Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Chevy Tahoe Install Questions

latemodelsedan is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chevy Tahoe Install Questions

I know this is gonna be a helluva introductory first post but I really need to get some advice hopefully from some professionals and other enthusiasts. Iím gonna try to provide all the necessary info in my initial post so bear with me if itís long winded or if I leave anything out. To start, Iím doing a very, very modest upgrade and have no desire to shake the pavement. Those days are over for me. So, Iíll start with my vehicle particulars and then current equipment.

Vehicle:
    2010 Chevy Tahoe LT
    w/BOSE
    w/OnStar
    w/o Navigation

Current Equipment:
    Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD
    Rockford Fosgate Punch 500-4
    Boston Acoustics S60 Components Ė 2 pairs
    Axxess GMOS-LAN-02
    Avital 5300 2-Way Security

Okay, so here we go. Iíve already removed the OEM head unit and all the Bose components except for the ďsubĒ located underneath my center console. I have replaced all of the full range drivers with my Bostons and installed the Punch amplifier to drive them. My installer left the Bose sub fully functional at my request to determine if I would be satisfied with the sound before deciding to keep moving ahead. I guess this was silly because although I knew it was gonna sound bad, it actually sounds a lot worse than I expected. So, here are my questions/concerns:

1. My installer told me that after removing all the Bose components he had to install a small speaker behind the center console in order for me to hear my door chimes, OnStar, turn signals, etc. I thought that was the purpose of the Axxess GMOS-LAN-02. Isnít that module supposed to allow everything to continue to be heard thru my stereo speakers or would the disconnection of the Bose amp from those speakers necessitate the installation of a new external speaker?
    2. Should I be hearing a small amount of ďnoiseĒ when I pause music/dvds etc. or should there be dead silence? When I say noise itís not alternator whine or anything like that, itís more of a very small amount of feedback I guess as a result of amplification. Just not sure if or how much of it I should be hearing.
    3. When they installed the Avital 5300 they connected the tach wire from the alarm to a solenoid in the engine compartment and it TOTALLY drove my computer haywire. The car went bananas. The Stabilitrack and check engine lights went absolutely bananas. After much troubleshooting they finally determined that wire was the cause and eliminated it all together stating I didnít need it. Can anyone advise on this? The alarm functions perfectly without the wire and the vehicle now runs as it did before.. perfect.
    4. I need help choosing an inexpensive but quality pre-fab subwoofer enclosure. Iíve already decided to stay with Rockford for the sub amp. Iím leaning towards a Punch 300-1. As I said, I donít wanna shake the pavement or draw a lot of attention to myself. Iíd like to get a simple sealed enclosure with two 10ís. I found a few places online selling the discontinued JL Audio CS210-WX enclosure very cheap and Iím certain I donít need much more than that but I am open to suggestions within my budget.

I think I covered everything. I know itís a lot but I figured it was best to get it all out at once. Thanks in advance and i look forward to participating in the forums.

Tek18 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Chevy Tahoe Install Questions

im not professional or anything.. but i recommend doing everything yourself.. much better results and you get to learn what you have rather than get someone to do it!

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

first thing i would do is get a detailed list of what was done, and what was charged for...... with all the databuss in there, and still partially installed (has to be to run the factory sub without installing an amp for that sub) i would not really suggest picking that, or a honda as your first go-around. the fact that they installed a relay and failed really shows that they may not know what they are doing at all....

*IF I have forgotten to exchange feedback, please let me know*
    i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akheathen View Post
    first thing i would do is get a detailed list of what was done, and what was charged for...... with all the databuss in there, and still partially installed (has to be to run the factory sub without installing an amp for that sub) i would not really suggest picking that, or a honda as your first go-around. the fact that they installed a relay and failed really shows that they may not know what they are doing at all....
    agreed ,does sound like they dont know whats going on here.the chime usually does come thru one of the speakers in the system,so just need to figure out which one ,most of the time id easy tho.never heard of an alarm making the ecu going crazy ,so they had to of had it hooked up to the wrong place [which is my bet] or did something wrong in the wiring.also if done right,shouldn't have any noises of any kind when turned down.and last but not least look at obcon and q logic if you want a prefab box

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

kramer_212 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

+1

brandinooooo is offline Woot Woot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Waaaay too much to read, but my daily is a newer Tahoe, so you can PM me with any question and I can probably help.

The door chime is like a small speaker in the dash or console depending on the year. My Onstar speaker is located on the side of the FRONT rear a/c control/click lights between that and the driver visor.

HU - Kenwood KDC-HD545u
    Front Stage - Stock
    Amp -
    Rear Stage - Stock
    Amp -
    Sub - HDC318 6cuft tuned to 35
    Amp - Audiopipe 1500d

MY BUILD LOG - http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/526429-02-tahoe-aq-build.html

kramer_212 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brandinooooo View Post
    Waaaay too much to read, but my daily is a newer Tahoe, so you can PM me with any question and I can probably help.

The door chime is like a small speaker in the dash or console depending on the year. My Onstar speaker is located on the side of the FRONT rear a/c control/click lights between that and the driver visor.
    also, if you look in the manual, or youtube there is a light/ seatbelt combo to turn it off. 99% sure i have done it in multiple veicals.

brandinooooo is offline Woot Woot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kramer_212 View Post
    also, if you look in the manual, or youtube there is a light/ seatbelt combo to turn it off. 99% sure i have done it in multiple veicals.
    Really? I'll have to check that out

HU - Kenwood KDC-HD545u
    Front Stage - Stock
    Amp -
    Rear Stage - Stock
    Amp -
    Sub - HDC318 6cuft tuned to 35
    Amp - Audiopipe 1500d

MY BUILD LOG - http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/526429-02-tahoe-aq-build.html

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brandinooooo View Post

yah....that's exactly where my onstar microphone is located..... about the size of a quarter, iirc.... the sound is played through the speakers. i did not take the liberty of looking up your models, so i'm not sure, but it does sound like the head is either capable of playing the features through the speakers via the lan unit, or that the lan unit is the interface module for any aftermarket head, which has it's own speaker...... i kept my factory head installed, because i like the nice quality sound of the chime and onstar, rather than a cheezy speaker hidden in the dash..... reminds me that it's still an american vehicle, not a chinabox from the 90's. both where they hooked the tach wire, and likely using a shield wire as the ground is what would show how they are not familiar with databus wiring. honestly, they could've tapped into a coil wire and set the ppm to match the firing of that cylinder, unless the ppm programming can support a crank/cam position counting, etc, but really i would concentrate on getting the info on what was all done and check things out before deciding what to do....

*IF I have forgotten to exchange feedback, please let me know*
    i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

latemodelsedan is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this is actually a reputable shop thats been in business for about 20 years here and to be quite honest i've totally lost faith in them. the installer seemed to have one answer for most of my questions .. "i don't know". but once they've done the work it's kind of difficult to get detailed info.

i will say this, the alarm works fine. aside from that hiccup with the tach wire there are no issues. re: onstar and my chimes, i definitely want to keep my onstar and prior to changing out my speakers yes, the gmos lan DID play the chimes thru my left front speakers. the installer stated that removing the bose drivers and cutting the leads from the bose amp to those drivers made adding the external speaker necessary. the other thing i have to admit is that i actually spoke to several shops before getting the install done and it seemed like none of them had concrete answers for issues re: swapping my bose crap out and retaining my onstar. seemed to be a gray area for all of them to a degree. very frustrating.

Closed Thread