Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Enclosures or not for 6X9 speakers in rear deck?

roger55 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Enclosures or not for 6X9 speakers in rear deck?

I've got a 1955 Chevy I'm restoring to drive. I'm going with just an in-dash receiver that is OK but nothing special. I'm 56 and have some hearing troubles and really can't take loud music anymore. So I'm not going for high power or a sub. Just some average 6X9 3-ways in the rear window tray and a couple of 4" 2-ways in the door.

My question is should I use enclosures for the 6X9 speakers? I like the idea to isolate road noise from the trunk but don't want to hurt the sound. Or, could enclosures actually improve lower volume sound and/or bass?

I was looking at the Sound Ordinance Bunker enclosures that Crutchfield has.
    And some $60 Rockford Fosgate 6X9s.

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Re: Enclosures or not for 6X9 speakers in rear deck?

I wouldnt bother but thats just me

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

05trailblazer is offline k33p groaning son :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just deaden your doors

RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Most door speakers are designed to be in a large air space that isn't air tight, so leaving them free-air in the rear deck more than likely isn't going to be an issue.

1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at [email protected]

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am sound deadening and insulating the entire passenger compartment with RAAMmat. But, not the trunk.
    So my thought with the enclosures would be for more sound isolation from the trunk area from road noise. But, I don't want to make the sound of the speakers worse. So, that is my question. Is there a reason not to use them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RAM_Designs View Post
    Most door speakers are designed to be in a large air space that isn't air tight, so leaving them free-air in the rear deck more than likely isn't going to be an issue.
    This is true when you are not running a sub. In my case i seriously need to isolate my rear speakers from the trunk area , the pressure from my subs makes my rear speakers sound terrible at high volumes , yet the front ones (running off the same channels) sound great.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Buick View Post
    This is true when you are not running a sub. In my case i seriously need to isolate my rear speakers from the trunk area , the pressure from my subs makes my rear speakers sound terrible at high volumes , yet the front ones (running off the same channels) sound great.
    But, are there any negatives? Is the sound better without 6X9 enclosures?
    No sub, but I'm thinking about road noise from the uninsulated trunk whereas the entire passenger compartment will be deadened and insulated with RAAMmat.

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

In short, you will more than likely hurt the performance of the 6x9's by placing them in (presumably) small sealed enclosures. Most car audio speakers (mids) are designed to be placed in car doors or rear parcel shelves. For this reason, the speakers are designed to run infinite baffle (an infinitely large space behind the speaker with a baffle whose only intention is to isolate the front and rear sound waves emitted by the speaker). Acoustic compliance is the same as running the speaker free-air (no enclosure at all).

This means when you place the speaker in a small sealed enclosure, resistance to cone excursion increases beyond what the speaker was designed to work with. The result is less cone excursion, which will hurt low frequency response. Those rear parcel shelf 6x9 enclosures you can by at Pep Boys to just sit in the back window, tend to make the speakers sound shallow and nasally.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    In short, you will more than likely hurt the performance of the 6x9's by placing them in (presumably) small sealed enclosures. Most car audio speakers (mids) are designed to be placed in car doors or rear parcel shelves. For this reason, the speakers are designed to run infinite baffle (an infinitely large space behind the speaker with a baffle whose only intention is to isolate the front and rear sound waves emitted by the speaker). Acoustic compliance is the same as running the speaker free-air (no enclosure at all).

This means when you place the speaker in a small sealed enclosure, resistance to cone excursion increases beyond what the speaker was designed to work with. The result is less cone excursion, which will hurt low frequency response. Those rear parcel shelf 6x9 enclosures you can by at Pep Boys to just sit in the back window, tend to make the speakers sound shallow and nasally.
    Thanks. I'll forget the enclosures. Yes, the ones I was looking at were small. I'm going to spray 2 part bedliner in the trunk. That should give it some insulation to road noise from the trunk area. Plus, the area of the speakers is relatively small and shouldn't be able to transmit much road noise through them. The other thing is that it would use up a little more trunk room to have the enclosures hanging down from the bottom of the shelf versus just the speakers themselves.

fasfocus00 is offline doITdaWHITEwayORdoITtwice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
    Thanks. I'll forget the enclosures. Yes, the ones I was looking at were small. I'm going to spray 2 part bedliner in the trunk. That should give it some insulation to road noise from the trunk area. Plus, the area of the speakers is relatively small and shouldn't be able to transmit much road noise through them. The other thing is that it would use up a little more trunk room to have the enclosures hanging down from the bottom of the shelf versus just the speakers themselves.
    instead of spraying bed liner why not spray Lizardskin or something similar.

Here is my feedback Thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ght=fasfocus00

"If you ain't cheatin', You ain't trying"

i2ain2thunder is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Enclosure+speaker=win my .02

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fasfocus00 View Post
    instead of spraying bed liner why not spray Lizardskin or something similar.
    Yeah, that would probably be good but I already bought the bed-liner. It's a 2k urethane stuff which I like. I think the Lizardskin is a latex.
    I would think the bedliner would have some dampening and insulation qualities. But, it wont soundproof like the Lizardskin since it has the micro-sheres in it.

Closed Thread