Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: New Uneducated Roommate...

The_Grimy_One is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Icon11 New Uneducated Roommate...

So I just got a new roommate and needless to say, he has been brainwashed by JL Audio as many have. Im not going to say his system is bad, as I have not heard it, and his equipment is nice, but he paid as much as I would pay to build an INCREDIBLE system.

So it consists of an Alpine media center, 2 12" JL W6, a JL 1000/1, a JL 300/4, and 2 sets of XR components...

I have not seen any of it, so I do not know what kind of box they are in or anything, but he said he got everything on discount and it still came to $3600!!!

That is just ridiculous. Though, he has 12s, I am sure my OZs will get almost as loud, especially if I was running ported. Im not going to hate on anyone's system, I just think its funny that he felt like he got what he paid for and really thinks that it is all that because it is JL.

Deck: Pioneer 80PRS
    Front Stage: Incriminator Audio I65C / Front Amp: Alpine MRV F540
    Sub: 12" Sundown ZV3 / Sub Amp: MMATS 2000.1
    Bought From: ge_off_me, Boomsday, Chemmins, impactas, Sleazebagger, NoPh33rRaCiNg, fasfocus00, 50cents, flastrongman, pborcich, ace_800, GAMEOVERCCA
    Sold To: Jamesmington, Juicee, Bunkrd you, Donnie Darko, ge_off_me, destined2race, todd131, Imjtnotu, mclerico83, aimology, Audiobahn, kpetree
    Traded With: ge_off_me, Imjtnotu

Tupolev is offline Mountaintop Stainer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: New Uneducated Roommate...

Oh wow, you have my condolences.

3. Thanks The_Grimy_One thanked for this post
    sacsking916 is offline stayin high an loud

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Lulz. Jl audioz

TEAM AUDIO TECHNIX
    TEAM SSC
    TEAM CADENCE
    Sold to: imtjnotu; ace_800; omegabunny crazykenkid Bought from: El_weenie; fasfocus00; retroaudioinc; f1mclarenagr; jason19; tone415; twizted859; noph33rracing; tony30cl; carlosg_313 Traded with: Micah_Jones; MikeOfTulsa
    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Apparently I was called out, or called a goat fucker, or something. I really have no idea. Im just along for the ride at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXBMPN View Post
    King James has nothing on King Sac!

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

JL does have some nice product and I'm sure his car looks and sounds good, but for $3600 he better have fiberglass and motorization or something.

Spaz v1 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have some land in Mexico I'd like to sell him.

Imtjnotu is offline Me Gusta Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)

lulz.....

kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Someone ought to do a blind listening test of JL vs another brand with halfway decent sq. The results would be funnay.

13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T

http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

galacticmonkey is offline Wants a button like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did he overpay for the type of product he got? Yeah. Did he overpay for the actual product he got? He paid JL shop prices. Probably no different than what 100 other people spent today in shops around the country buying the same pieces of equipment. It isnt like some shop charged him $600 for a Kicker CVR or something ridiculous. Thats the price of JL Audio equipment, and he didnt know any better.

At least he ended up in a shop and got JL equipment for that price. He could have ended up somewhere who gave him a Jensen cd player, 2 crappy Almani subs in a prefab box, and a few sets of Panasonic coaxs all on Kenwood amps for $2800. Ive seen it happen.

With a good install, I bet his system sounds great.

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by galacticmonkey View Post
    Did he overpay for the type of product he got? Yeah. Did he overpay for the actual product he got? He paid JL shop prices. Probably no different than what 100 other people spent today in shops around the country buying the same pieces of equipment. It isnt like some shop charged him $600 for a Kicker CVR or something ridiculous. Thats the price of JL Audio equipment, and he didnt know any better.

At least he ended up in a shop and got JL equipment for that price. He could have ended up somewhere who gave him a Jensen cd player, 2 crappy Almani subs in a prefab box, and a few sets of Panasonic coaxs all on Kenwood amps for $2800. Ive seen it happen.

With a good install, I bet his system sounds great.
    I agree, but even at JL store prices that is high unless he was gouged a bit for install rates. I'm sure it sounds great though.

OP- You should get some pics and listen to it and see what you think.

wenn_du_weinst is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

in correct box that system will sound amazing. would sound better with better comps.

I am protesting Skar by giving them added exposure in my signature.

Spaz v1 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kushy_dreams View Post
    Someone ought to do a blind listening test of JL vs another brand with halfway decent sq. The results would be funnay.
    JL Audio makes a very good product. Is it overpriced? Yes. But I don't blame them, it sells & I'd do the same.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Like I said, I am not hating whatsoever, I just know if I spent that kind of money on my system, it would be wild! But I will see if I can take a listen, and take some pics when I can. He sleeps during the day and works at night, the opposite of me, so hopefully on the weekend. Im sure it does sound very good. And JL subs are pretty nice, but I would love to rock some new Sundown Zs over any product JL makes, and they will be a ton cheaper

He said he may step up to 2 W7s, but then he will need another 1000/1, which we all know they are not very efficient.

What got me is that there is 2 13 W6 on here for 600, I am sure you can get a 1000/1 for 400 or so, the 300/4 for about 300, the components for 250 each, and the HU for like 400. Add that all up you are at around $2 grand, give or take, so that leaves another $1600 for install and wires. Haha. But of course those are used prices.

Bought From: ge_off_me, Boomsday, Chemmins, impactas, Sleazebagger, NoPh33rRaCiNg, fasfocus00, 50cents, flastrongman, pborcich, ace_800, GAMEOVERCCA
    Sold To: Jamesmington, Juicee, Bunkrd you, Donnie Darko, ge_off_me, destined2race, todd131, Imjtnotu, mclerico83, aimology, Audiobahn, kpetree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I get dealer cost on JL and even then it would cost me 2-3k if I went all jl subs and amps. I'm more then likely going to run tw5's next unless I can fit w6's

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wenn_du_weinst View Post
    I get dealer cost on JL and even then it would cost me 2-3k if I went all jl subs and amps. I'm more then likely going to run tw5's next unless I can fit w6's
    No way in hell would I do that... WITH dealer costs. Not too many people are fond of those shallow mounts, I hope you can fit something bigger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I love the shallows, they sound very close to the w6 but need to be tuned lower to get same low end response.
    I would be running w7's if it wasn't an under the back seat install. I may run w7's in my house if I can figure out an enclosure

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast