Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Reload Thread: Prefab a 4 letter word?

Flastrongman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Prefab a 4 letter word?

So I'm very seriously thinking about starting a prefab box company. I know prefab is considered a 4 letter word around the forums, but what if a "prefab" could actually deliver high quality and proven output?

I would like everyone's input on what you would want out of a prefab that might actually make you consider buying one.

Now I realize some would never buy a prefab no matter what, but many on here don't have access to the tools to build a good box and would like an alternative. Not to mention some of the "custom"
    box builds I've seen on here lately look to be barely better than prefab.

So if I could make a prefab at a reasonable cost and it would outperform many custom boxes, what do you guys think would be a fair price?

And please keep if fairly reasonable, if you're going to say "it has to do a guaranteed 140db and I only want to pay $100 shipped", than maybe you should reevaluate what someones time is worth.

I'm really looking for honest feedback to see if this venture would be a waste of time or not.

Refs: diyma-sold to:Mazda3SQ CA.com-traded:matrxx dude CACO- Sold to: Ajax_6154, brandonb1029, TeejayBee traded with: papito FLSPL- Bought from:98chevySPL, JBLCAMRY, traded with:97montecarlo, thumpenranger

rebelfromva is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?

Cool idea. May be hard to create a model that would work on a great variety of woofers though .

09 Cobalt LT
    Headunit -Alpine CDA-9887
    Front Stage - PHD FB 6.1 PRO SIX M/B, FB 5.1 m/b, FB 1.1b tweets
    Highs amp -Pheonix Gold Xenon 100.4 & 200.4
    Sub stage - 2 DC M2 LVL 5 12s
    Sub amp - 2 DC 5.0Ks
    Electrical - Singer 270 alt, big 3 0/1 & 12g ofc audio technix, 2 XS d3400s
    Deadener - 80 mill Audiotechnix deadener
    "Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice"
    TEAM DC AUDIO

Chriszle is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The problem is, a prefab cannot guarantee a certain output. It will vary based on the sub(s) and vehicle.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

very true, but I have design in the works already that will perform very well with a huge variety of common subs band some not so common subs. I'll be testing with at least 5 different brands.

Refs: diyma-sold to:Mazda3SQ CA.com-traded:matrxx dude CACO- Sold to: Ajax_6154, brandonb1029, TeejayBee traded with: papito FLSPL- Bought from:98chevySPL, JBLCAMRY, traded with:97montecarlo, thumpenranger

West is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I honestly think that most of the box designers on this forum can produce great boxes at reasonable prices. Shipping is the deal-breaker.
    The only way to get around that is shipping the box in pieces to reduce volume. I just don't see that working out...

6. Likes av83 liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chriszle View Post
    The problem is, a prefab cannot guarantee a certain output. It will vary based on the sub(s) and vehicle.
    true to a point, but I can test in a variety of vehicles and power ranges so the consumer can get a general idea of output. Clearly, I cannot guarantee any specific number in a specific vehicle. That would be asking for trouble.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    I honestly think that most of the box designers on this forum can produce great boxes at reasonable prices. Shipping is the deal-breaker.
    The only way to get around that is shipping the box in pieces to reduce volume. I just don't see that working out...
    I have this worked out already too.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

great input so far guys, I really appreciate this. Can you please start throwing some numbers out there so I can get an idea of a starting price range.

infamous_e46 is offline hArRy_DaNgLeRs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

answer yo **** messages

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM923 View Post
    Damn, look at that midget ***...love me a midget ***. 3 foot 4 standing up, 3 foot 6 sitting down.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaellane View Post
    don dont come in here ruining my thread. i hate you and jose

www.alphadamp.com
    Got Mad Feedback Son http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/364675-infamous_e46s-feedback-thread.html#post5697823

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

There is a reason why over all the years I have done this but never made "prefab" enclosures. You need to have a CNC or the whole idea will fail right away from not being able to keep up.

Easiest and simple answer is, you can not make a magic enclosure. You could make a basic prefab with better build quality. However, that will not sell it on it's own. You also have to come in at a price cheaper then having one custom built.

In all honesty, if you are in a position to work with various distributors around the country that is your better option. That way they purchase pallet loads off setting shipping costs. ebay or direct will simply not work out very well.

CHEMMINS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Prefab = Junk

No matter how you market it.....it will be classified as junk.

You need to do....."Custom Fit to Vehicle and Sub Box - Builder" Even if it is a prefab, you modify to accommodate the sub.

References:
    kmarei, ge_off_me, AudioPipe, slim2fattycake, Louisiana_CRX, ARMed&Bangin, EXTREMECHEVYMAN, Dpc69ss, Psychoacoustics, Shinju, jonny101abc, snoopdan

BUYING SILVER TOP TRF MOTORS

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    There is a reason why over all the years I have done this but never made "prefab" enclosures.

Easiest and simple answer is, you can not make a magic enclosure. You could make a basic prefab with better build quality. However, that will not sell it on it's own. You also have to come in at a price cheaper then having one custom built.

In all honesty, if you are in a position to work with various distributors around the country that is your better option. That way they purchase pallet loads off setting shipping costs. ebay or direct will simply not work out very well.
    good advice sir. I actually already make a good amount of these boxes for local dealers. I've thought expanding to more dealers is the way to go, but I'd still like to see if I could offer these on some of the forums and ebay too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Could always do preloaded enclosures that are vehicle specific though....they would be new (other than JL or MTX).

References:
    kmarei, ge_off_me, AudioPipe, slim2fattycake, Louisiana_CRX, ARMed&Bangin, EXTREMECHEVYMAN, Dpc69ss, Psychoacoustics, Shinju, jonny101abc, snoopdan

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMMINS View Post
    Prefab = Junk

No matter how you market it.....it will be classified as junk.

You need to do....."Custom Fit to Vehicle and Sub Box - Builder" Even if it is a prefab, you modify to accommodate the sub.

I think I can destroy that sterotype sir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Most people will quit listening as soon as they hear prefab though. Everyone wants custom. You can be drug down by association with people who make generic enclosures.

I do like the preloaded idea though, or offer a small selection of drivers that would work optimal in the enclosure.

References:

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMMINS View Post
    Most people will quit listening as soon as they hear prefab though. Everyone wants custom. You can be drug down by association with people who make generic enclosures.

I do like the preloaded idea though, or offer a small selection of drivers that would work optimal in the enclosure.
    yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. NOW give me a good price point! lol

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast