Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Should I trade my kicker zx650.4 for xtant 4004 amp

Renzone3 is offline ATLien

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Should I trade my kicker zx650.4 for xtant 4004 amp

Ok I want a cleaner sound for my components and 6x9s.My boss at my job has a xtant a4004 amp and I heard they were pretty high end stuff back in the day.I want to trade him my the 4 channel I'm running right now(kicker zx650.4) because I honestly can't stand it gets hot to easily and goes into protection and,I'm honestly not impressed by it.Now before I get trolled on ,my ground,power wire,and amp settings are up to par(set my gains with a dmm).Anyhow he wants to trade me and vice versa so does anybody have experience with these amps?If so how did you like them?And will I get cleaner power to my components than my kicker amp?Thanks in advance guys.

goingdef is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Re: Should I trade my kicker zx650.4 for xtant 4004 amp

I don't have any exp with either amp but if ones not working for you I don't see where it would hurt to try something else, looks like you need a different amp anyways go ahead and try it.

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

first, did you test all your speakers with a meter? figure out what is causing the kicker to thermal. depending on the year, it may have a fan, which may not be kicking on, or the amp could be doing it's job and protecting itself. the xtant is going to be a nice sounding amp, but pull the cover and look at the board. don't worry, it is normal to pull the cover to make adjustments, but it is typical in some xtants to have some corrosion present, as well. also, repair literature is near impossible to come by for xtant, so if you damage it, it needs to go to someone with first-hand experience on them.

*IF I have forgotten to exchange feedback, please let me know*
    i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

That's very surprising actually. I've heard quite a bit that the ZX line doesn't stand up to the old KX or SX lines, but a 4 channel from kicker getting hot a bunch. Sounds like voltage or breathing space to me. My SX900.4 is a freaking monster. All of my old KX1200.1s were monsters and never had any issues. I even ran them so low voltage that the ground fused itself to the connector. Hell, my KX300.4 is a refurb bought in 2004 and has never given me trouble since. 8 years after refurb. Never had any personal experience with the ZX line. I know they are rated for more, but seem to put out less than their ancestors.

Stupid Loud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitt View Post
    That's very surprising actually. I've heard quite a bit that the ZX line doesn't stand up to the old KX or SX lines, but a 4 channel from kicker getting hot a bunch. Sounds like voltage or breathing space to me. My SX900.4 is a freaking monster. All of my old KX1200.1s were monsters and never had any issues. I even ran them so low voltage that the ground fused itself to the connector. Never had any personal experience with the ZX line. I know they are rated for more, but seem to put out less than their ancestors.
    low voltage won't cause metal to fuse/melt, but a loose connection will!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That's very surprising actually. I've heard quite a bit that the ZX line doesn't stand up to the old KX or SX lines, but a 4 channel from kicker getting hot a bunch. Sounds like voltage or breathing space to me. My SX900.4 is a freaking monster. All of my old KX1200.1s were monsters and never had any issues. I even ran them so low voltage that the ground fused itself to the connector. Hell, my KX300.4 is a refurb bought in 2004 and has never given me trouble since. 8 years after refurb. Never had any personal experience with the ZX line. I know they are rated for more, but seem to put out less than their ancestors.
    It has plenty of breathing room even when I'm playing my subs my voltage doesnt drop below 13.5.Idk it has been a really hot summer so far it's been dam near if not 100* here lately.Anyways I'm down for trying something new maybe the kicker isn't for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goingdef View Post
    low voltage won't cause metal to fuse/melt, but a loose connection will!
    It wasn't lose...it was me draining the batts multiple times before I had an alt. I was running into like 9v. Back when I knew nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzone3 View Post
    It has plenty of breathing room even when I'm playing my subs my voltage doesnt drop below 13.5.Idk it has been a really hot summer so far it's been dam near if not 100* here lately.Anyways I'm down for trying something new maybe the kicker isn't for me.
    Being 100 already in the car *****, and it does that here too. I've been hearing that last statement more and more. They've even ran me off. Support has gone down the drain. Build quality out the window, and they've dropped the only things that made them worthwhile (KX amps, Warhorse, Solo X). Walmart was a nail in the coffin for being a decent "street" brand. Dropping the X was the nail for me. I'll keep my Warhorse and my KX and SX amps because they are all wonderful. I won't buy another item from them in the foreseeable future. I'd love to snatch up a bunch of Solo Xs but the Spairs are already hard to come by mere weeks after announcing they're EoL.

Stupid Loud.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akheathen View Post
    first, did you test all your speakers with a meter? figure out what is causing the kicker to thermal. depending on the year, it may have a fan, which may not be kicking on, or the amp could be doing it's job and protecting itself. the xtant is going to be a nice sounding amp, but pull the cover and look at the board. don't worry, it is normal to pull the cover to make adjustments, but it is typical in some xtants to have some corrosion present, as well. also, repair literature is near impossible to come by for xtant, so if you damage it, it needs to go to someone with first-hand experience on them.
    It's a 2010 model.I'll take it apart later and take a look at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

It wasn't lose...it was me draining the batts multiple times before I had an alt. I was running into like 9v. Back when I knew nothing.
    I guess it could happen I've never had my voltage go that low.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Being 100 already in the car *****, and it does that here too. I've been hearing that last statement more and more. They've even ran me off. Support has gone down the drain. Build quality out the window, and they've dropped the only things that made them worthwhile (KX amps, Warhorse, Solo X). Walmart was a nail in the coffin for being a decent "street" brand. Dropping the X was the nail for me. I'll keep my Warhorse and my KX and SX amps because they are all wonderful. I won't buy another item from them in the foreseeable future. I'd love to snatch up a bunch of Solo Xs but the Spairs are already hard to come by mere weeks after announcing they're EoL.
    I feel ya on that one.My t1500bdcp doesn't even run hot in this 100* weather I been getting here lately and make that bish work hard.lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goingdef View Post
    I guess it could happen I've never had my voltage go that low.
    I'd get protection shut off, and just turn the deck down a couple of notches. It'd do it again a few min. later so I'd turn it down a bit more. I'd do this until I was getting shut off at like 50% volume. I'd charge my truck every night and do this on a regular basis. Honestly, I don't know how the only thing I ever killed were batteries. I really should have lost amps, subs and alternators.

Stupid Loud.

Closed Thread