Reload Thread: Mono-block amplifers fact and fiction

cal
    cal is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Re: Mono-block amplifers fact and fiction

Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon551 View Post
    Class D are more efficient at lower ohm loads than Class AB, but at high ohm loads that isnt true. Also Class D amps sound just as good as Class AB if you buy a quality Class D amp.
    well, ive been doing some research and have not seen many of these amps you speak of with less than .1 thd and before the class d most amps were .05 or less . again its just a simple comparison and not saying newer amps are not as good. for example my audiosystem amp is considered a higher quality amp and its @1. thd so go figure .

winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cal View Post
    well, ive been doing some research and have not seen many of these amps you speak of with less than .1 thd and before the class d most amps were .05 or less . again its just a simple comparison and not saying newer amps are not as good. for example my audiosystem amp is considered a higher quality amp and its @1. thd so go figure .
    and this is why u buy an amp with head room

an amp that puts out 100w at .1%thd isnt really bad spec wise if u are using 50w which could possibly be the .005%thd you are talking about if you remember in the past alot of amp were seriously underrated and since they were rated for 50w at .005% but actually push and were used at 500w what do you think happened to the amps thd when it was driven harder? it when up of course

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The advancement of technology in the power supply switching devices is just beginning to allow the best Class D's to approach so so Class A/b THD levels at higher frequencies. There again it depends on how the manufacturer presents the rating. Example: .08% at 1watt/4ohms or <1% at rated 4ohm power ...I interpret that little <1% as meaning they had rather not discuss that aspect of their design.

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by winkychevelle View Post
    and this is why u buy an amp with head room

an amp that puts out 100w at .1%thd isnt really bad spec wise if u are using 50w which could possibly be the .005%thd you are talking about if you remember in the past alot of amp were seriously underrated and since they were rated for 50w at .005% but actually push and were used at 500w what do you think happened to the amps thd when it was driven harder? it when up of course

nope i dissagre do you remeber when fosgate and a few others had birth sheets? if they did not meet the thd they did not pass . i have a few old birth sheets that show true power not underated and meet thd ratings . im not going to argue this as it does not help op and this is the 3rd time i say it newer amps are not bad just not the same thd as older class ab is all .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

nope i dissagre do you remeber when fosgate and a few others had birth sheets? if they did not meet the thd they did not pass . i have a few old birth sheets that show true power not underated and meet thd ratings . im not going to argue this as it does not help op and this is the 3rd time i say it newer amps are not bad just not the same thd as older class ab is all .
    What do you think of the Class G/H ?

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

and yet the birthsheets where measured at 4ohm on a perfect 14.4 electrical and with a resistor load. i agree the old amps were built like tanks but look at the money paid for them back then and now factor in inflation and look in that price range.

personally i wont run a high current amp in my car from the 90s but to be fair the fosgate powered 12 i just put in my car has a 300w high current amp built in its running at .5 bridged straight from fosgate

2012 Nissan Versa Hatch

cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
    What do you think of the Class G/H ?
    to be honest ive been doing more research on my mono amp so i dont know what that is . also when i look to buy something i do alot of research. dont get me wrong im no engineer, i just goggle before i buy and do alot of reading . back in the day when class ab was the only thing around and most decent amps pretty much carried the same price tag what seperated them was the the thd and rms ratings .

rebelfromva is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

and yet the birthsheets where measured at 4ohm on a perfect 14.4 electrical and with a resistor load. i agree the old amps were built like tanks but look at the money paid for them back then and now factor in inflation and look in that price range.

personally i wont run a high current amp in my car from the 90s but to be fair the fosgate powered 12 i just put in my car has a 300w high current amp built in its running at .5 bridged straight from fosgate
    what amp is this?

09 Cobalt LT
    Headunit -Alpine CDA-9887
    Front Stage - PHD FB 6.1 PRO SIX M/B, FB 5.1 m/b, FB 1.1b tweets
    Highs amp -Pheonix Gold Xenon 100.4 & 200.4
    Sub stage - 2 DC M2 LVL 5 12s
    Sub amp - 2 DC 5.0Ks
    Electrical - Singer 270 alt, big 3 0/1 & 12g ofc audio technix, 2 XS d3400s
    Deadener - 80 mill Audiotechnix deadener
    "Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice"
    TEAM DC AUDIO

cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

i agree 100 percent as every amp in my car is korean built . as for the price tag u cant compair american made with korean labor. also caraudio in the 90,s was more about low power, these days its all about big power and low cost .

TheUnderFighter is online now Beer Addict

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Not sure what your "friend in the business" was talking about. But a mono amp, is an amp with 1 channel. Most tend to be Class D. And most modern ones tend to be 1 ohm stable. It's all stated in the specs.
    Was there something you had a question about specifically?

2009 Hyundai Elantra - Budget Sound in Progress
    HU- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X994
    Fronts- Crescendo MP6 mids, Vifa Ring Radiator tweets on Arc KS300.4
    Subs- Single SA-10 on Mmats 2000.1 @ 1ohm
    Misc- 1/0 CCA from AT, Big 3 in Stinger HPM, and AT 60 mil deadener
    Bought from: Inferno333, select127, treesive, Kangaroux, DonH
    Sold to: coolest user, Psychodrama, MidgetClown, mr.tigger, av83

11. Thanks Jaguar thanked for this post
    av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon551 View Post
    Class D are more efficient at lower ohm loads than Class AB, but at high ohm loads that isnt true. Also Class D amps sound just as good as Class AB if you buy a quality Class D amp.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCtC View Post
    The good full range class Ds are good. JL HDs, ZED, Alpine PDX, Hertz to name a few. I feel something is missing but most audiophiles love them
    I have a Kenwood Excelon XR-4S (it's a 120X4 class d) that I let sit around for months without ever hooking up (other than to test when i bought it off craigslist). Figured it would sound like crap on the highs. I finally hooked it up.... and was blown away. Sounded as clean as my Eclipse, and has 3x's the power. And it's tiny, to boot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rebelfromva View Post
    what amp is this?
    its the amp built into the p300-12 and p300-10 loaded enclosures i popped the sub out to set the gain and was surprised to see a .5ohm voice coil and a two channel amp bridged still is pretty efficient though 30amps of fusing and im only using 10guage knu speaker wire for power and ground run straight to the batt for no bad ground problems

2012 Nissan Versa Hatch

rebelfromva is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

its the amp built into the p300-12 and p300-10 loaded enclosures i popped the sub out to set the gain and was surprised to see a .5ohm voice coil and a two channel amp bridged still is pretty efficient though 30amps of fusing and im only using 10guage knu speaker wire for power and ground run straight to the batt for no bad ground problems
    hmmmm. I'd like to see pics of this

09 Cobalt LT
    Headunit -Alpine CDA-9887
    Front Stage - PHD FB 6.1 PRO SIX M/B, FB 5.1 m/b, FB 1.1b tweets
    Highs amp -Pheonix Gold Xenon 100.4 & 200.4
    Sub stage - 2 DC M2 LVL 5 12s
    Sub amp - 2 DC 5.0Ks
    Electrical - Singer 270 alt, big 3 0/1 & 12g ofc audio technix, 2 XS d3400s
    Deadener - 80 mill Audiotechnix deadener
    "Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice"
    TEAM DC AUDIO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rebelfromva View Post
    hmmmm. I'd like to see pics of this
    if i happen to take it back out soon which hopefully the car will be getting a headunits shortly and i will need to reset the amp anyway ill take a pic of it. its literally just two pcb boards with transformers and such on it no heat sinks. i suspect the amp would blow before the sub.

the loaded enclosure isnt really loud but its ok for my daily driving im planning on a ia flatlyne in a custom ported box and an ia 5.1 and 3.4 with the ia comps but the 3.4 is still in the works so this is just to hold me till then

2012 Nissan Versa Hatch

srb
    srb is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why are all the op's posts in bold?

Closed Thread