Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Opinions on line converters?

EDL
    EDL is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Opinions on line converters?

Hiya,

Just signed up and making my first post.

I have a specific question, but first a little about me...

I have installed systems before, but only head units and speakers. I've never installed an amp or crossover.

What I lack in install experience I think I make up for in technical knowledge...to a degree.

I know all the parts of a speaker, I know how they work. I understand impedance (3 years of electronics when I was in high school), I know the laws like ohm's law, how to calculate amperage, voltage, etc, etc.

I understand single vs dual voice coils, wiring series vs parallel to achieve desired impedance, etc.

I know what an amp is, line level vs pre-out from the head unit, what a cross over is and how it works and what it's for, etc.

I understand the thiele small parameters and what they indicate.

I understand the theory of sealed, ported and band-pass sub boxes (and with nearly 25 years of woodworking experience and my own full shop, building a sub enclosure won't be difficult).

But...I have a question about line converters...specifically to use one or not, and here's why...

My Dodge Ram 2500 pickup still has it's stock system. Head unit/cd player and 4 speakers. I'd love nothing more than to rip it all out and go crazy and just take it to a shop and let them do it up (because frankly I HATE running wires and doing wiring...probably why I didn't pursue electronics, heh), but as with all things it's always about the money. I just dropped almost $9,000 on the truck in the last couple months replacing front end parts (ball joints, track bar, u-joints, a lift kit, 35" tires and about $1700 in repairs at the shop I couldn't do myself)...sooooo dropping a couple grand on an all new system is out of the question...at least right now.

So, at this point in time I have $200 that I can use on whatever I want and I decided that some bass would be better than no bass at all. I want to add a sub to my stock system.

So I figured a mono amp, a sub and a box at minimum. I'm not kidding myself that all the components are going to be cheapy, so I apologize to all the enthusiasts ahead of time.

In looking around I discovered that I can possibly add a pair of tweeters, crossovers for the tweets and and a 7 band equalizer (personally I like equalizers).

So far I've looked at the Orion CO500.1 mono amp, an MB Quart 12" sub, some cheap tweeters and crossovers and a 7-band equalizer that will fit in the budget.

The only thing I need to decide is whether or not to use a line converter to run pre-out signal to the amp or just go ahead and use line level (the amp accepts both)?

Since the converter is obviously going to have to be a cheap passive converter, will it make a difference in sound quality vs line level? If so, is it enough to worry about or bother with? So, go with the converter or not?

destined2race is offline Already Being Used....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)

Re: Opinions on line converters?

do a line out converter over the line level. Some of the line out converters can deliver a high voltage preout.

Headunit - Kenwood DDX 318 4v double din
    Front Stage - JL Audio c2 6.5 comp set
    Rear Stage - Jl Audio VR 6" comp set
    Front stage amp - OS Sony (.005 THD Rated)
    Sub Stage - 2 10" IDs 1cu sealed per
    Sub Stage Amp - Boston Acoustic GT-28
    Big 3, SVR800 Batt, JL Blue Line Rca's, 0 ga JL kit
    Refs - The_Grimy_One, Deusle, zach90z, shineman08, Orion 2500D

BlactimusCrime is offline NUT HUGGERS UNITE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

tip, shorten your posts, youll get more responses

and as far as the converter, i prefer to not use them, but if you have to then get a decent one, no walmart scosche crap
    2nd, dont blow your money on something youre not gonna be happy with, go bassless of a while and save up for something you will enjoy and be happy with

Quote Originally Posted by loudrc View Post
    fuck you eddie.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeez View Post
    Judge me not by what i've done but the amount of haters on my balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXBMPN View Post
    you have the best user ID on teh site playa
    Refs: NateBerrier, Thegreatestpenn, mossberg385t, mfenske, plugitin, retroaudioinc, michaellane, Ge_off_me
    Feedback- http://www.caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/489798-bumpinboats-feed-back-thread.html#post7273394

BlactimusCrime is offline NUT HUGGERS UNITE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

sick of the doubles, FUQ THIS SERVER!

Quote Originally Posted by loudrc View Post
    fuck you eddie.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeez View Post
    Judge me not by what i've done but the amount of haters on my balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXBMPN View Post
    you have the best user ID on teh site playa
    Refs: NateBerrier, Thegreatestpenn, mossberg385t, mfenske, plugitin, retroaudioinc, michaellane, Ge_off_me
    Feedback- http://www.caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/489798-bumpinboats-feed-back-thread.html#post7273394

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

I would use a David Navone LOC, or none at all.

Vossy is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

I use a line converter, works great.. but I don't have it to speakers, just my sub. If I would do a 4 channel off of it, I'd definitally recommend an epicenter or something similar

2 Sundown Z 12s
    2 AQ 2200s strapped @ 1
    Infinity 6030cs on a JBL GTO 75.4
    in a BMW e46

Youtube: www.youtube.com/diablo2369

EDL
    EDL is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Blactimus,

Understand on the post length, but some places usually get upset when you don't say "Hi, this is me" first.

I'll definitely be upgrading everything in the future, but I want some bass now.

JimJ,

Thanks for the tip, I looked up the Navone LOC, $25 for a 2-channel...perfect, I'll use one.

Closed Thread

User Tag List