Closed Thread

Reload Thread: i have a question?

aaronwhitlock3 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i have a question?

if im running about 5 to 6k rms will a 250 amp alt set to 14.7v and 4 extra c&d batts be enough power i dont want to have to worry about voltege drops.

disturbed471985 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Re: i have a question?

You will have some as e1 does but I dnt see any major voltage drop with that electrical setup. Only one way to find and thats to hook it up and see!

RIP Maynard "My heart"

HU - Eclipse CD7000
    Front Stage - 5 Silver flute 6.5's - 6 Seas Prestige tweets Soon to be FS
    Front Stage amp - DB Drive A7 125.4 For Sale In amp section
    Subwoofer - 3 Skar VVX 10's & 2 TRF Blacks For Sale in Sub Section
    Subwoofer Amp - 2 - Skar SK-2500's & Sundown 5k & 2 Nendo bc2000's For Sale in Amp section
    Box - 4.25cf tuned to 30hz using a 6" internal aero 15" long.. Free
    Wiring - Knukonceptz everything, Big 3, Sprinter S12V370F & HC1800 Soon to be all FS

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)

depends how you run the system. if you actually output 5kW, your power draw on the system is 6250W (assuming 80% efficiency) which relates to 425A at 14.7VDC at that output, your alt won't keep up and your voltage will drop to your battery voltage. as voltage drops, power output drops.

so with your plan, you'll never see the rated output of your amp since you can't maintain the supply voltage necessary. funny, eh?

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

i2ain2thunder is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    depends how you run the system. if you actually output 5kW, your power draw on the system is 6250W (assuming 80% efficiency) which relates to 425A at 14.7VDC at that output, your alt won't keep up and your voltage will drop to your battery voltage. as voltage drops, power output drops.

so with your plan, you'll never see the rated output of your amp since you can't maintain the supply voltage necessary. funny, eh?
    What about the whole music doesn't use as much amps because it isn't steady. In my experience this has never been an exact science since so many variables come into play. What you're saying is all true I just want to point out that he might never need rated output.

Closed Thread