User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Reload Thread: SPL with a single 8" Sub... More sound with less.

SPLluminator is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SPL with a single 8" Sub... More sound with less.

Like I said, 900 is a guestimate. Without gain change on the amp from 4 ohm to 1 ohm my volume on the HU is at 27 on 4 ohm and my volume at 1 ohm is at 22 when I start hearing mechanical noise, however excursion isnt very much maybe .75" total and the coil does not warm up. Also, it seems to make the noise worse at a higher tone in the 55-60hz range and doesnt seem to as bad at the lower end. Ive tried 3 different boxes to see if it was something I was doing wrong and in all the sub has acted fairly similar.

My termlab should be here friday so ill be metering both the cvl 8" on 450watts and the 8" sonance on however many watts I can throw at it untill I hear any sort of mechanical noise. Guarantee the CVL shits on it. Itll be a same box test as well .6 @ 47hz.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equipment for sale-220A alt, Eminence Delta 10" speakers, BNIB MB Quart Q4.80, (2) IA 20.1's (Newest Version), SI BM Motor w/ Basket, (2) Deka Intimidator G31 Batts, 2 RD Sonance 15's with baskets (need recone).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Refs: Scott S, hornedfrog1985, dsmdan, Newageking, DBboom, R/T Pimp, SQcrewcab, Bumpin Buick, tangelo95, fearof85,
    coma_toast, Blackga, spy, LouisianaCRX, Oxsign, etc...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dble
    Last edited by SPLluminator; 01-04-2012 at 09:36 PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equipment for sale-220A alt, Eminence Delta 10" speakers, BNIB MB Quart Q4.80, (2) IA 20.1's (Newest Version), SI BM Motor w/ Basket, (2) Deka Intimidator G31 Batts, 2 RD Sonance 15's with baskets (need recone).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Refs: Scott S, hornedfrog1985, dsmdan, Newageking, DBboom, R/T Pimp, SQcrewcab, Bumpin Buick, tangelo95, fearof85,

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Played with it more today. Havent found a single issue with my setup, its gotta be the sub.
    Last edited by SPLluminator; 01-04-2012 at 09:37 PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummin me out. Im gonna instal the cvl 8 in the box and see how that sounds. Havent installed it in this small of a box yet. But in both other boxes the cvl was MUCH louder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, cvl was just installed and its a lot louder. You can even tell by ear that theres a considerable difference. Termlab is gonna be here on friday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

SPLaudio is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you play a 20.1 @ 1ohm on a 8" sub in a big box and expect not to damage it?

there was no noise or "coil rubbing" when i benched it or when you first played it.

i charged you $90 shipped for this sub with basket and even threw in a adapter plate i machined for this sub for free. i made noting building this sub.

a high end 8" with alot of thro cost alot more than that due to basket machining,spacers and such.

ur sub is VERY simular to thegreatestpenn on here he dropped a rf 2500.1 @ 2ohm and posted vids and #s. same basket,coil,cone,spiders very simular motor too

if it was a issue with my build quality i would cover it no question...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPLaudio View Post
    you play a 20.1 @ 1ohm on a 8" sub in a big box and expect not to damage it?Not at full volume, not even close I put it in 1 cubic ft to see how it sounded in a daily app before I had the smallest box built, the first box I tried was .82 before sub displacement which is not extremely big either

there was no noise or "coil rubbing" when i benched it or when you first played it. when I first played it? Its made the sound since day 1, you even said your self you didnt give it full rms in your test

i charged you $90 shipped for this sub with basket and even threw in a adapter plate i machined for this sub for free. i made noting building this sub. I offered to give you more for the adapting plate, I wouldnt expect you to build the sub for free, if this is even the case

a high end 8" with alot of thro cost alot more than that due to basket machining,spacers and such. HELLLO This is what I was looking for then, I told you I was trying to bassrace a 139.9 with an 8", Clearly it needs to be as overbuilt as possible I asked you multiple times what my options were and you failed to explain any of these options prior to building the sub

ur sub is VERY simular to thegreatestpenn on here he dropped a rf 2500.1 @ 2ohm and posted vids and #s. same basket,coil,cone,spiders very simular motor too Ok, so clearly it is a problem with build quality if his is fine at that amount of power and this hasnt seen near 1200rms

if it was a issue with my build quality i would cover it no question...
    I also dont appreciate it when I ask you about the mechanical sound and you instantly tell me I damaged the spider. Makes me wonder if you damaged it in your testing. Ive heard good things about you hence why I had you build this sub. However im not pleased with the subs performance or how you handled business. Now im stuck with a sub thats useless and no money to buy another. Puts me way back in testing. O and BTW, the 20.1 is running off a single red top, so the most power I would see from it is probably not even 1200 rms after rise/voltage drop however I dont have a clamp meter to know for sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im not here to argue but ur tring to bash me. ask anyone i am here to help people out not to make coin.

the 20.1 can easily make over 2krms its a good amp.

what i told you is there is mechy limits running a 12 spoke basket and you would reach those before thermal. you said you wanted a 8 that would handle 800rms that sub would no problem in the rite box.

if ur getting voltage bad drops with ur amp enough to reduce the output ur clipping it.

600rms freeair is harder on a sub that 800rms in a box. i didnt even reach full mechy travel the sub had.

dont know why ur tring to put this on me? you cant calculate power with guessing voltage drop and turning ur vol knob.

what do you want me to do?

Kangaroux is offline I put on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corey is legit he's not out to mess with people...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ exactly.

he had the sub mounted mag out and you will hear some mechy noise of the cone hitting the spider on higher excursion and the air noise from that motor design.

problems i see is voltage drop, to big a box and dont know anything about the port. you can be knocking out a 40 legal with that sub and a smaller amp in a trunk, have done it before ...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im not here to argue but ur tring to bash me. ask anyone i am here to help people out not to make coin.

the 20.1 can easily make over 2krms its a good amp.

what i told you is there is mechy limits running a 12 spoke basket and you would reach those before thermal. you said you wanted a 8 that would handle 800rms that sub would no problem in the rite box.

if ur getting voltage bad drops with ur amp enough to reduce the output ur clipping it.

600rms freeair is harder on a sub that 800rms in a box. i didnt even reach full mechy travel the sub had.

dont know why ur tring to put this on me? you cant calculate power with guessing voltage drop and turning ur vol knob.

what do you want me to do?
    dont put words in my mouth because that'll really **** me off. I told you the sub was going to be run on a 20.1, at 1 ohm, and it was going to be used for 139.9 bassrace assuming I could get it to that point. Not once did you tell me the mechanical limit was going to be 800rms otherwise I wouldnt have had the sub built. You did say the coil would take 1000rms. I was fine with that and said go ahead build the sub. Apparently the sub I had in mind and the sub you had in mind were two completely different subs. I asked you if there are any options to make the sub handle more power like flatwind coils or aluminum coils etc. and you would respond with a one sentence pm that had to do with something else I had asked in the pm. Im just dissapointed in the useless sub im now stuck with and the money you effectively got out of me because now neither of us are happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroux View Post
    Corey is legit he's not out to mess with people...
    He didnt mess with me, Just didnt explain what I was getting and im dissapointed in the product I received as it didnt meet the expectations that were given to him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone asked me to build an 8" sub that they planned to run 2KW at and bass-race 139.9 I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. That's asking for trouble.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    If someone asked me to build an 8" sub that they planned to run 2KW at and bass-race 139.9 I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. That's asking for trouble.
    Look man, your not contributing. It is certainly possible as im really close with a Cadence CVL on 450 watts lol. An it never saw full power nor was it going too. Just because you have 2k available doesnt mean you HAVE to use it all. I was looking for a sub with a higher power handling and with 1000watts rms I think this sub would have done it. However it didnt handle what it was said to handle therefore im unhappy. Not to mention im getting words crammed down my mouth which is getting no one anywhere fast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ exactly.

he had the sub mounted mag out and you will hear some mechy noise of the cone hitting the spider on higher excursion and the air noise from that motor design.

problems i see is voltage drop, to big a box and dont know anything about the port. you can be knocking out a 40 legal with that sub and a smaller amp in a trunk, have done it before ...
    There is no major voltage drop, im not giving the sub near full power. The box is .6, how small does it have to be to limit the subs excursion to take 1000rms like you stated? .3 cubic ft lol? Im sure I could have done a 145 with this sub had it been built the way it was supposed to be built. But instead a CVL getting a lot less power is louder than the sub you built me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPLluminator View Post
    Just because you have 2k available doesnt mean you HAVE to use it all.
    You don't HAVE to, but I promise you wil

Can't comment on build quality without seeing the sub. It should be easy to figure out if the coil is misaligned or a glue joint is separating.

I'm just saying SPL is potentially putting himself in a position for it to come in question.... Really the first thing I thought when I saw the thread title was (I hope OP knows how to recone).

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast