Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Reload Thread: Just thought about something with gain settings...

  1. #16
    DDtC's Avatar
    DDtC is offline Go cheap you get cheap



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Va Beach, Va
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,768
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

    Re: Just thought about something with gain settings...

    Quote Originally Posted by princ3cmo View Post
    got ya. think I'm gonna go find one for myself.
    You wont regret it. I can run full tilt for hours if my ears can take it. It sounds clean and loud



    • 2010 Scion tC
    • Alpine CDA-117
    • JL 450/4v2 Active (Mid range, tweeters) JL 300/2v2 (Mid bass) DC 5K(Subs)
    • Hertz HV 165XL
    • Hertz HT28
    • JL ZR800
    • 2 x DD 9512i
    • Singer 300 amp 15.1v bypass, 3 XS D3400s
    • DD M4a and XS D3100 coming soon
    • Viper 5701 with Smart Start




  2. #17
    Why So Cereal?'s Avatar
    Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Drowning in milk
    Posts
    7,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

    Re: Just thought about something with gain settings...

    Quote Originally Posted by Z1NONLY View Post
    When I looked at one of my synthetic bass tracks "Bass mechanic" IIRC, Audacity lit that track up with so much red I was surprised there was no audible clipping in the recording.

    I set my gain @ 0db and 75%. Per the instructions. I still have another 25% on the dial for tracks that are recorded a little low. (Or just to work the sub on a well recorded track.)

    If I were seeking maximum output for a competition or something like that, I would set up the amp, sub, and enclosure within an inch of their lives. If I had the option of using my own music, I would use production software to bring the track up to just about 0db.
    same issue I ran into on some tracks. I got a good bit of red on tracks ripped straight off of albums but downloaded mp3s stayed right at 0db at all frequencies.
    all of the songs I tried stayed around 5db max in the sub bass and midbass regions though. In the higher regions is where the red came in though. I have yet to try a bass mekanik track tho.




  3. #18
    Why So Cereal?'s Avatar
    Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Drowning in milk
    Posts
    7,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

    Re: Just thought about something with gain settings...

    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGrey75 View Post
    You wont regret it. I can run full tilt for hours if my ears can take it. It sounds clean and loud
    heck yea! I think I may need to put more power to my comps. even thinking about going active so I can pick up better dynamics at lower volume but gonna try setting up my gains correctly and see if anything changes.




  4. #19
    BnGRacing's Avatar
    BnGRacing is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Just thought about something with gain settings...

    Do not adjust your amp gain w/a DMM unless the owner's manual specifically says it's OK.

    You're using unregulated amps and their output will vary based on the vehicle's voltage. In addition, the Boston amp is quite under rated and clips so well you can hardly hear it over the mechanical distortion of the speaker. Compounding matters even more, the output of the amp may change when it "sees" a load.

    To do things right you should really use an O-scope and set to 0db overlap (initially). Instead of a dummy load, use an old subwoofer you have laying around and/or a pair of old bookshelf speakers. Run 50/60hz sine wave thru the sub channel & 1kHz for your highs while watching what's happening on your o-scope. Once you have that set, listen to your system; do you like it? Most people do not like their systems set for 0db overlap and I'm being completely honest about that. Most people actually prefer a little 'dirt' in their music and appreciate the slight increase in average power you'll get if you do the volume @ 75% or -5dB overlap stuff.

    But using a DMM is out of the question for your amps (Boston & Kicker). The Kicker clips pretty violently, so you can probably get away with setting the gains by ear. The Boston? No way, you'll need an o-scope to make sure it's set right.




  5. #20
    Why So Cereal?'s Avatar
    Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Drowning in milk
    Posts
    7,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

    Re: Just thought about something with gain settings...

    Quote Originally Posted by BnGRacing View Post
    Do not adjust your amp gain w/a DMM unless the owner's manual specifically says it's OK.

    You're using unregulated amps and their output will vary based on the vehicle's voltage. In addition, the Boston amp is quite under rated and clips so well you can hardly hear it over the mechanical distortion of the speaker. Compounding matters even more, the output of the amp may change when it "sees" a load.

    To do things right you should really use an O-scope and set to 0db overlap (initially). Instead of a dummy load, use an old subwoofer you have laying around and/or a pair of old bookshelf speakers. Run 50/60hz sine wave thru the sub channel & 1kHz for your highs while watching what's happening on your o-scope. Once you have that set, listen to your system; do you like it? Most people do not like their systems set for 0db overlap and I'm being completely honest about that. Most people actually prefer a little 'dirt' in their music and appreciate the slight increase in average power you'll get if you do the volume @ 75% or -5dB overlap stuff.

    But using a DMM is out of the question for your amps (Boston & Kicker). The Kicker clips pretty violently, so you can probably get away with setting the gains by ear. The Boston? No way, you'll need an o-scope to make sure it's set right.
    though that would complicate things more, its nice to know my Boston amp is a fine piece of equipment!

    I think i'm def gonna try and get my hands on DD1 like haze was telling me about and setup my mids n highs on my Boston amp with 0db overlap. My midbass and sub bass probably with -5db and then level match from my HU from there (if my bass seems to come over my mids n highs)




  6. #21
    DDtC's Avatar
    DDtC is offline Go cheap you get cheap



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Va Beach, Va
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,768
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

    Re: Just thought about something with gain settings...

    The disc has 0 to -15 at 40hz and 1k.. I would let you use mine but a lot of people want me to hook them up next week



    • 2010 Scion tC
    • Alpine CDA-117
    • JL 450/4v2 Active (Mid range, tweeters) JL 300/2v2 (Mid bass) DC 5K(Subs)
    • Hertz HV 165XL
    • Hertz HT28
    • JL ZR800
    • 2 x DD 9512i
    • Singer 300 amp 15.1v bypass, 3 XS D3400s
    • DD M4a and XS D3100 coming soon
    • Viper 5701 with Smart Start

  7. #22
    Why So Cereal?'s Avatar
    Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Drowning in milk
    Posts
    7,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

    Re: Just thought about something with gain settings...

    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGrey75 View Post
    The disc has 0 to -15 at 40hz and 1k.. I would let you use mine but a lot of people want me to hook them up next week
    it might be a minute before I get around to doing all of this anyway. my schedule is looking like hell right now! If i could borrow yours that would be the shiz!!!




Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum