Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Help me build the most amzing SQ setup

Donewithaudio is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help me build the most amzing SQ setup

AS the title says. I am working on building the highest end sound quality system available to man.

I want precision, clarity, and good frequency extension for the low end spectrum, a true mid bass driver and a Soft tweeter.

I prefer sealed and would like a class A/B sound quality for my woofer amp and to run my mids (IB)

In addition, I base rms as an enemy. The more you use to produce good sound, the less experienced you are... in SQ terms.
    However I can say I want to keep it below 1500rms

My budget is 10k

Brands I consider.
    Rainbow
    DLS
    Image dynamics
    Mcintosh

I would appreciate some help, especially from the mods, who know there stuff, way more than i do.

Shinju is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Re: Help me build the most amzing SQ setup

10k might be a good start on a sq build but there is alot more to having the "best sq system known to man" then just money and "best brands".

Check this website out, this is a local Pro SQ guy (I know him personally) and his car is probably one if not the best sounding car I have ever heard period. This guy takes home first place and rightfully so, he has thousands of hours of install, modification and fabrication and placement time in this T-bird.

And his hu source and processsing isnt even car audio!

If you want the best SQ system you got a lot of research and reading to do.

Oh and the 2 JL w6 12's you will see are not even used in competition mind you!

Good luck!

Welcome Page

List of Ref's Just ask, Shinju on all Car Audio Forums!

Flawless Ebay Feedback User: Shadox2k2

BnGRacing is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What kind of car?

wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

You're about $40,000 and 1000 man hours shy...

Stupid Loud.

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitt View Post
    You're about $40,000 and 1000 man hours shy...
    this. entire interior is custom built around the sound system platform.

for example:
    Demo Cars

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

*My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html]
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

$10k is a good budget, no doubt. And you can sound great if about half of that is installation by a professional who builds successful competition cars. If you're going to DIY and you're a seasoned installer, then only 1/4 of your budget is install and you can get better gear.

McIntosh and DLS are the only brands on that list that would go into a build of that caliber. Focal and Dynaudio have a lot to offer in the speaker/sub area.

The vehicle will determine the platform and you'll have to decide what you are willing to sacrifice for speaker placement.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

*My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html]
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

To get the most out of that $10k, you need to read and research for a while. Couple months at least before you can really get your feet wet. There are so many options out there, you need to narrow down your preferences and pick based on that. You can do a very nice sounding SQ install for less than $1k or over $100k. It depends on what you're willing to trade off in some instances. Is a high powered, small footprint, highly efficient, name brand amp important to you? Expect to pay a lot for it, for example.

REF's
    Quote Originally Posted by cotjones View Post
    to answer someones question earlier.... after 194dBs your car no longer puts out sound, it puts out earthquakes

Current Setup:
    Nakamichi CD-300, Coustic XM-3, Clarion EQS746, Coustic 510-DR, RE RE 6.5" Comps, Powerbass XA-900D, TCON Custom Subwoofer, Ported 1.5 to 30Hz

Future Setup:
    In the works again

WTB: Best Joke - Thread

Donewithaudio is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I appreciate all the input. The car would be a Bentley Continental GT. However, Like a few of you pointed out, i have been out of the game for years, so I definitely need to the research again.
    Maybe, a good start would be to name companies that I should start looking into..

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

If you think you're going to have great sound by throwing money at elite snobophile equipment you're sadly mistaken. The key is in the hours of prep and tuning and tweaking. The most dominant factor of how a speaker performs is the room you put it in (or car in our case). You can either modify your car around the audio system or modify the audio system around the specific accoustic challenges of that car (or probably a combination of both).

You should take a look at madisound.com for raw drivers. I've seen quite a few of the popular ones in action and I've heard some fantastic installs with the 600$ a pair stuff and the 50$ a pair stuff. SEAS and Scan Speak are two of the bigger hard-ons in the SQ scene, but Vifa makes some find drivers as do a few of the others. The good thing about most of these brands on there is that a lot of DIY guys use them for home and car and have some very critical reviews.

If it were me doing a low powered build like that I'd look for one of the old school super limited edition multichannel amps (frank-amp-n-stein, original Route 66, etc.) I'm currently running the Zed Aduio Leviathan which I'd highly reccomend for a one amp solultion if you need that kind of power.

Cliff notes:

Shop madisound for components and plan to throw 20% of your budget into equipment, 50% into install, then have the other 30% left over to modify/tweak what you have until you're happy.

destined2race is offline Already Being Used....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So you come in here, make a user name called donewithaudio... post about getting brain damage from excessive noise, and now want to build a 10k sq setup??

Headunit - Kenwood DDX 318 4v double din
    Front Stage - JL Audio c2 6.5 comp set
    Rear Stage - Jl Audio VR 6" comp set
    Front stage amp - OS Sony (.005 THD Rated)
    Sub Stage - 2 10" IDs 1cu sealed per
    Sub Stage Amp - Boston Acoustic GT-28
    Big 3, SVR800 Batt, JL Blue Line Rca's, 0 ga JL kit
    Refs - The_Grimy_One, Deusle, zach90z, shineman08, Orion 2500D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Zaph|Audio

Learned quite a bit from him.

REF's
    Quote Originally Posted by cotjones View Post
    to answer someones question earlier.... after 194dBs your car no longer puts out sound, it puts out earthquakes

Current Setup:
    Nakamichi CD-300, Coustic XM-3, Clarion EQS746, Coustic 510-DR, RE RE 6.5" Comps, Powerbass XA-900D, TCON Custom Subwoofer, Ported 1.5 to 30Hz

Future Setup:
    In the works again

WTB: Best Joke - Thread

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by destined2race View Post
    So you come in here, make a user name called donewithaudio... post about getting brain damage from excessive noise, and now want to build a 10k sq setup??
    LOL. Didn't even notice that. Troll of the year award candidate?

Herro is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

God visited him last night and now he can hear birds singing miles away. I assumed.

Phoenix Risen is offline OG.... Original Ginger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

if you really want to get into sq then time will be your best friend, 1000's of hours tuning and tweeking.

i still dont see how your going to be able to stand sitting in a competition caliber sq machine when you have to sit in a dark room and cant stand any sound.

R.I.P. 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GS
    2005 Subaru Baja turbo, build in planing stages.

Closed Thread