Closed Thread

Reload Thread: help upgrading my stock system

chuckle490 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

help upgrading my stock system

I know next to nothing about car audio but i love music( I listen to bass music). I want get better bass in my stock 2001 ford ranger but i dont even really know how to start. Im going to geta new head unit next week with an aux port so i can listen off my ipod. After that i dont know where to start. I want a lot more bass and my truck has pretty powerful speakers already so would it be possible to get a sub and leave everything else stock? If so should i get a preloaded sub or should i purchase the amp and subwoofer seperate? Or do i need to invest in even better speakers first? Should i get everything from the same brand?Also im young and dont get paid very much so id like to get sound for a good price! Im willing to spend maybe $400 overall! Thanks for helping me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: help upgrading my stock system

Quote Originally Posted by chuckle490 View Post
    I know next to nothing about car audio but i love music( I listen to bass music). I want get better bass in my stock 2001 ford ranger but i dont even really know how to start. Im going to geta new head unit next week with an aux port so i can listen off my ipod. After that i dont know where to start. I want a lot more bass and my truck has pretty powerful speakers already so would it be possible to get a sub and leave everything else stock? If so should i get a preloaded sub or should i purchase the amp and subwoofer seperate? Or do i need to invest in even better speakers first? Should i get everything from the same brand?Also im young and dont get paid very much so id like to get sound for a good price! Im willing to spend maybe $400 overall! Thanks for helping me!
    Ext. Cab or reg. cab? You will get good results from one 10" sub in a good ported box. Are you decent with measuring, cutting and gluing wood? It would save you some $ if you build the box yourself. Get a amp that is flexible enough to power another sub if you decided to add one down the road. ....something like this:

AQ750 Amplifier
    WoofersEtc.com - E-10D4 - Sundown Audio 10" Dual 4-Ohm E Series Subwoofer E10D4
    4 gauge amplifier installation kit
    WoofersEtc.com - SNI-35 - PAC Variable Line Converter ...it would be wise to get a hu with rca pre amp outs and not need the PAC.

Something like that ought to leave you enough to buy some wood.
    Last edited by quackhead; 09-16-2012 at 01:31 AM.

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

chuckle490 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its an extended cab. So i can jump straight into buying a sub? And if i make my own enclosure how exactly should i do that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckle490 View Post
    its an extended cab. So i can jump straight into buying a sub? And if i make my own enclosure how exactly should i do that?
    Here is a very nice alternative for a very capable and balanced system. I might be easier for you to cut a couple of spacers and slap on some sound deadening material for a good mid-bass output than tackle a sub box (and will be wayy more beneficial to your system.)

MB Quart ONX4.125 - 1000W RMS ONYX 4-Channel Car Amplifier/Amp
    Run the front channels to the comps and the rear channels bridged to the sub.

Polk Audio db6501 6.5" 2-way Component Car Speakers System (db 6501)
    A decent set of comps that will last. Mount the midbasses in the doors with modifications , if necessary( such as wood spacers, etc.) Mount the tweets up on the dash corners or window pillars to bring the sound stage up and out in front of you. With good imaging, a good midbass install and good power, you will be wayy ahead in the game.

400W Boston Acoustics 12" G112PS GTuned Series Loaded Enclosure (if it fits)
    A very good deal here. Boston is a good brand. The box has good airspace, tuned low with good port area and the driver is fuse protected to keep you from over powering it too much. For the price, you can sell this on Craigslist a year from now and get your money back, if you decide later to build a custom substage with a dedicated amp with much higher power and maybe multiple subs, etc.

This would be my choice for a good, solid starter system with the ability to sound real good on any type of music.
    Last edited by quackhead; 09-17-2012 at 04:07 AM.

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

lilboom is offline Car stereo for fun

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 12s sealed on like 3-500 watts is all you going to need you might even get wayay with 10s or single 10 or 12 . eatherway should only run you around 300 cash if you install it all youself
    also depeds on the brads and where you choose to shop .
    2 Kicker C128 sonicelectronix $59 each
    600watt maxx orion 2 channel Orion Cobalt CO6002 $85 sonicelectronix
    Sonic Sub Box: 2H12-1.5 $25 sonicelectronix
    8GUAGE AMPkit like 15 buck and speaker wire like 5 bucks
    screws for the subs maybe 2$
    probably some velcro to stop the box from moving around to much if any.. $cheap

You also may be abe to get a better/bigger box i dnt know what you can fit in ther but say you only can get 1 sub box the go something like 1 cvr 12 still going to be louder and much improved .

CAR STEREO INTALLATIONS Enclosures
    Custom car modifications

Closed Thread