Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Sound deading on roof of car

DrG
    DrG is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sound deading on roof of car

I want to go into a place like fx audio and have them dynomat the roof of my 2003 vw jetta, since at certain frequencies my light ficture vibrates really loud against the roof. Is it even possible to do this ? I didnt see where you would be able to actually take off the roof.

Also would it be better if i jus use a tone disc go through every tone and than use my low pass filter to not allow the tone that shakes that ficture.

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sound deading on roof of car

Yes, you can sound deaden the roof of your vehicle. They'll take your headliner off, put on the material, and put the headliner back on.

I'd suggest a couple layers of something really sticky (such as Second Skin Damplifier) and something thats is fairly thin and isn't too heavy so it doesn't peel off.

Or .... you could use liquid deadener *click*. It also works very well and isn't as heavy ... odorless, too.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

DrG
    DrG is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info, i think thats what I will do when i have the cash. I live out in edmonton alberta, fx audio might even have the dynomat or whatever in stock. NExt i get paid I will get them to do it. How much you think they will charge me , like how many hours would you say it will take them to do it ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Other brands such as eDead (Elemental Designs), Brown Bread, Second Skin, etc will be much cheaper than Dynamat ... and they do the same job.

For just a roof, I'd probably budget between $60 and $120 in Canadian funds. Don't know what the labor goes for in Alberta ... but it shouldn't take too long to do (1-2 hours).

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

DrG
    DrG is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ahh ok thx man you really put my mind at ease man. One more question would it jus be better off to dynomat the whole car i mean like i was told they have to take off all the panels to get to the roof. Also my car i brand new a 2003, it has airbags im curious if thats going to be a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's easiest to do a complete vehicle by completely stripping it. Seats come out, carpet comes out, panels come off. If they are a reputable shop, it'll all work out just fine. I'd get the whole vehicle done at once, if you can afford it and if you have the time.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14

ifandorbuts is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i would deffinately deadenthe car while the system is going in. no reaso to take that bastard apart more than once.
    I am working on a VW bug rightnow. so far about 80 sq feet in it.
    Any ca I drive will get 100% availalbe coverage.
    There are so many beinifits to sound damping the entire vehicle its insane.
    If you can afford it
    do it!

ANT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how much do you think it would cut down on road noise. I have a 92 camaro and man it seems like i have just as much road noise with my windows rolled up instead of down. Assuming damplifier would cut down on alot of outside noises?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sound deadening will drastically reduce road noise ... for those minimal times you don't have your stereo on

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14

Closed Thread