Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Reload Thread: Subwoofer Amp UPGRADE Advice really needed.

Jaguar is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Icon32 Subwoofer Amp UPGRADE Advice really needed.

Hi guys. Well, although I'm new and a novice at the particulars of car audio I can't help but feel a certain brotherhood among car audio enthusiasts. I'm just starting to study ohms, db (the intricacies of car audio) etc, Im nowhere near an expert, but what i'd like to do is continue to attain the next level of car audio. I know even the next level of dynamics in my car audio system will still be nowhere near as great as more established enthusiasts, but I don't think there is anywhere else I could get such great advice.

Although I'm only looking to upgrade my subwoofers and Amp, these are the specs of my system as they stand currently

Current setup
    Sony XPlod CDX-GT700HD
    4 X Diamond D3 6.5 Speakers (one for each door) + Built in Tweeter back car door lock area.
    Big 3 Upgrade 0 Gauge Included (KnuKonceptz Wire)

Subwoofers in a sealed box = 2x Kicker 12 Comp C12 8 Ohms (07C128)

Amp = Kenwood Kac-7204 1000w (RMS X2 at 4 Ohms)

There really is nothing wrong with the system, but I wish to achieve a higher level of quality bass. Not just more boom but a depth in the quality of bass as well. I'm looking to spend around 500 for new subs + box, and 150-200 for the amp.

I was looking at the following.
    Kicker Solo Baric L5-L7's (2 of them) Peak Power Handling: 1500 Watt / Nominal Power: 750 Watt RMS (square subs). About 220.00 a piece if i look in the right place.

The thing about getting any of the following is I already have an enclosure for 12" circular speakers, where as if i were to consider getting L5-L7 I would also have to get a new box. I'm not against this. Quality first.

Kicker CVR series Peak Power Handling: 800 Watt / Nominal Power:400 Watt RMS (the one's with the white/grey kicker background). About 130.00 a piece.

and 2 12" Kicker 10CVR122 Peak Power Handling: 800 Watt / Nominal Power:400 Watt RMS (the one with the totally black background). About 70.00-80.00 a piece.

As for the amp, I have no idea. Would the one I have right now suffice, until I get a new one? I'm open to suggestions for Subwoofers ($500-550) and Amps (150-200) in this price range. I want to do this right. Thanks. And by the way, the car is nothing special a 1999 Jetta tricked out.

07denali is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Re: Subwoofer Amp UPGRADE Advice really needed.

I think you should expand your options beyond kicker. Kicker is ok but there's better out there especially for what they cost. You can find some pretty nice subs in the $200 range. Maybe even a W3, Type R, or sundown SA. AQ has nice subs and aren't too pricey or maybe you can pick up a used set of really nice subs for that amount. Point I'm getting at is to look into other brands other than kicker. If you're not in a hurry, do a lot of reading and check out your local car audio shop or check out a contest and listen with your own ears different brands and go from there. Hope that helps.

Ionakron is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah definitely expand past Kicker's unless that's exactly what you want. You can get a nice set of Sundowns for that price, some Skar VVX's, or maybe some Sound Solutions GCON's. Not positive but i think Skar has their 2 VVX 12's + a custom box for $429.99 deal still around.

Vehicle: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
    HU: Kenwood KDC-X996
    Front stage: CDT HD-52
    FS amp: US acoustics USX-2080
    Subs: x2 Sundown SA-12's
    Sub amp: DC Audio 2.0K

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Hi guys. Well, although I'm new and a novice at the particulars of car audio I can't help but feel a certain brotherhood among car audio enthusiasts. I'm just starting to study ohms, db (the intricacies of car audio) etc, Im nowhere near an expert, but what i'd like to do is continue to attain the next level of car audio. I know even the next level of dynamics in my car audio system will still be nowhere near as great as more established enthusiasts, but I don't think there is anywhere else I could get such great advice.

Although I'm only looking to upgrade my subwoofers and Amp, these are the specs of my system as they stand currently

Current setup
    Sony XPlod CDX-GT700HD
    4 X Diamond D3 6.5 Speakers (one for each door) + Built in Tweeter back car door lock area.
    Big 3 Upgrade 0 Gauge Included (KnuKonceptz Wire)

Subwoofers in a sealed box = 2x Kicker 12 Comp C12 8 Ohms (07C128)

Amp = Kenwood Kac-7204 1000w (RMS X2 at 4 Ohms)

There really is nothing wrong with the system, but I wish to achieve a higher level of quality bass. Not just more boom but a depth in the quality of bass as well. I'm looking to spend around 500 for new subs + box, and 150-200 for the amp.

I was looking at the following.
    Kicker Solo Baric L5-L7's (2 of them) Peak Power Handling: 1500 Watt / Nominal Power: 750 Watt RMS (square subs). About 220.00 a piece if i look in the right place.

The thing about getting any of the following is I already have an enclosure for 12" circular speakers, where as if i were to consider getting L5-L7 I would also have to get a new box. I'm not against this. Quality first.

Kicker CVR series Peak Power Handling: 800 Watt / Nominal Power:400 Watt RMS (the one's with the white/grey kicker background). About 130.00 a piece.

and 2 12" Kicker 10CVR122 Peak Power Handling: 800 Watt / Nominal Power:400 Watt RMS (the one with the totally black background). About 70.00-80.00 a piece.

As for the amp, I have no idea. Would the one I have right now suffice, until I get a new one? I'm open to suggestions for Subwoofers ($500-550) and Amps (150-200) in this price range. I want to do this right. Thanks. And by the way, the car is nothing special a 1999 Jetta tricked out.
    where to start...Ok, my first question is, have you tried locating your tweeters in the front doors?..I am just curious of the rear door placement strategy. If you are looking for better bass quality, why are you researching more of the same?....Are you really open to what is available to you for the $$, whether you are familiar with the "Brand" or not? There are many small companies that decided to offer what works for alot less than what the "Big Names" could ever hope for. And it is these smaller companies the fuels most of the fire in the folks you will meet here that compete and provide the input for these smaller companies to keep their products a cut above the "Big Boys" If you want new, I would suggest equalizing your budget a bit, say $400 for subs and enclosure and $350 for a decent amp.

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

BrownVanMan is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Get the ssa Dcons a pair of them in a good ported box is what ya need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

first off, how much room are you willing to give up?...there are ppl here successfully competing and winning using one sub and amp set-up well within your budget.

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Thanks guys. Well of course I am open to other brands besides Kicker if the subwoofers are better. I think durabilitiy is also an issue though. I'm taking all your suggestions (JL Audio W3, Fi Q etc) and doing a lot more research so far.

There is no doubt I could get better subs for less of a price. Let's say I wanted to pay around $200.00 a sub, well with SQ and Durability, Deeper Quality Bass being what I want the most, what would the suggestions of experienced members here?

The reason I like Kickers, is because they kick hard, but again they really are my only experience with subwoofers. If possible I would like to get a deeper kick and have the SQ as well as the deeper quality bass as well as durability. What I don't want is something that hits hard sounds better, but breaks down faster. Definitely want my subs to last. Thanks!!

RangerDangerV2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

tc epics, ssa dcon, gcon, or icon, dayton ho, used jlw6...

1999 Tahoe
    2 sa12s
    4th order
    145.18 @33z... with less than 500 watts!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
    first off, how much room are you willing to give up?...there are ppl here successfully competing and winning using one sub and amp set-up well within your budget.
    Well, I have a double 12" enclosure in my trunk now. Im looking for two new 12" that fall into the parameters of my previous post.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Thanks, any more suggestions are welcome. Check out reply #7.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

1st -1- WoofersEtc.com - DEH-P7400HD - Pioneer CD/MP3/WMA Car Stereo Receiver w/ HD Radio, iPod Control/pandora/USB Input
    2nd - 1-Obsidian 15D4 Obsidian Car Audio
    3rd - 1-AQ 1200D AQ1200D Amplifier
    ..the above totals $576.00 and I gaaruuntee, if you can do a big 3 and build the right box for that 15 on the $174.00 left over, you will not be disappointed.
    I would suggest moving the tweets up front and using the Kenwood on the mids and highs, adjusting the gains, or whatever it takes for it to work.
    Last edited by quackhead; 06-09-2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: D4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I suppose I should retract that suggestion on the Obsidian 15, since I have personally not tried one yet, and it would be "outside the perameters" you set in post #7 , but thy have been praised so far. The Kicker subs you mentioned earlier can be bought in 3 of the 5 pawn shops in my town, sitting right next to AudioPipe, Fusion and Boss...'don't know if that is a good thing or not. It makes me shy to try them for myself, but I see plenty using them.
    As for durability, I have been using Powerbass XL series subs for 5+ years daily. You might find a pair of 12 2XL's for less than 200 ea if you have a local dealer. My wife beats the crap out of her 15's everyday on a Hifonics 1200 watt brutus @1 ohm..and she's been doing it for 6 yrs. I use the AQ 2200 @ 1 ohm and it has been wonderful for the last 5 yrs on a pair of 3XL 15's. I have noticed PB changed the perameters on the newer XL lines, so what I just said may be null and void on a new pair, but the construction appears the same. The Pioneer HU I mentioned may lack in one area over another, but the variability in x-over section and parametric eq makes it a winner for my system, + the power outs will make a set of tweets sound pretty dang good.
    I have one of these Dayton Audio TIT320C-4 12" Titanic Mk III Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-404
    and have heard these Dayton Audio RSS315HO-44 12" Reference HO DVC Subwoofer 295-467 neither disappoint.
    Last edited by quackhead; 06-10-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice guys. I believe after careful consideration, the way my system is currently set up I am leaning towards SPL subwoofers. If I upgrade my amp, is there a particular type of amp I should look for as opposed to SQ subwoofers? Could I have some amp suggestions if say my new subs are 400rms/800peak. Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. I believe after careful consideration, the way my system is currently set up I am leaning towards SPL subwoofers. If I upgrade my amp, is there a particular type of amp I should look for as opposed to SQ subwoofers? Could I have some amp suggestions if say my new subs are 400rms/800peak. Thanks,
    @ what ohm? and how much?

DDtC is offline Go cheap you get cheap

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

First thing. Don't ever look at the peak, it don't mean anything. Second thing. The box you have is more then likely a prefab? Your going to need a real box if you want to reach the next level no matter what equipment you choose. Third thing. Move those tweeters, you want your sound stage in front of you. It's ok for subs cause those frequancies are omni directional.

• 2010 Scion tC
    • Alpine CDA-117
    • JL 450/4v2 Active (Mid range, tweeters) JL 300/2v2 (Mid bass) DC 5K(Subs)
    • Hertz HV 165XL
    • Hertz HT28
    • JL ZR800
    • 2 x DD 9512i
    • Singer 300 amp 15.1v bypass, 3 XS D3400s
    • DD M4a and XS D3100 coming soon
    • Viper 5701 with Smart Start

16. Likes jolly_26, quackhead liked this post
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast