Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fitting 6.5 inch components in dash of Chevy truck....help

I have had an old pair of 6.5 inch component speakers sitting in storage. I finally have a chance to install them, but I don't think they'll fit in the dash of the truck I have. 1990 Chevy 1500 extended cab.

The dash holds 4x6 speakers. I hear they make 4x6 adapters to fit 3.5, 4, even 5.25 inch speakers. What about 6.5 inch? And will it fit in the dash?

And where can I buy such adapters? Any help is appreciated.

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1157 Post(s)

Re: Fitting 6.5 inch components in dash of Chevy truck....help

won't work without massive customization. there is little depth available. the adapters increase depth further.

most common method is to incorporate the 6.5 in the door and make a plate for the tweeter. or get a 4x6 plate component speaker (4" and tweet) and run the 6.5 or 8 in the door for midbass. a cheap and easy 3-way component set.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

LilBassGuy is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Figured as much about fitting the 6.5 inch in the dash, but my truck doesn't come with door speakers. Figured the amount of modification it would take to customize the speaker into the door would be a headache.

I don't have the tools for excessive customization. I need something that'll fit or something that I can buy to make it fit.

Thanks for the input.

Louisiana_CRX is online now dem shoes......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    605 Post(s)

You'll have to use a 1/2 MDF custom made adapter on each corner of the dash...first you need to remove the stock grills an 4x6's the take a piece of .5 mdf or half inch...using your stock speaker put it on the mdf ...then trace a line out about 1/2 inch bigger all the way around in two spots...then using your 6.5 template supplied with your 6.5's center it up in this outline and cut out the circle for your 6.5's with a jigsaw.......after that take a band saw and cut out each pattern you made...when you are finished.......take a roundover bit using a router table go around the egges to give it a smooth look....then your ready to wrap them in a heat streatchable vinyl that matches your dash color...also you can fiberglass these as well...then mount your speakers...do a test fit every thing should fit like it belongs...connect your wires then take some heavy duty liquid nail and put on the bottom of your pod...press them down back in the spot and hold firmly down for about 3 minutes...after that you'll be set with some awesome midbass coming from your dash...you will need a small right angle screwdriver to remove these in the future if you have problems you can get these at harbor freight for about $4

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3
    StreetBeat 2................... 145.6
    Stock 1801-up.................153.8
    SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2
    Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

LilBassGuy is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks for the input, Louisiana. But I don't have the tools for all that. Can I buy adapters like that already made? Or do they have to be custom made for my specific speakers (which for the record, are 6.5 Next Audio components, that I know nothing about, and I'm not even sure are any good)?

Closed Thread

User Tag List