Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need Advice on dual 12" audiobahns + box

smokesnugs is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need Advice on dual 12" audiobahns + box

Okay so, I have

AUDIOBAHN DUAL 4-OHM NATURAL SOUND SERIES 12" 400W RMS CAR STEREO SUB WOOFER | eBay

I currently have them in a sealed box, They sound very good..

My question is.. I have this Rockford Fosgate Ported Enclosure and want to find out if they will perform even better with the correct setup utilizing this enclosure instead of the sealed one.

Rockford Fosgate PL2-212 Punch Stage 2 dual 12" ported enclosed subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

I have read up on the subwoofers I have and it says that they can be in a sealed or vented enclosure.. Do you guys think this is a proper enclosure for the subs I have?? I don't want to destroy the subs and really don't know how to go about getting maximum performance out of these subs + the rockford enclosure if I decide to try it out...

Please, ANY and ALL tips are GREATLY appreciated , I am in dire need of expertise!!!

Thank you SO MUCH guys!!

DoesDad is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Re: Need Advice on dual 12" audiobahns + box

They will no doubt sound better and louder in the Rockford box. However, you should really save up a little change and get a box built. Those prefab boxes really ****. They're always tuned too high imo and usually too small.....

des343 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

audiobahns sound good in small sealed boxes usually...or large ported boxes...

the rockford will def be louder but cant say if it will sound better...

its always worth the shot! just play with it and if you dont like it get a box built! almost always the best way to go anyways

maybe even sell the rockford box and sealed box both and pay for a custom

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good idea.. The Rockford box is MUCH larger than the sealed box I have.. The sealed box I have almost looks like the subs are to big for the box it's self.. but I Won't lie, They ******* pound in that little box.. Screw it, Ima give it a try and see what comes of it.. They don't sound good i'll throw em back in the sealed box and keep trying to sell the rockford enclosure like I've been trying to do the last few days.. DADDY NEEDS 32gb FLASH DRIVE!!

Haha... Thanks a lot guys for your advice.. I'll let you know what I come up with.. if it's much better results than anticipated i'll be sure to make a quick video of the results!

Much Respect!

P.S

If it helps determine at all, I play strictly rap.. it's always been my preference, either that or some type of techno / bass tracks.. Long story short, I stick to the pound.

des343 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

well if you got a box made you could tailor it to your style...but typially most prefabed boxes are tuned to around 50 hz as a general rude which almost tailors to rock imo...that rockford enclosure i could b wrong but seems like its probably tuned a little lower maybe in the mid to high 30's?

but yeah typcially bahns do very well in tiny sealed boxes usually around .5 cubes of the 12's. you could also try to stuff some polyfill in the box (the stuff used to stuff pillows) this will make it appear larger to the speakers and make it sound better and get more output..

i used to have 3 12 inch alum x they were 1000 rms each and i had them each in .5 cubes with about a pound of poly per chamber things slamed in it

kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

It will be very peaky and not musical. Crutchfield lists internal volume of 2.7 cu/ft, if thats correct thats 1.35 per side which is not optimal for the AB's.

It costs less than $50 to make a box yourself. Theres really no reason not to do it, especially when you can get the wood cut for you and all you have to do glue it together and make the cutout for the sub.

13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T

http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok.... End Results..

The box made my 12's sound incredibly better all around... It hit harder, I hit the low's I could never achieve with my sealed box.. I was kind of sketched out thinking it would blow and I might end up wasting a couple hours arranging everything perfectly (OCD as ****)

I was completely astonished, MY sealed box absolutely could not hit lows.. They would kind of "flap" and produce almost zero bass.. With the ported box lows had everything in my car shaking majorly, and it was that quality low bass everyone strives to achieve..

Long story short, It was all but amazing, and I was loving the new setup.. finally felt like I had hit resonance overall and got to that perfect peak of quality performance...

HOWEVER... I'm guessing because of the box being ported it caused the speakers to expand outwards much more... In my sealed box I had them BANGING, But the quality wasn't there..

The ported box POUNDED way harder, but with an extremely high quality.. Anyways, Long story short.. I was pullin up to a garage in town for knew tires, heard a pop and crackle followed by the infamous crackling and.. well, classic blown speaker noise..

Damit I told my buddy, We both heard it at the same time, looked at each other and immediately said "Blown"... Bah, It failed the touch test as well (Moving the speaker in and out) it rubs bad now..

Oh wellz, Disappointed for sure.. gonna miss that bang with rich lows but i'm a glass is half full kind of guy.. Looked at my boy with a big grin "Wellll, Got a reason to buy some brand new quality subs"

Time to start researching and figure out what kind of subs I want, and the perfect box when I get them.. I plan on building the box my own..

Any recommendations for a 2000 Honda Civic 4-Door Sedan??

I got the rich mid's n' high's But I want that RICH bass that I will feel in the front of the vehicle.. Be able to hit those lows without any problems.. And to be honest, I like people being able to hear me coming.. I plan on chasing down EVERY single rattle that exists on my car once I Get this system, So outsiders can hear the rich lows and bass from a considerable distance..

Thanks a lot in advance guys!!

lionfamlee is offline Premium Member lionfamlee is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ahhh the lovely smell of a blown sub. That always *****. Your blown sub is probably more due to it being clipped by the amp...which means your amps gains were prob set to high. Did you use bass boost to make it louder and how did you set your gains? This is the most cause for blown speakers.

What's your budget? I would look into some subs that will due 1000 RMS - 2000 Peak and an amp that will push a true 1000 watts RMS. Build a slot ported box with pretty of breathing room for that sub. If this is your first build I would work with someone that has experience building enclosures and tune it to your car as well. If your Civic has the small back seat located in the middle, build your port to feed right into the car. I can give you more specific recommendations once I know your budget.

I am from the Old School Audio era. I collect vintage car audio; I have roughly about 40 plus amps, 20 plus subs, dozens of sets of mids, highs and components, 14 eqs/processors, and numerous other old school equipment. I have several old school jewels amongst my collection. I have also collected some nice Japanese and German made audio while I lived in Japan and Germany. I do bring the new school as well with my six Memphis Mojo's, two AudioQue 3500.1D, RF Power 30001BD, Sundownsubs, etc...

Closed Thread