to full power or how should I go about disposing it or making any type of money off it lol...
    That a bad battery period.You might get $5 for it at a batt place,but other than that,the only benefit that batt is going to do for you ,is help out on your core exchange..get another batt,or keep it till you get ready to buy another, and use it for the core exchange

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

You might try a trickle charger on it over night, and see what it does?You could have a bad alternator as well??I had a bad batt, that burned my regulator up in the alternator, and had to buy both..go figure??My luck runs strangedly

Boomsday is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audiobaun View Post
    You might try a trickle charger on it over night, and see what it does?You could have a bad alternator as well??I had a bad batt, that burned my regulator up in the alternator, and had to buy both..go figure??My luck runs strangedly
    same thing happend to me, battery read fine but had a bad cell, and I went thru 3 alts before I realized what it was.. Pulled it and havent had a problem since

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boomsday View Post
    same thing happend to me, battery read fine but had a bad cell, and I went thru 3 alts before I realized what it was.. Pulled it and havent had a problem since
    Ill tell ya,,it was a sure expensive frustrating lesson to learn.No one knew what was actually going on..I just bit the bullet, and changed the alt, and batts,and have been the answer so far/6mnths

Twista89 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How ironic had to replace my alt about 6 months ago to...good thing I got rid of it to then lol

Headunit: Alpine CDE-117
    Front speakers: Image Dynamics CXS64s
    Rear Speaker: Pioneer TS-D161R
    Speaker Amp: MB Quart DSC4125
    Wiring: Knu KLMX 0/1 GA
    Sub Amp: SAZ-2000
    Subs: 2 12in Alpine Type Rs
    Sub Battery: Deka 9A31

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello Community,

AGM stands for absorption glass mat, so named because these batteries are made up of mats in which thin glass fibres are woven to increase the surface area. This allows the AGM battery to work like the flooded lead acid battery with the exception that the electrolyte in the AGM battery does not freely flood the plates, but rather is held in the glass mats. The thin glass fibres do not absorb the electrolyte nor are they affected by the acidic electrolyte, but simply hold the electrolyte preventing it from spilling when the battery is tipped over. Although the AGM battery is built in a rectangular case that meets BCI battery codes the plates themselves can be just about any shape including flat, cupped or wound. No longer just for use by the military, AGM batteries can be found as starter batteries, marine batteries and deep cycle batteries. There are several advantages to an AGM battery. They are as follows.

1. An AGM battery never needs watering. It is considered to be maintenance free. This makes these batteries ideal to use in situations where getting hold of water to water a battery may be an issue.
    2. AGM batteries don't give off any gas when being charged so there is less worry about having the right ventilation when charging an AGM battery.
    3. AGM batteries can withstand very low temperatures without freezing or cracking.
    4. AGM Batteries are highly vibration resistant due to their sandwich construction, making them the ideal battery to use in circumstances where vibration could otherwise be an issue.

Best Regards,
    Anthony Martello

Imtjnotu is offline Me Gusta Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyMartello View Post
    Hello Community,

AGM stands for absorption glass mat, so named because these batteries are made up of mats in which thin glass fibres are woven to increase the surface area. This allows the AGM battery to work like the flooded lead acid battery with the exception that the electrolyte in the AGM battery does not freely flood the plates, but rather is held in the glass mats. The thin glass fibres do not absorb the electrolyte nor are they affected by the acidic electrolyte, but simply hold the electrolyte preventing it from spilling when the battery is tipped over. Although the AGM battery is built in a rectangular case that meets BCI battery codes the plates themselves can be just about any shape including flat, cupped or wound. No longer just for use by the military, AGM batteries can be found as starter batteries, marine batteries and deep cycle batteries. There are several advantages to an AGM battery. They are as follows.

1. An AGM battery never needs watering. It is considered to be maintenance free. This makes these batteries ideal to use in situations where getting hold of water to water a battery may be an issue.
    2. AGM batteries don't give off any gas when being charged so there is less worry about having the right ventilation when charging an AGM battery.
    3. AGM batteries can withstand very low temperatures without freezing or cracking.
    4. AGM Batteries are highly vibration resistant due to their sandwich construction, making them the ideal battery to use in circumstances where vibration could otherwise be an issue.

Best Regards,
    Anthony Martello

Closed Thread