Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Fuses, wire gauge, etc for multiple amp installs.

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Fuses, wire gauge, etc for multiple amp installs.

I will be installing two amplifiers:

1. MB Quart REF4.80 rated for 4x80watts into 4 ohms and 4x160watts into 2ohms. Fuse rating: 2x35amps. This amplifier will power a set of 4ohm tweeters and mids (Hybrid Imagine) running active.

2. MB Quart ONX1.1500D rated for 1500watts RMS power @1ohm, 1000watts RMS @2ohms, 500watts RMS @4ohms. Fuse rating: 2x70amps. This amplifier will power Infinity Kappa 120.9w subwoofer configured for 4ohm load (sub rating: 350watts RMS). Down the road there could a subwoofer upgrade.. though somewhat unlikely.

Alternator rating: 130amps
    Big 3: TBD

As you can see, both amplifiers will be used way below their maximum capacity. I was going to buy a 5-channel Alpine or something but then I picked up both of MB Quarts because I like their compact size, and total price was less than a less powerful 5-channel.. so why not.

I have questions about fuse rating at the battery, distribution block, wire gauge, etc.

1. I know the usual rules of fusing at the battery, but given that I will be using both amplifiers way below their maximum power output potential and that car's amplifier will not provide more than 130amps of current, is it really necessary to have a 210amp fuse at the battery? What would you recommend?

2. Right now I am running a 20ft long 4awg power wire from the battery to my trunk. Is this wire safe to use in my situation or should I upgrade to lower gauge?

3. Is it necessary to fuse the power wires between the distribution block and the amplifier? Is it ok to run 4awg wire from distribution block to the amplifiers?

4. What wire gauge I should use to run from the ONX1 amplifier to my subwoofer?

5. For the big three, what wire gauge do you recommend?

sacsking916 is offline stayin high an loud

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Fuses, wire gauge, etc for multiple amp installs.

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    I will be installing two amplifiers:

1. MB Quart REF4.80 rated for 4x80watts into 4 ohms and 4x160watts into 2ohms. Fuse rating: 2x35amps. This amplifier will power a set of 4ohm tweeters and mids (Hybrid Imagine) running active.

2. MB Quart ONX1.1500D rated for 1500watts RMS power @1ohm, 1000watts RMS @2ohms, 500watts RMS @4ohms. Fuse rating: 2x70amps. This amplifier will power Infinity Kappa 120.9w subwoofer configured for 4ohm load (sub rating: 350watts RMS). Down the road there could a subwoofer upgrade.. though somewhat unlikely.

Alternator rating: 130amps
    Big 3: TBD

As you can see, both amplifiers will be used way below their maximum capacity. I was going to buy a 5-channel Alpine or something but then I picked up both of MB Quarts because I like their compact size, and total price was less than a less powerful 5-channel.. so why not.

I have questions about fuse rating at the battery, distribution block, wire gauge, etc.

1. I know the usual rules of fusing at the battery, but given that I will be using both amplifiers way below their maximum power output potential and that car's amplifier will not provide more than 130amps of current, is it really necessary to have a 210amp fuse at the battery? What would you recommend?
    always fuse for the wire. thats a given
    2. Right now I am running a 20ft long 4awg power wire from the battery to my trunk. Is this wire safe to use in my situation or should I upgrade to lower gauge?
    i would upgrade it to 1/0 since your pulling that much current from the front to back
    3. Is it necessary to fuse the power wires between the distribution block and the amplifier? Is it ok to run 4awg wire from distribution block to the amplifiers?
    in short, YES
    4. What wire gauge I should use to run from the ONX1 amplifier to my subwoofer?
    12g speaker wire will suffice just fine
    5. For the big three, what wire gauge do you recommend?
    1/0 is the best bet
    answers in red sir

TEAM AUDIO TECHNIX
    TEAM SSC
    TEAM CADENCE
    Sold to: imtjnotu; ace_800; omegabunny crazykenkid Bought from: El_weenie; fasfocus00; retroaudioinc; f1mclarenagr; jason19; tone415; twizted859; noph33rracing; tony30cl; carlosg_313 Traded with: Micah_Jones; MikeOfTulsa
    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Apparently I was called out, or called a goat fucker, or something. I really have no idea. Im just along for the ride at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXBMPN View Post
    King James has nothing on King Sac!

Closed Thread