Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reload Thread: Sound quality from an Ipod?

Alrojoca is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sound quality from an Ipod?

Quote Originally Posted by ladysmanfelpz View Post
    Oh so its downgrading your higher quality music to save space. Unchecked!!
    Yes!
    For example if your library has 320K files, when you uncheck convert higher bit rate songs, everything you transfer to your ipod will be on 320K, if you had playlists and songs on your ipod at 128k or 256K that were converted to a lower bit rate those will stay at the low bit rate, to change them you need to delete them then transfer them from your library to your ipod.

alexn09 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This probably sounds dumb but try turning down the output volume of the iPod. The stock stereo on my NISSAN would distort playing music downloaded from itunes and not pandora and I assumed that it's because pandora as a lower output level.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
    Yes!
    For example if your library has 320K files, when you uncheck convert higher bit rate songs, everything you transfer to your ipod will be on 320K, if you had playlists and songs on your ipod at 128k or 256K that were converted to a lower bit rate those will stay at the low bit rate, to change them you need to delete them then transfer them from your library to your ipod.
    Wait delete them? are you saying if it was checked and you synced they were all synced at 256 kbps and they only way to get them back to 320k is delete and resync with the box unchecked? Will i tunes not rewrite the songs to 320k automatically with my next sync?

Devil Tiger is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
    You can only go from higher memory files to lower memory files, you can not convert a 128k file from the library to your ipod and make it a 320K or 256K file. When you first hook your ipod to your computer go to the main pages where it shows info./ memory etc. there is an option to check. Chances are you have it set to convert files to 256K even though you have 320K, this is to save memory, uncheck this, the problem is the files your ipod will be 256k and you need delete files in your ipod then move playlists and songs from your library that are 320K back to your ipod/iphone. Just make sure you uncheck that option to convert them before you move files to your ipod.
    Bad recordings will sound bad regardless of the rate you choose, but sound always better with a high rate.
    Songs don't have memory, 128k/320k etc. is the bitrate. And when you refer to "saving memory" on the iPod that is also incorrect. You are saving disk space not memory. I think you are confused on what memory actually is and are referring to anything and everything as memory...

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6

Source Unit: Pioneer AVIC-X9115BT
    Front Stage: CDT Comps
    Rear Stage: Stock JBL Ovals
    Sub Stage: 15" Memphis M3 Mojo Quad 1
    Amps: Rockford Fosgate P800.4 - Memphis 16-MC1.1100
    Wire: 1/0 + 4 AWG OFC Power

5. Thanks groundpound4200 thanked for this post
    d77543020 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

cds are on there way out so get use to it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ladysmanfelpz View Post
    Wait delete them? are you saying if it was checked and you synced they were all synced at 256 kbps and they only way to get them back to 320k is delete and resync with the box unchecked? Will i tunes not rewrite the songs to 320k automatically with my next sync?
    I can only speak for my experience, I had a playlist and all files were 320K, I had the option to convert files to 256K checked, then I unchecked the option and the playlist on the ipod still had the playlist at 256K. Maybe if you re sync in, it will change but in my case I do not think it did. I had to delete it then move it from the library to my ipod or phone to have it in 320K. Since re sync does not harm anything why don't you try it and let me know if your files in your ipod change to 320K. You need to click on music on your ipod select a song with the left side of the mouse and click on info to see the file size and info.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Tiger View Post
    Songs don't have memory, 128k/320k etc. is the bitrate. And when you refer to "saving memory" on the iPod that is also incorrect. You are saving disk space not memory. I think you are confused on what memory actually is and are referring to anything and everything as memory...
    If you use 320k files in your ipod versus 128K, you will have almost 3 times less songs on the ipod than if you use 128K files. This sure takes more memory on the ipod this is why apple has the option to check/convert files to a lower bit rate to save more memory on your ipod and have more songs, if you use apple lossless, it will take the whole memory on your ipod and have only 1/8 or less songs compared to 128K.
    Last edited by Alrojoca; 09-25-2012 at 12:49 PM.

groundpound4200 is offline Da fuq did I just read?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I covert everything as VBR from store purchased CDs and I get upwards of 900k on some songs. Usually the more complex (ie. range and dynamics) the higher the rate will be but it takes up a lot of room on your iPod. I bought a 160G classic so long hair don't care.

2007 Honda Pilot 2008 Nissan Maxima
    2 RD D9s strapped @ 1 ohm Sundown SAZ-1500D V.3
    2 Sundown Nightshade V.2s 2 10" Atomic APX
    Sundown SAX-125.2 x 2 Sundown SAX-100.4
    Sundown NeoPro 6.5"s, JL ZR Tweets Sundown NeoPros

RIP Taylor aka NewAgeKing, you are missed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i hook my iphone to my deck and the sound quality is alot better than a cd and it dont skip from the bass! lol but i do use a built in ipod connector not an aux jack. that could be why.

Full Tilt is offline Bonafide MAFer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I use an iPod with the white USB cable going into my head unit - sounds about equal to using CDs. If you can, maybe try a flash drive, or whatever those things are called.

Quote Originally Posted by T.I.K. View Post
    Careful, by those definitions Spider Monkey is a contributing member, I don't think he even knows what a subwoofer is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truman View Post
    Thanks quackhead. Your the only person who agrees with me. Jesus Christ I have like 40 post and I've been called a ******* like 37 times

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some times the ipod dock cable to usb does sound better than CD's or we think it does. A lot depends on the sound settings you have for the CD player (sometimes they are saved and they are different) and sometimes some HU's do not have good D/A converters or simply they are not good quality cd players.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2