Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Is this deck any good?

YES, it its better than just any good! I don't know why people bash the 9.3" Power Acoustik PD-931NB. I have one, that I bought on Amazon, along with the 4 year warranty. I installed it in my BMW 740i and it works great. The touch screen is just like an iPad, and the DVD/MP3/CD player plays better than the BMW original unit.

Out of the box the speaker level outs, are 17W RMS X 4, so for just the head unit power, it sounds good.
    There was no alternator noise with the speaker level outputs... but...

Here's my only problem, that I am asking for your help on, from anyone out there that has had this problem: I hooked up an Alpine amp via the RCA Preamp outs... and I have high pitched alternator noise. When I mute the head unit, or disconnect the RCAs, it stops. So its coming from the head unit, not the Amp. I have tried grounding the head unit to the same point as the Amp, and an Exterminator inline noise suppressor. PLEASE...can anybody help me get rid of the Alternator Whine ???

2. Dislikes _dontaskwhy, NoLoud4U disliked this post

J31Rob is offline CarTune Netwerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Dee View Post
    YES, it its better than just any good! I don't know why people bash the 9.3" Power Acoustik PD-931NB. I have one, that I bought on Amazon, along with the 4 year warranty. I installed it in my BMW 740i and it works great. The touch screen is just like an iPad, and the DVD/MP3/CD player plays better than the BMW original unit.

Out of the box the speaker level outs, are 17W RMS X 4, so for just the head unit power, it sounds good.
    There was no alternator noise with the speaker level outputs... but...

Here's my only problem, that I am asking for your help on, from anyone out there that has had this problem: I hooked up an Alpine amp via the RCA Preamp outs... and I have high pitched alternator noise. When I mute the head unit, or disconnect the RCAs, it stops. So its coming from the head unit, not the Amp. I have tried grounding the head unit to the same point as the Amp, and an Exterminator inline noise suppressor. PLEASE...can anybody help me get rid of the Alternator Whine ???
    No, it's really not. You ruined a 740i by putting one of these in it. There is a reason it's <$300. Power Acoustik is something you stay away from.

..and to answer your question, are your RCAs run along the same side of car as the power cable? Are the RCAs shielded? Is the ground on the headunit connected to the factory harness or grounded to the frame/battery? If the answer is yes to any of the above then there is your issue. Run RCAs away from power wire or get quality shielded cables. Ground headunit to chassis or directly to battery ground for GOOD quality ground.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SourDeez View Post
    That deck is top of the line. Best of the best actually, pioneer uses their technology and uses cheaper materials.
    Poor troll is poor. Go die.

the FUNK / facebook.com/The.Funk.765
    CarTune Netwerk / facebook.com/cartune.netwerk0

Alpine / Sundown Audio / Sound Solutions Audio
    Audio Technix / CT Sounds / Execution Audio

Vern Dee is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Rob,

First, thanks for the help and suggestions, and the answer is no to all of those questions. I orders high quality shielded RCA cables, I ran separate 8 gauge ground and powers wires on the opposite side of the car from the RCAs, so that the head unit and the Amp are both grounded to the same chassis point in the trunk near the battery.
    As far as ruining my 740i...I didn't just randomly take out the $3,000 BMW factory system for the fun of it, it went bad, and had to be replaced. I actually sold the original system parts (even the bad ones), on eBay, for more that the new head unit and amp cost. Again, except for the alternator whine, I love the 931NB. I've seen lots of other threads that mention alternator whine problems with all of the major, more expensive brands. So except for this alternator noise, the unit works and sounds incredible, and I have a 4 years replacement warranty that was only about $45.

Please tell me if there are special noise suppressors or any other solutions for the alternator whine. Thank you, Vern

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5157 Post(s)

Try grounding an RCA. If that doesn't work then bad unit

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 03 Mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thanks for the help!

SourDeez is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1857 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J31Rob View Post
    Poor troll is poor. Go die.
    Obviously it was a joke you low life piece of shit penis lover. Your ghetto car sucks u loser, get on my level.

Headunit - Stock cassette player - Pioneer P9400
    Front Stage - Pyle 8 inch subs (1000 watt peak!!) - Polk DB6.5 (about to be CDT 6.5s)
    Rear stage - Deleted (stolen) - Deleted
    Sub stage - custom built 15 inch sony xplod (5k watt peak!!!) (huge box) - Two SA12's built by Corey
    Sub amp - Pyle 8000w peak!! (spl edition) - AQ2200
    Electircal - 35 amp alt from ford festiva upgrade, stolen battery, 28 gauge solder coil for my cable - Dual D34 Yellows, 1/0 trystar OFC, 135amp alt

8. Likes _dontaskwhy liked this post
    neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1693 Post(s)

I'm waiting on my AVH-P8400BH to come in today. Got it Open Box on Crudfield for about 100 off regular price. Plan is to install it tomorrow but I'll give some initial impressions to you when I do. AFAIK, it's the most feature-packed if you intend to integrate an iPhone to it and it's a 7-inch screen. Otherwise the 3400 should be a great choice. PM me if you want more details because I don't intend to flood this thread with my ramblings.

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1693 Post(s)

Install is done...what a PITA. I made a couple rookie mistakes like connecting both remote wires (one from the radio harness and one from the harness adaptor) to each other and not understanding what pulling the battery lead on a VW Passat can do to some of your indications (had both the Steering Lock and Stability Control warnings locked in...until I drove it forward five feet). Initial impressions are extremely positive. If you're looking at the 3400 you shouldn't be disappointed at all. Yes, it's a smaller screen between the 3400 and 8400, but the difference should be negligible.

In short, Pioneer yes, PA BAD.

J31Rob is offline CarTune Netwerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SourDeez View Post
    Obviously it was a joke you low life piece of shit penis lover. Your ghetto car sucks u loser, get on my level.

You are super mad dude.

the FUNK / facebook.com/The.Funk.765
    CarTune Netwerk / facebook.com/cartune.netwerk0

Alpine / Sundown Audio / Sound Solutions Audio
    Audio Technix / CT Sounds / Execution Audio

SourDeez is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1857 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J31Rob View Post

You are super mad dude.
    At least I don't drive a rust bucket like you

Headunit - Stock cassette player - Pioneer P9400
    Front Stage - Pyle 8 inch subs (1000 watt peak!!) - Polk DB6.5 (about to be CDT 6.5s)
    Rear stage - Deleted (stolen) - Deleted
    Sub stage - custom built 15 inch sony xplod (5k watt peak!!!) (huge box) - Two SA12's built by Corey
    Sub amp - Pyle 8000w peak!! (spl edition) - AQ2200
    Electircal - 35 amp alt from ford festiva upgrade, stolen battery, 28 gauge solder coil for my cable - Dual D34 Yellows, 1/0 trystar OFC, 135amp alt

Jace12 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I'd say no

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Anyone that bashes the 9.3" Power Acoustik PD-931NB hasn't owned one. I installed it in my 2000 BMW 740i and it works great. The E38 740, will only accept single DIN without major duct surgery, and this unit is single DIN, that flips down. The touch screen works similar to an iPad, and the DVD/MP3/CD player plays better than the BMW original unit. I added the 4 yr warranty for about $55. The only thing that I wish it had was Song/Artist ID, but I get that on my iPhone. Don't let the non- "Big Name Brand" scare your...This unit is incredible, especially for the cost!

sjblasko is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Vern,
    Do you have any pictures of this system in your 740i? I also have a 740i that I am looking to get a 1-DIN for. I would love to see this one in an e38.
    My contact is sjblasko at hotmail dot com. If you have some pics of this in your car, please e-mail them to me. Much thanks.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2