Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Sound deadening with...

caseyarndt is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sound deadening with...

So from what i have read sound deadening using something like asphalt based raammat is all about weight.
    My question what about using shingle starter strip. It is sticky on one side and can aboviously take a lot of heat. Its pretty heavy and its only $11 for a pretty large roll. Would that deaden my doors?
    I would probably only use it on the inside of the door for fear of it smelling really bad.
    Horrible idea? Or no?

kramer_212 is offline Music-Expression

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Re: Sound deadening with...

i did my hole car.....panels,trunk,roof, floor, doors, basically everything stunk for a while but it went away now.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

with shingle starter strips? did it work good?

whitedragon551 is online now Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

Absolutely horrible idea. Deadener works because the butyl layer expands from vibrations and converts vibrations into heat and its then transferred out through the aluminum layer. In an asphalt based deadener you dont get the expanding and conversion of vibrations to heat.

CA.com FAQ's
    CA.com TOS Agreement
    Forum Rules

HU: ///Alpine 9887, KCE-400BT, KCE-433IV, KTX-100EQ Imprint, 8Gb iPod Touch
    Front Mids: Eclipse SC6500
    Front Tweeters: Morel made Xtant 28MM Silks
    Subs: Audiomobile Evo 10" TC2+
    Enclosure: 1.1 Cubes sealed with 10 Ounces Poly Fill
    Amp: Audio Systems Twister F6 380 III

5. Thanks denim, dumple, Tupolev thanked for this post
    Tupolev is offline Mountaintop Stainer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh wow, learn something new every day. I just thought mass was the only key factor.

sacsking916 is offline stayin high an loud

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

deadener threads are funny now.

TEAM AUDIO TECHNIX
    TEAM SSC
    TEAM CADENCE
    Sold to: imtjnotu; ace_800; omegabunny crazykenkid Bought from: El_weenie; fasfocus00; retroaudioinc; f1mclarenagr; jason19; tone415; twizted859; noph33rracing; tony30cl; carlosg_313 Traded with: Micah_Jones; MikeOfTulsa
    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Apparently I was called out, or called a goat fucker, or something. I really have no idea. Im just along for the ride at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXBMPN View Post
    King James has nothing on King Sac!

8. Thanks funandgames thanked for this post
    whitedragon551 is online now Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sacsking916 View Post
    deadener threads are funny now.
    How so?

CA.com FAQ's
    CA.com TOS Agreement
    Forum Rules

HU: ///Alpine 9887, KCE-400BT, KCE-433IV, KTX-100EQ Imprint, 8Gb iPod Touch
    Front Mids: Eclipse SC6500
    Front Tweeters: Morel made Xtant 28MM Silks
    Subs: Audiomobile Evo 10" TC2+
    Enclosure: 1.1 Cubes sealed with 10 Ounces Poly Fill
    Amp: Audio Systems Twister F6 380 III

Dirtrider4eva is offline √\_The CaUsE__

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Your best bet would be using like second skin, or if your cheap, fatmat...

welcome to
    Where b-stock is the new a-stock
    TEAM WEST

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon551 View Post
    How so?
    so much misinformed people(not you of course). just in general. like how so many people believe peel & seal is the same as deadener, or the vs threads

TEAM AUDIO TECHNIX
    TEAM SSC
    TEAM CADENCE
    Sold to: imtjnotu; ace_800; omegabunny crazykenkid Bought from: El_weenie; fasfocus00; retroaudioinc; f1mclarenagr; jason19; tone415; twizted859; noph33rracing; tony30cl; carlosg_313 Traded with: Micah_Jones; MikeOfTulsa
    Apparently I was called out, or called a goat fucker, or something. I really have no idea. Im just along for the ride at this point.

dumple is offline What's in your trunk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon551 View Post
    Absolutely horrible idea. Deadener works because the butyl layer expands from vibrations and converts vibrations into heat and its then transferred out through the aluminum layer. In an asphalt based deadener you dont get the expanding and conversion of vibrations to heat.
    didnt know thats how it worked cool

Jbl ms8
    Pioneer appradio3
    Phd Studio neo 6.5s
    Polk db tweeters
    Cdt m6+
    Stereo integrity Magnum Claw v1
    cream jean of sound 8======D~
    refs: Lil_KB, jesusbasscadill, Crzy, Wkbdkid, bigwheel15, groggy23, kenbei, Belunt (awesomebox), Nissan, shallowfu, jonnybusa, alxmlr789, pioneerpimp, peas247, ravens9322, sundownz, audiobahnuser18, [email]nbesaw2@new.rr, jared530, brenTgrillzem, Revrider1

CHEMMINS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider4eva View Post
    Your best bet would be using like second skin, or if your cheap, fatmat...

Use AT and you don't have to pay a lot to get a lot.

References:
    kmarei, ge_off_me, AudioPipe, slim2fattycake, Louisiana_CRX, ARMed&Bangin, EXTREMECHEVYMAN, Dpc69ss, Psychoacoustics, Shinju, jonny101abc, snoopdan

BUYING SILVER TOP TRF MOTORS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMMINS View Post
    Use AT and you don't have to pay a lot to get a lot.
    dont use the letters AT together in a sentence like that. you'll be called a nuthugger and be ridicouled for it.

TEAM AUDIO TECHNIX
    TEAM SSC
    TEAM CADENCE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So i guess i was "the misinformed" but at least i know now thanks for the help i guess i wont be doing this. And i couldnt help but laugh reading all the posts but at least i wasnt the only one who was misinformed

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

'Sound deadener' works in more than one way. The method whitedragon is describing utilizes the viscoelastic properties of the mat (semi-liquid, semi-elastic material) to transform sound waves into heat. Think of it like a shock absorber for sound waves. Since the material is flexible, it will move as sound waves impact it. Since its much heavier than air, the waves will degrade much faster while traveling through the material. That energy from the sound waves is transferred into heat as the molecules in the material rub together, friction between the molecules being the actual shock absorption mechanism. So as you can imagine, sound waves enter the material, some of that energy is transferred to the mat material in the form of heat, the final result being a loss of sound wave energy within the immediate environment. Pretty basic stuff once you get past the whole big scientific sounding word 'viscoelastic'.

The second way sound deadener mat works is by mass loading. The lighter/thinner a material is, the higher the frequency at which it resonates. A thin piece of paper will resonate at a much higher frequency than a thick sheet of lead. As we add mass to a sheet metal panel (or plastic or whatever), we add mass. This lowers the resonating frequency of the object/panel. Since we know that the human ear's most sensitive freq range is midrange, the further we can deviate the resonating freq of a panel from that area, the less audibly noticeable the panel resonating will be. Imagine a piece of sheetmetal hanging by a rope/wire, you hit it with a hammer. It makes a sharp clang/pinging noise. Now you cover that panel with heavy sound deadener, and hit it again. The sound is now more of a dull thud. Even just imagining this made-up scenario, our minds associate a louder noise with the sharper higher frequency clang, and softer noise associated with the dull thud, even though the same energy is being applied to creating those sound waves. The only difference is the frequency, again the thud being further from our ear's "sweet spot", so it is perceived as being quieter. Psychoacoustics at work.

Asphalt, even from back in the old days, claimed to use the viscoelastic transfer method to lower noise levels, but the truth is asphalt mat dries out as it cures, gets hard, and loses what little viscoelastic properties it ever had. Within years, or even months. Butyl rubber is much more viscoelastic than asphalt based mat to begin with, and does not degrade to any noticeable amount even after many years.

I have never seen anyone conduct any sort of scientific to compare the perceived difference in sound dampening between the viscoelastic transfer and the simple mass-loading method. Luckily, butyl rubber mats utilize both efficiently, while asphalt mats rely mostly on mass loading. Between that, and the fact that asphalt mat will eventually dry up, lose even more performance, and eventually fail (long before the butyl mat would), there is no question that butyl mat type dampening pads are the clearly superior product. The only question you have to ask yourself is, is that difference worth the price difference for your application. I wont ever go back to asphalt mat (besides using up the few remaining pieces I have laying around here, for odd jobs), but some people can justify the inferior product based on price.

edit: I should note that I have simplified the viscoelastic effect a bit here, for the sake of the discussion. But its worth noting that its actually the combination of the vicoelstic butyl rubber layer, and the rigid aluminum sheet layer, in a deadening mat that actually function to transfer sound waves into heat efficiently. Neither material would work nearly as efficiently without the other. The two layers rub together, which is where most of the heat comes from as it is transferred from acoustical energy.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

We need to have a pinned topic as to why it is bad to buy asphalt, or buy from people who do not know what they are selling and are preaching the more is better routine.

CarAudio.com mod(original)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast