Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Do I want...

Montana is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Do I want...

Alright, so, I've only been doing car audio for roughly 1 month now, I am just starting.

I am starting to gather information to do my first REAL project, because right now I just have four 12s in the back of my Lincoln, and it's NOT ENOUGH. (Yes that means they are bad subs, I know, they are mismatched and all sorts of uglyness. Random subs I've come across, 2x Kenwood, 1 Pioneer, then a SA-12 D4)

My orgnial plan was to run just 2 SA-12 D4s, however, I am changing my plans.

So my question for you is, 6 10s, or 4 12s?

I am interested in just sheer throat rattling, it's all about those DBs.

I don't know what kind of subs I'll be getting, if I go 10s or 12s, still up in the air.

I know there is a lot of unanswered, but give me what input you can!

/Discuss

RangerDangerV2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Re: Do I want...

start small and build your way up. dont go big right away otherwise you will miss the entire learning part of this hobby and you are setting yourself up for failure.

1999 Tahoe
    2 sa12s
    4th order
    145.18 @33z... with less than 500 watts!

cyn
    cyn is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Get 2 SA 12"s stick with that for a few months, work on learning box setups etc... then go bigger.. take the time and go up in stages.. don't JUMP unless you have very deep deep pockets

2007 Chevy Impala LT
    HU: Clarion CZ500 Front Speakers: CDT HD6.1
    Sub: 15" SSA ICON Box: 3.6 cubes net tuned to 32hz Amp: Sub: ED NINE.1 / Front Stage: American Bass Hybrid 4chan
    [COLOR="red"]Sold To: Traded With : Bah ask around a lot of fscking people period.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I did start small, I started with 2 Keenwoods that pushed 300Watts between the two, and I've worked myself up to 4 12s, upgraded everything along the way, learned more about amps, wiring, caps are useless, big 3, I've picked up a fair amount. But what I want to do is the next step up, wouldn't you say? I'm already pushing 4 12s, I mean sure they aren't high end subs, but I don't want to buy high end subs unless that's what my build is going to be, that I intend to keep for a while. This is going to be my first REAL build as I mentioned, I've changed something every week for about 1.5 months now ( i know I said i started a month ago :P), This is my next step, I just want to know what I should be looking more into, the 12s, or the 10s.. So I can start looking into enclosure designs, amps, subs, batterys, the whole gig.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyn View Post
    Get 2 SA 12"s stick with that for a few months, work on learning box setups etc... then go bigger.. take the time and go up in stages.. don't JUMP unless you have very deep deep pockets
    Alright, I was considering that, I'll just build a nice box up to full specs. However, I want to push more then 2, more like, 4, I have room, same concept just bigger box and more wiring ;-)

Edit: How do I learn "box setups, ect..." if I don't upgrade, Build boxes for the hell of it? :P I guess I could do that and sell them... ;-P

cyn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    I did start small, I started with 2 Keenwoods that pushed 300Watts between the two, and I've worked myself up to 4 12s, upgraded everything along the way, learned more about amps, wiring, caps are useless, big 3, I've picked up a fair amount. But what I want to do is the next step up, wouldn't you say? I'm already pushing 4 12s, I mean sure they aren't high end subs, but I don't want to buy high end subs unless that's what my build is going to be, that I intend to keep for a while. This is going to be my first REAL build as I mentioned, I've changed something every week for about 1.5 months now ( i know I said i started a month ago :P), This is my next step, I just want to know what I should be looking more into, the 12s, or the 10s.. So I can start looking into enclosure designs, amps, subs, batterys, the whole gig.

You have 4 mismatched subs from what you said... Get 2 Good subs then go from there.. I've been doing this for years and i'm still learning... going from crappy to decent to good to great is a big difference in sound and everything you looking for... Leaves room to move up within the group you are going on

2007 Chevy Impala LT
    Sub: 15" SSA ICON Box: 3.6 cubes net tuned to 32hz Amp: Sub: ED NINE.1 / Front Stage: American Bass Hybrid 4chan
    [COLOR="red"]Sold To: Traded With : Bah ask around a lot of fscking people period.

7. Thanks RangerDangerV2 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

You have 4 mismatched subs from what you said... Get 2 Good subs then go from there.. I've been doing this for years and i'm still learning... going from crappy to decent to good to great is a big difference in sound and everything you looking for... Leaves room to move up within the group you are going on

Sure do have 4 mismatched subs, however, I mentioned that I didn't want to continue my buying of SA-12 D4s unless I knew what I was doing as my current project, as I mentioned I kind of thought about running 6 10s, instead of 4 12s. I believe I'll just keep buying my SA-12 D4s.

Hey random Q for you: So my Sa-12 D4 is a 4Ohm sub, so it's 2Ohm per voice coil, right?
    Edit: ^ Duh, yes.

RangerDangerV2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Sure do have 4 mismatched subs, however, I mentioned that I didn't want to continue my buying of SA-12 D4s unless I knew what I was doing as my current project, as I mentioned I kind of thought about running 6 10s, instead of 4 12s. I believe I'll just keep buying my SA-12 D4s.

Hey random Q for you: So my Sa-12 D4 is a 4Ohm sub, so it's 2Ohm per voice coil, right?
    no. if it is a d4 it is 4ohms per coil.

1999 Tahoe
    2 sa12s
    4th order
    145.18 @33z... with less than 500 watts!

cyn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

No... its 4ohm per coil... a D2 would be 2ohm per coil.. I would venture to bet that SA in a good box by it self would be louder than them 4 mixmatched thigns you got in there now.

2007 Chevy Impala LT

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

No... its 4ohm per coil... a D2 would be 2ohm per coil.. I would venture to bet that SA in a good box by it self would be louder than them 4 mixmatched thigns you got in there now.
    Well, I'm about to find out. Going to build a 5Cube box tuned at 35Hz, to run my two SA-12 D4s, (2nd SA on the way in the mail)

I got two full sheets of MDF laying outside, and a lot of liquid nails. ;-P

Edit: Do I want about 4.5 Cubes? They call for 2 Cube each, what about Subwoofer displacement. How much do I account for.

cyn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Well, I'm about to find out. Going to build a 5Cube box tuned at 35Hz, to run my two SA-12 D4s, (2nd SA on the way in the mail)

I got two full sheets of MDF laying outside, and a lot of liquid nails. ;-P

Edit: Do I want about 4.5 Cubes? They call for 2 Cube each, what about Subwoofer displacement. How much do I account for.
    I would do more along the lines of 4 cubes net.. tuned to around 32hz.. What amp do you have?

2007 Chevy Impala LT

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I would do more along the lines of 4 cubes net.. tuned to around 32hz.. What amp do you have?
    Brutus 1700... I kind of f*cked myself not knowing much when I ordered it, I either wire the D4s to 1OHM and push 1700 (850 per when it only calls for 600rms) or at 4ohm and run 600... (300per >_>)

Will I blow my SA-D4s at 850 ?? Someone said "knowing Sundown they can take 700 no problem" But 850 is a bit above and beyond... Should I sell something, either amp or both subs and just bite the lose before I bite a blown sub? Because they are running 850 now (Or atleast the one is) I don't push it hard, it's only been hooked up for above a day, but is it still pulling the full 850 regaurdless?

Edit: I could make a box for the SA-12 D4 I got, and try to sell it locally for $225, demo it out for people and it'll be sold. Local all we have is KICKER, lololol. Plus it'll be box practice!

cyn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Brutus 1700... I kind of f*cked myself not knowing much when I ordered it, I either wire the D4s to 1OHM and push 1700 (850 per when it only calls for 600rms) or at 4ohm and run 600... (300per >_>)

Will I blow my SA-D4s at 850 ?? Someone said "knowing Sundown they can take 700 no problem" But 850 is a bit above and beyond... Should I sell something, either amp or both subs and just bite the lose before I bite a blown sub? Because they are running 850 now (Or atleast the one is) I don't push it hard, it's only been hooked up for above a day, but is it still pulling the full 850 regaurdless?
    That amp will NOT do rated power... they might see 600-700 each.. as long as you set the GAINS correctly them SA's will take the power all day long... I would have someone Design a box for them subs for the car/truck you have talk to Buck / Mobile Enclosures / Pro Rabitt etc.. on here...

2007 Chevy Impala LT

Villeza1 is offline Night Ryder

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That amp will NOT do rated power... they might see 600-700 each.. as long as you set the GAINS correctly them SA's will take the power all day long... I would have someone Design a box for them subs for the car/truck you have talk to Buck / Mobile Enclosures / Pro Rabitt etc.. on here...
    @Buck
    @pro-rabbit
    @RAM_Designs
    @Moble Enclosurs

2 AB 1100.1's
    4 Tantric Sounds SHD 18's
    Team Tantric Sounds

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)

dump all the 12's get 15's ,2 in the trunk on 2000 watts rms .you wont be disappointed

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast