Closed Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Reload Thread: Possibly starting my own line of woofers...

audio_phill is offline Walking TSP Encyclopedia

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Re: Possibly starting my own line of woofers...

Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    Definitely a huge BL. How tight is the gap?

No neo motor for me? Don't be greedy if you have one
    Found it...

No neo option, and the gap is tight but no measurements of clearance on hand.

Bought From: Funky Waves, Realbeach, Farmacist Louisiana_CRX, Lingerfelt, ciaonzo, SPY (X2), tristanmay, bigbassjoel, Sound_Around, tristanmay

Sold To: alfabit1, Sound_Around, jonalford2087, woodels420, pangullo, chico305, ciaonzo, darkkon, faessle, UNDERGROUND_BUM, JCJR, adrian1185, fast306stang, tristanmay, biggen_bd, mwerling1212, ntfish, nate56

Traded With: HiloDB1, ciaonzo, tristanmay, Jh8909, fritosaregood, eCrack.net

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audio_phill View Post
    Found it...

No neo option, and the gap is tight but no measurements of clearance on hand.
    I was asking if you had a SHOCKER neo motor stashed away somewhere. I know you have some scarce TC built stuff. Anyway, yeah, gap must be pretty snug to get that kind of BL without a pile of 10" slugs or neo... that's quite an impressive driver.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    I was asking if you had a SHOCKER neo motor stashed away somewhere. I know you have some scarce TC built stuff. Anyway, yeah, gap must be pretty snug to get that kind of BL without a pile of 10" slugs or neo... that's quite an impressive driver.
    I think socalbean has one of those motor's, or may know who does, hes a large motor guy. Thanks for the interest and compliments, Fingers crossed I can pull this off.

Bought From: Funky Waves, Realbeach, Farmacist Louisiana_CRX, Lingerfelt, ciaonzo, SPY (X2), tristanmay, bigbassjoel, Sound_Around, tristanmay

Sold To: alfabit1, Sound_Around, jonalford2087, woodels420, pangullo, chico305, ciaonzo, darkkon, faessle, UNDERGROUND_BUM, JCJR, adrian1185, fast306stang, tristanmay, biggen_bd, mwerling1212, ntfish, nate56

Flastrongman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I like the look of the sub and the performance for dollar value seems outstanding. The only flaw I see are the leads, that would stop me dead in my tracks from buying.

Refs: diyma-sold to:Mazda3SQ CA.com-traded:matrxx dude CACO- Sold to: Ajax_6154, brandonb1029, TeejayBee traded with: papito FLSPL- Bought from:98chevySPL, JBLCAMRY, traded with:97montecarlo, thumpenranger

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

response plots

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Copy paste from earlier

Idea on that is to raise BL, Sens, and Transience as well as give it a dip in response to counter the spike created by Le so it plays flatter and more naturally with little to no eq. (something few places take into consideration) You can count on 1dB of spike near 2x Fs per 1mH of le, this sub has an le of 3.7, so in optimum enclosure it has 3.04dB of loss near the le spike freq's. Should be able to stay within .5dB of flat (except on nodes) from 30 to 70(maybe higher) Given it wont feel or sound like it thanks to its large Vas once port volume becomes charged and should allow some pull in the bottom octaves as well to ease the burden on the system to achieve tactility below 40Hz and give it an audibly flat response. At least thats my goal and I have had killer results with this theory with my current single low Q 8" setup.

Isd beta doesnt plot le spikes for anyone still worried over the dip lol.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flastrongman View Post
    I like the look of the sub and the performance for dollar value seems outstanding. The only flaw I see are the leads, that would stop me dead in my tracks from buying.
    I've never liked stitched leads, the stiching slowly cuts the spider and causes the spiders compliance to not be linear across the surface. Im all about linearity and anything glued or stitched to a spider changes its behavior. It does look better, but in the end, its not as reliable (given the driver isnt pushed to the point of lead damage, which would be beyond its useful stroke anyway.)

The shift in compliance in the spider is not from the stitching as it contextually read above, the added mass/resistance to it causes its non-linearity across its surface. Glued leads cause the same non-linearities.

Standard leads are more cost effective and these are long enough to allow the woofer to bottom from abuse before any lead damage occurs. The huge stitched spiders being used on drivers today is more of an aesthetic thing than a functional thing when all is built correctly. Mach5 Audio, Re Audio, True Bass Solutions, Infinity, etc have all had successful, long lasting lines with leads just like these.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Before you start doubting leads, think of the 05 re xxx, a woofer few have complaints about, that is still sought after 7 years after its discontinuance, that used the same lead set up as this woofer, but was capable of 10mm more one way xmax.

Flastrongman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Good point sir, I'm only basing my bias on personal experience. I don't doubt the design of this sub one bit, unstitched leads just scare me from bad experiences with them.

Refs: diyma-sold to:Mazda3SQ CA.com-traded:matrxx dude CACO- Sold to: Ajax_6154, brandonb1029, TeejayBee traded with: papito FLSPL- Bought from:98chevySPL, JBLCAMRY, traded with:97montecarlo, thumpenranger

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Good point sir, I'm only basing my bias on personal experience. I don't doubt the design of this sub one bit, unstitched leads just scare me from bad experiences with them.
    I feel ya, ive never broke one but I burnt one in two once (over the past 19 years at it), but I took that in consideration as I see alot of people breaking them from over excursion. Shouldn't have that problem here, especially if not abused or beat on below tuning. Spiders are quieter when they aren't altered, and in sq, a quiet spider is important

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Imma take a forum break for a spell, ill be on my phone if im needed for sms lol.

Trippymane is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audio_phill View Post
    I feel ya, ive never broke one but I burnt one in two once (over the past 19 years at it), but I took that in consideration as I see alot of people breaking them from over excursion. Shouldn't have that problem here, especially if not abused or beat on below tuning. Spiders are quieter when they aren't altered, and in sq, a quiet spider is important

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Imma take a forum break for a spell, ill be on my phone if im needed for sms lol.

Were the leads u burnt up on the mtx8000's? Those are the only sub I've ever had a problem with the leads....

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trippymane View Post
    Were the leads u burnt up on the mtx8000's? Those are the only sub I've ever had a problem with the leads....
    no, lol. on an old school radioshack woofer.

Jaguar is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

@audio_phill I apologize for taking so long to get this up today, been busy. Highly recommend you click image to see full size. I took this photo with my
    iPhone, didn't have time to scan it. Detail lost. If you don't like it let me know what to change. I drew the "o'' in Audio as the symbol for ohm Ω.

Right click view image to download full size (2048 x 860)

James 1:2-5 2 Count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience
    have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing
    . 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all
    liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him

Anthony Collova is offline Supporting Vendor Anthony Collova is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Anthony Collova is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
    Well, I thot it was done, lol.

Guess that the illustrious ANT is working his magic again, lmao.

This was my first post over there, ever, on any IP, and shortly afterwards here is what popped up:

You have been banned for the following reason:
    ae of banned member

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

No need to blame me for everything that happens on other sites.
    The mods run the place. I just cash the checks...

ANT

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener

Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I like.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast