Closed Thread

Reload Thread: What sort of 1/3 octave eq do I need?

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)

What sort of 1/3 octave eq do I need?

Hey all, Im looking into getting a 1/3 octave eq for my next syetm. All my old systems have only used in dash, 13 band eq's. I need to step up to a 1/3 octave, and I need some advice.

Here's the kicker, I want to keep my in dash eq also. Shouldn't be a big deal, I set the in dash to all centered to set the 1/3 octave, then I can still 'play' with the in dash on a song by song basis. This sin't what confuses me however, but the number of input/output channels on the 1/3 octaves. I want to keep the use of my subwoofer controls from the in dash eq, so that means a set of stereo channels and a mono sub channel (2 rca cables) out of the in dash eq. So, will a 1/3 octave accept 2 inputs, and output them accordingly (ie the sub input is routed to a seperate output to keep it straight)...?

Am I making sense here? Advice anyone?

Also, Ive been looking at the Audio Control units, as they seem to have the most varied line, and I know they are a good name. I see the eqt's are a single channel (run 2 for stereo), if I had a pair of these would I be able to run the setup I described above (seperate sub and full range signal output from dash mounted eq back)..?

Thanks for the input.

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: What sort of 1/3 octave eq do I need?

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic
    Also, Ive been looking at the Audio Control units, as they seem to have the most varied line, and I know they are a good name. I see the eqt's are a single channel (run 2 for stereo), if I had a pair of these would I be able to run the setup I described above (seperate sub and full range signal output from dash mounted eq back)..?
    I have yet to see a 1/3 oct EQ that will handle more than 1 stereo pair. You can make it work with your dash EQ, but you are going to create some phasing issues by adding multiple EQs. If you want to do it, you will have to wire your 1/3 oct EQ before the in-dash unit. Basically run an RCA pair to the 1/3 oct and then from there to the indash unit. Since all the EQing takes place before the crossover, any EQ changes will affect all the ouputs.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

audioholic is offline Moderator

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)

Re: What sort of 1/3 octave eq do I need?

Yeah someone else brought that idea up to me, running the in dash downstream from the 1/3. I'll either have to do that, mounting the 1/3(s) up front possibly in a custon center console I'll make, or I'll ditch the in dash eq I guess.

Thanks for the reply. =]

Closed Thread