Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Start-up system opinion. New to this and need Help!!!!

richard5795 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Start-up system opinion. New to this and need Help!!!!

I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand AM GT. Plan on installing MB Quart 6 1/2 inch front speakers with Massive Audio NX4- 4 channel amp bridged to two channel running at four ohms with 400x2, 3 Sundown Audio 8inch sub-woofers, unsure about which mono amp to use yet. Any suggestions about anything? Please post your opinion on any component. Kinda new to this and need help.

Mr.meyhem is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Start-up system opinion. New to this and need Help!!!!

well thats a pretty big electrical load. what awg wiring u gonna run? how many amp alt u got? and r you planning to do the big 3?

Obsidian 15 D2 3.5 cubes 31hrtz
    Apsm 1300
    Alpine Type R 6.5 comps
    Cadence 250.2
    KnuKonceptz Kollossus Flex 4 awg
    AP LOC
    Distro Block
    2/0 Big 3
    ELD bypass in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

and my buddy is running 2 sa 8s on a saz 1500. a saz 2500 would prbly be a little over kill, but they are nice amps. look into hifonic brutus amps. ( plus what is ur budget for the whole build?) are you going for sq or spl?

Apsm 1300
    Alpine Type R 6.5 comps
    Cadence 250.2
    AP LOC
    Distro Block
    2/0 Big 3
    ELD bypass in progress

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

not sure about the awg. Prolly lookin for more spl. and what is the big 3? Im very new to this, sorry. My dad knows a lot but he said i need to do my own research. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

lol we're all still learning lol. big 3 is upgrading ur electrical from bat to alt to chassis/ engine block. helps dining and voltage drop. if ur running that many watts id suggest 0/1 awg. I'm running 4 awg for 1500w. and thats barely cutting it but it varies from build to build.

Apsm 1300
    Alpine Type R 6.5 comps
    Cadence 250.2
    AP LOC
    Distro Block
    2/0 Big 3
    ELD bypass in progress

lionfamlee is offline Premium Member lionfamlee is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^^^Agreed! Make sure you don/t skimp on your 0/1 wire. Not all of them are true 0/1 gauge. Some of it looks good until you notice all of you see how much wire is actually being used...some companies use a very thick skin with very thin wire. So instead of getting 0/1 wire it is actually 0/2 or worse.

I am from the Old School Audio era. I collect vintage car audio; I have roughly about 40 plus amps, 20 plus subs, dozens of sets of mids, highs and components, 14 eqs/processors, and numerous other old school equipment. I have several old school jewels amongst my collection. I have also collected some nice Japanese and German made audio while I lived in Japan and Germany. I do bring the new school as well with my six Memphis Mojo's, two AudioQue 3500.1D, RF Power 30001BD, Sundownsubs, etc...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok. Thanks. Now we've decided that we arent gonna bridge the amp to the highs. And We r gonna do the big three. So What kinda amp for the subs would you recommend?

daboyfrumdabx is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lionfamlee View Post
    ^^^Agreed! Make sure you don/t skimp on your 0/1 wire. Not all of them are true 0/1 gauge. Some of it looks good until you notice all of you see how much wire is actually being used...some companies use a very thick skin with very thin wire. So instead of getting 0/1 wire it is actually 0/2 or worse.
    I know what you meant to say, but nothing in bold actually represented what you were saying. Learn a bit more about notation or stick with "2awg" form.
    Quote Originally Posted by richard5795 View Post
    Ok. Thanks. Now we've decided that we arent gonna bridge the amp to the highs. And We r gonna do the big three. So What kinda amp for the subs would you recommend?
    Do you already have the SA8s? If so, what voice coil configuration do they have? Let me know if you have trouble finding ground locations or anything for the Big3, I can get pics as I have the same car.

*Sundown Z15 *SAX-1200D *CDT HD-61A *SAX-100.4 *Pioneer DEH-80PRS *KnuKonceptz *XS Power D3400 *270A Mechman

Sold to: blackbonnie, TheOneJordan, resko1, kr15, Zichardruniga, IBmikexxx, plugitin
    Bought from: Gruszka530, theMessenjah44, ltr450racer690, Dpc69ss, 97maxima(Here and ROE), Pillow(CACO), pro-rabbit, woofercooker, Twisted_0912

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

figure out how many amp alt u got. daboyfrumdabx could prbly tell us too. but u don't wanna get too big of an am unless you are looking to get a new alt. (would be a waste of money) and a lot of ppl will say u can just add a battery but that doesn't work until you have an alt that can actually charge ur first batt.

Apsm 1300
    Alpine Type R 6.5 comps
    Cadence 250.2
    AP LOC
    Distro Block
    2/0 Big 3
    ELD bypass in progress

daboyfrumdabx is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stock alt is rated at 105A. From what I've found, that's not at idle (not sure exactly what RPM), but either way it's low. HO alt is def in my future. The stock alt has handle give or take 1800watts with a 2nd batt. Seems to do fine even at full tilt while in motion, but at idle, I'll dip into the 11's very quickly.

*Sundown Z15 *SAX-1200D *CDT HD-61A *SAX-100.4 *Pioneer DEH-80PRS *KnuKonceptz *XS Power D3400 *270A Mechman

Sold to: blackbonnie, TheOneJordan, resko1, kr15, Zichardruniga, IBmikexxx, plugitin
    Bought from: Gruszka530, theMessenjah44, ltr450racer690, Dpc69ss, 97maxima(Here and ROE), Pillow(CACO), pro-rabbit, woofercooker, Twisted_0912

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

yeah i got an 80a alt lmao, tell me bout it. (again) check out the brutus amps from hifonics.

Apsm 1300
    Alpine Type R 6.5 comps
    Cadence 250.2
    AP LOC
    Distro Block
    2/0 Big 3
    ELD bypass in progress

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I really appreciate the help and i will try to find out more. If i have more specific questions i will personal message both of you.

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    490 Post(s)

the brutus amps are not very efficient and will be hard on the electrical.look at a saz2000 or dc 2.0 amp,or maybe even an ia 20.1 or ab 100.1,all these amps will give more CLEAN power and be easier on the electrical.

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

lionfamlee is offline Premium Member lionfamlee is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daboyfrumdabx View Post
    I know what you meant to say, but nothing in bold actually represented what you were saying. Learn a bit more about notation or stick with "2awg" form.

Do you already have the SA8s? If so, what voice coil configuration do they have? Let me know if you have trouble finding ground locations or anything for the Big3, I can get pics as I have the same car.

I understand notation. I was tired and late when I replied, but I got my point across. Don't skip on your power and ground cables.

I am from the Old School Audio era. I collect vintage car audio; I have roughly about 40 plus amps, 20 plus subs, dozens of sets of mids, highs and components, 14 eqs/processors, and numerous other old school equipment. I have several old school jewels amongst my collection. I have also collected some nice Japanese and German made audio while I lived in Japan and Germany. I do bring the new school as well with my six Memphis Mojo's, two AudioQue 3500.1D, RF Power 30001BD, Sundownsubs, etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by richard5795 View Post
    I really appreciate the help and i will try to find out more. If i have more specific questions i will personal message both of you.
    Check out the effeciency of the amps. What configuration do you want to run on your subs (1 ohm, 2 ohm, etc)? Remember that running a lower impedance will mean an increase the strain (amperage draw) on your system. This is not a bad thing if you have an upgraded electrical system that can maintain it. Having a effecient amp won't be as hard on your electrical either. I have seen quite a few people buy new subs and amps and run their stock alternator into the ground quickly or burn out their amps, becuase their electrical system couldn't keep up with the amperage draw of their system. Voltage drop can be an amp killer...I found this out the hard way with my first large system in 1993. I burnt up one of my Rockford Fosgate Power 1000's that way...LOL I wasn't a noob then, but never dealt with amps that drew that much power.

What's your budget? I would check out the Big "3" upgrade tutorial, gain setting tutorial, etc on this board. There some good info in them.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast