Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 122

Reload Thread: Prefab a 4 letter word?

  1. #16
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

    Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flastrongman View Post

    I have this worked out already too.
    There's no way I am assembling my own box, unless I am building it from scratch. (Just in case that is the way it "works out.") lol

    More power to you if you can make good boxes at a low price. I have to tell you, for people to go for a prefab instead of a custom box you would have to have the total price be from $130-150 for a 3 cubic box. Around 80$ of that is going to be eaten up by shipping. That's not my needs/wants, that's what I believe the market could bare... You have to figure your going to be competing with the ultra-crappy boxes people can snatch up for 50-80$ shipped and you will need to offer some serious advantages to attract people who aren't super educated on the benefits of having a good box as opposed to a $50 special.







  2. #17
    CHEMMINS's Avatar
    CHEMMINS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Nevernever Land
    Posts
    4,081
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?

    It would depend on the complexity of the enclosure. Some are much easier than others. I would look at the current price of prefabs, and do 10-20% more.



    References:
    kmarei, ge_off_me, AudioPipe, slim2fattycake, Louisiana_CRX, ARMed&Bangin, EXTREMECHEVYMAN, Dpc69ss, Psychoacoustics, Shinju, jonny101abc, snoopdan

    BUYING SILVER TOP TRF MOTORS



  3. #18
    hellz's Avatar
    hellz is offline Member



    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Burnsville,mn
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?

    ill ask this straight out, so my apologies before hand.

    what are you doing different that the enclosure companies arent doing?
    whatever your answer is.. how is that going to get out to the customer, and will the customer care?
    you will be dumping alot into publicity.

    this also brings up another question.. if this just a garage idea, or an actual business plan?

    If this is a garage plan, i can see it making some profits from word of mouth on forums, but i wouldnt rely on my rent/mortage checks to come from this. more like extra gas/beer $$
    if this is a real business plan, i see it failing due to the amount of $$ that you will be putting in to publicity trying to seperate yourself from the junk makers out there.
    i further see it failing due to this is a niche market. you will need to produce a product that will make anyone with a car want to buy your product.. at which point they will prolly check ebay or the kid down there street.

    dont want to seem like a hater, but if you havent asked yourself these questions or similiar, you are that serious about this yet.




  4. #19
    Flastrongman's Avatar
    Flastrongman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ft Myers FL
    Posts
    1,845
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?

    Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    There's no way I am assembling my own box, unless I am building it from scratch. (Just in case that is the way it "works out.") lol

    More power to you if you can make good boxes at a low price. I have to tell you, for people to go for a prefab instead of a custom box you would have to have the total price be from $130-150 for a 3 cubic box. Around 80$ of that is going to be eaten up by shipping. That's not my needs/wants, that's what I believe the market could bare... You have to figure your going to be competing with the ultra-crappy boxes people can snatch up for 50-80$ shipped and you will need to offer some serious advantages to attract people who aren't super educated on the benefits of having a good box as opposed to a $50 special.
    no assembly required by the end user lol. Shipping will not cost anywhere near $80 for me. And yes there will be very serious advantages over a crappy prefab. I would not even bother if it was not going to be 10x better. It will actually be competitive with many of the "custom" boxes found on your popular forums.



    Refs: diyma-sold to:Mazda3SQ CA.com-traded:matrxx dude CACO- Sold to: Ajax_6154, brandonb1029, TeejayBee traded with: papito FLSPL- Bought from:98chevySPL, JBLCAMRY, traded with:97montecarlo, thumpenranger

  5. #20
    Flastrongman's Avatar
    Flastrongman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ft Myers FL
    Posts
    1,845
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?

    Quote Originally Posted by CHEMMINS View Post
    It would depend on the complexity of the enclosure. Some are much easier than others. I would look at the current price of prefabs, and do 10-20% more.
    even 20% more than average prefabs is not possible when you can buy some prefabs for $50. For one it will be all Birch construction



    Refs: diyma-sold to:Mazda3SQ CA.com-traded:matrxx dude CACO- Sold to: Ajax_6154, brandonb1029, TeejayBee traded with: papito FLSPL- Bought from:98chevySPL, JBLCAMRY, traded with:97montecarlo, thumpenranger

  6. #21
    pro-rabbit's Avatar
    pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Age
    32
    Posts
    12,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

    Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flastrongman View Post
    I think I can destroy that sterotype sir.
    Honestly, that is and always will be the status of those enclosures with no variance. There is a good reason for that as well.


    I also build enclosures for 100's of shops around the world(yes we have a few we build for over seas) but they are still designed around their marketed products and what vehicles they see the most of. So while they are still a type of "prefab" they are not at the same time. None of our shops have the same designs except for a few that use the same products with similar vehicle specs for their average client.

    With that said, I would not base my business on that industry as the prices of "prefabs" from over seas will always out weigh what any of us can do. If someone is looking for a "prefab" they are not looking to spend money.




  7. #22
    Flastrongman's Avatar
    Flastrongman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ft Myers FL
    Posts
    1,845
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?

    Quote Originally Posted by hellz View Post
    ill ask this straight out, so my apologies before hand.

    what are you doing different that the enclosure companies arent doing?
    whatever your answer is.. how is that going to get out to the customer, and will the customer care?
    you will be dumping alot into publicity.

    this also brings up another question.. if this just a garage idea, or an actual business plan?

    If this is a garage plan, i can see it making some profits from word of mouth on forums, but i wouldnt rely on my rent/mortage checks to come from this. more like extra gas/beer $$
    if this is a real business plan, i see it failing due to the amount of $$ that you will be putting in to publicity trying to seperate yourself from the junk makers out there.
    i further see it failing due to this is a niche market. you will need to produce a product that will make anyone with a car want to buy your product.. at which point they will prolly check ebay or the kid down there street.

    dont want to seem like a hater, but if you havent asked yourself these questions or similiar, you are that serious about this yet.

    all of this has been considered as I have ran a successful business before. The product will speak for itself when I release any real info on it.



    Refs: diyma-sold to:Mazda3SQ CA.com-traded:matrxx dude CACO- Sold to: Ajax_6154, brandonb1029, TeejayBee traded with: papito FLSPL- Bought from:98chevySPL, JBLCAMRY, traded with:97montecarlo, thumpenranger

  8. #23
    CHEMMINS's Avatar
    CHEMMINS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Nevernever Land
    Posts
    4,081
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flastrongman View Post
    even 20% more than average prefabs is not possible when you can buy some prefabs for $50. For one it will be all Birch construction
    And why all birch? To me as the end consumer....All I see is you tried to save weight. I'd rather have mdf and be cheaper in the end.



    References:
    kmarei, ge_off_me, AudioPipe, slim2fattycake, Louisiana_CRX, ARMed&Bangin, EXTREMECHEVYMAN, Dpc69ss, Psychoacoustics, Shinju, jonny101abc, snoopdan

    BUYING SILVER TOP TRF MOTORS



  9. #24
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

    Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flastrongman View Post
    no assembly required by the end user lol. Shipping will not cost anywhere near $80 for me. And yes there will be very serious advantages over a crappy prefab. I would not even bother if it was not going to be 10x better. It will actually be competitive with many of the "custom" boxes found on your popular forums.
    Try for $125 shipped... Amazon and eBay are where I would try to sell at and on the forums.
    Creating a market between crap and custom is going to be the challenge.

    I don't see many "middle of the road" people they are either going to go crap or custom...
    Post some videos of your boxes vs crap boxes hopefully you can get the point across.

    That's my 2 cents, hope it helps.




  10. #25
    Flastrongman's Avatar
    Flastrongman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ft Myers FL
    Posts
    1,845
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?

    I am a hobbyist first in car audio so my passion will always push the envelope of what is supposed to be possible with a certain idea. Making a better product has always set me apart in the past. I've never had to advertise.



    Refs: diyma-sold to:Mazda3SQ CA.com-traded:matrxx dude CACO- Sold to: Ajax_6154, brandonb1029, TeejayBee traded with: papito FLSPL- Bought from:98chevySPL, JBLCAMRY, traded with:97montecarlo, thumpenranger

  11. #26
    Flastrongman's Avatar
    Flastrongman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ft Myers FL
    Posts
    1,845
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?

    Quote Originally Posted by CHEMMINS View Post
    And why all birch? To me as the end consumer....All I see is you tried to save weight. I'd rather have mdf and be cheaper in the end.
    Not cheaper in the end when I can get birch for the same price as mdf. It cuts my shipping weight in half and makes a better box.



    Refs: diyma-sold to:Mazda3SQ CA.com-traded:matrxx dude CACO- Sold to: Ajax_6154, brandonb1029, TeejayBee traded with: papito FLSPL- Bought from:98chevySPL, JBLCAMRY, traded with:97montecarlo, thumpenranger

  12. #27
    SourDeez's Avatar
    SourDeez is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Fuqy u
    Posts
    4,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

    Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?

    I would not buy one



    Headunit - Stock cassette player - Pioneer P9400
    Front Stage - Pyle 8 inch subs (1000 watt peak!!) - Polk DB6.5 (about to be CDT 6.5s)
    Rear stage - Deleted (stolen) - Deleted
    Sub stage - custom built 15 inch sony xplod (5k watt peak!!!) (huge box) - Two SA12's built by Corey
    Sub amp - Pyle 8000w peak!! (spl edition) - AQ2200
    Electircal - 35 amp alt from ford festiva upgrade, stolen battery, 28 gauge solder coil for my cable - Dual D34 Yellows, 1/0 trystar OFC, 135amp alt

  13. #28
    CHEMMINS's Avatar
    CHEMMINS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Nevernever Land
    Posts
    4,081
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flastrongman View Post
    Not cheaper in the end when I can get birch for the same price as mdf. It cuts my shipping weight in half and makes a better box.

    But you just said you need to charge more because it is birch....yet you pay the same? To the consumer the wood won't matter. Also the acoustical properties between birch lam and mdf is negligible. I know for a fact you are not getting Baltic Birch for the same price as MDF.



    References:
    kmarei, ge_off_me, AudioPipe, slim2fattycake, Louisiana_CRX, ARMed&Bangin, EXTREMECHEVYMAN, Dpc69ss, Psychoacoustics, Shinju, jonny101abc, snoopdan

    BUYING SILVER TOP TRF MOTORS



  14. #29
    pro-rabbit's Avatar
    pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Age
    32
    Posts
    12,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

    Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flastrongman View Post
    Not cheaper in the end when I can get birch for the same price as mdf. It cuts my shipping weight in half and makes a better box.
    You don't pay for the weight of an enclosure. You will pay bulk weight 90% of the time.




  15. #30
    infamous_e46's Avatar
    infamous_e46 is offline hArRy_DaNgLeRs



    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    25,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

    Re: Prefab a 4 letter word?




    Quote Originally Posted by RyanM923 View Post
    Damn, look at that midget ***...love me a midget ***. 3 foot 4 standing up, 3 foot 6 sitting down.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaellane View Post
    don dont come in here ruining my thread. i hate you and jose

    www.alphadamp.com
    Got Mad Feedback Son http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/364675-infamous_e46s-feedback-thread.html#post5697823

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. We have the Official Word for the Team
    By RangerMan in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-01-2003, 09:00 AM
  2. When somebody says the words "best amps made" you think....
    By Brutus2600 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-11-2002, 11:11 AM
  3. whats the word on jensen amps??
    By matt31 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-04-2002, 12:28 PM
  4. Is "dood" a word in ANY dictionary?
    By F16Fxer4real in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-03-2002, 01:42 PM
  5. is steryotype a word in any dictionary?
    By audiolife in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-01-2002, 06:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum