Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Building a new setup..need your input.

ajm
    ajm is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Building a new setup..need your input.

I am looking for some suggestions/info/input from you guys as to what would be a good purchase for me based on the info below.

Im working with limited space (1.6 cubes sealed) for a couple reasons. 1. I want a clean install not something that looks similar to "homie down the road" finding a box in the dumpster and throwing it in the back of his caddy. 2. I could build a fiberglass box to get more cubes, and have a clean install as well but I do bodywork for a living so I have no desire to spend my free time doing something similar to what I do all day at work.

Due to the low cubes I was thinking a single 10 or 12 but im a bit split on which sub to go with. Im looking for something that sounds fair, but at the same time can still make some noise if I want it too. Ive considered the polk SR, eclipse titanium, l7, or orion hcca. Any other suggestions? I dont really have a limit as to how much I can spend but at the same time dont need something thats 900 vs 500 if theyll do the same thing. Id like to power whatever I go with with kicker or mtx amp as ive had good luck with them in the past. Final option would just be a 12" solo x in a 4 cube ported box that would fit but id have to sacrifice the clean install part.

For the speakers, I have some kicker ss in another vehicle running on an mtx 7802 amp that im VERY pleased with (clean and keep up with 3 10" L7's) but really dont want to deal with the hassle of a crossover and such. Do you guys have any suggestions for some coax speakers? Ive been looking at the focals which are also priced really well (250-300 a pair I think?). Also what kind of amp would you guys suggest for the speakers, looking for something more sq oriented as I would like to try something different besides kicker & mtx for the amp.

Thanks.

Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Re: Building a new setup..need your input.

for coaxials look into Hybrid Audio Imagines
    or a little cheaper Boston Acoustics SR65

amp Boston Acoustics GT series works well for me.
    and I have a Kicker on my lows.

As for subs, DC lvl 3 or Sundown SA.....Boston Acoustics SPG subs are nice too

or you could look into the SSA line up. maybe the Icon....just all depends on how much space you decide to take up and how much power you're gonna run.

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

ever considered a pair of 8's.look at dc, sundown , incriminator, for woofers or subs .you can also look at ssa for subs ,these are just a couple off the top of my head ,but there is alot to look at .the brands you mentioned aren't what they used to be anymore .as for speakers determine what you want from them and make your decision accordingly ,again there are many to choose from .i like the cdt lines,but most of the guys here like the morels,hertz,focals, and rainbows . i can go on and on

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

ajm

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info. Im thinking of getting some higher end cdt's for up front, and some lower line ones for the rear. Still split on the sub. Jl still have a good reputation? Would have to go with a w6 as the mounting depth of the w7 would be too deep .

dumple is online now What's in your trunk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

See if you can talk the Guy that was selling a stereo integrity magnum v1 12d2 mines in a 1.2 sealed box and its awesome

Pioneer Appradio 3
    JBL ms8, JBL MS-A5001
    PHD Studio neo 6.5s, PHD fb 1.1b
    Cdt m6+
    TC Sounds Epic 10
    cream jean of sound 8======D~
    refs: Lil_KB, jesusbasscadill, Crzy, Wkbdkid, bigwheel15, groggy23, kenbei, Belunt (awesomebox), Nissan, shallowfu, jonnybusa, alxmlr789, pioneerpimp, peas247, ravens9322, sundownz, audiobahnuser18, [email]nbesaw2@new.rr, jared530, brenTgrillzem, Revrider1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ajm View Post
    Thanks for the info. Im thinking of getting some higher end cdt's for up front, and some lower line ones for the rear. Still split on the sub. Jl still have a good reputation? Would have to go with a w6 as the mounting depth of the w7 would be too deep .
    yupp JL is still good. Depends on what you pay though. I wouldnt pay more than 300 for a new w6. If you want a good SQ sub look at the Dayton Reference HO subs. I'm a huge JL fan but I'll put these up against any JL sub for SQ. The w6 will get louder tho

ajm

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You guys ever heard a solo x in a sealed box? I know thats somewhat of a bad mix as most people just buy them for noise so a big ported box is a given, but I noticed under the specs on kickers site the recommended sealed box sized for the 10 is 1cu-2cu, 12 is 1.5cu-3cu. Makes me tempted to just get one, but Id hate to spend nearly 1200 between an amp and sub to not get near the output I was expecting. Not so much as looking for loud, just deep and low if possible. The money isnt an issue, its more so of getting the most out of what I spend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

meh.....probably not your best choice. if you want nice output and deep lows. Just get a sundown SA and tune low. I had 3 sa-8s that got just as low as my Fi Q 18.

link to my proof: Sundown Sa-8 s flexxin the Scion tC - YouTube (that songs peaks around about 31,32hz)

edit: or a DC lvl 3
    Last edited by Why So Cereal?; 11-23-2011 at 11:21 PM.

Z1NONLY is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had good results with a 10w6v2 in a ported ~1.2 cube box, tuned to 30Hz. (With 500 watts RMS pushing it.)

I "modeled" a bunch of different subs and a DC level 3 was the only one that had more output than the W6v2. (just a db or two difference, and the JL extended a tad lower than the DC)

Z1NONLY is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dbl post.........

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

if you want cdt find the ones you want and let me know i can pretty much beat anyones price .and clear your pm's

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

mclerico83 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraud...iew.shopscript

fi q, get the high qts option so it will be designed for small sealed, 1500rms sound great and can get loud requires .8-1.5 sealed[COLOR="Silver"]

or the

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraud...iew.shopscript

ssd, 1000rms and even smaller sealed box .7-1.2 cuft and only 6.5 mounting depth and only 200 bucks, all american parts, amazing subs

ajm

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks again for all the help everyone. Pm's are cleared.

Thinking about getting some cl-650fg cdt components. Really would like to stay coax or type of component where the tweeter can mount in the middle of the mid but I found them for a great price ($150/pair, regular $300). Would these be worth getting for the front?

fish1234 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Man, you gotta get what you think sounds good. Everyone has differing ideas on products. The items suggested in previous post are all awesome products, but you in the end will have to decide. Whatever you get install properly and enjoy!

ajm

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im not exactly asking "what sounds good" as I know thats a very opinionated topic. Its the fact that I dont care to spend a few $1000 and end up with junk

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast