Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Subwoofer RMS...fact or fiction?

EarDrummin. is offline Is this my Brahma?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Subwoofer RMS...fact or fiction?

I made a realization. You look on a website for a particular sub's RMS. I'll use the Brahma as an example. 1600 RMS, 4800 peak.. and then there's the little disclaimer -"This is not necessarily the power the driver will need, or how much it can take, depending on the application.

SO.... In what application IS a driver capable of doing its rated RMS? Is there a general type of install for this?

Yes, large box ported applications etc, you don't use as much power. I think of the opposite as using a lot of power... small sealed? Would this apply to most drivers?

Audi A6
    Alpine 7897
    MBQuart discus
    JBL bp1200.1
    Brahma 15

AOL: Rav3Cultre
    http://www.sounddomain.com/id/eardrummin

limitkid7 is offline sell wite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Subwoofer RMS...fact or fiction?

yup, that sounds liek a good question.. may people that are into car audio but aren't REALLY INTO CAR AUDIO see the specs of that sub saying 1600 rms and is like yeah right then get turned away from it or think it *****. Probably b/c those aren't realistic numbers to a person that just wants something nice. hmm, maybe those numbers should be adjusted some - probably get more attention and buyers if they did that

---
    White Dodge Charger 3.5L V6
    Diablo Predator

Alpine d310 TV
    Set of Focal Polyglass 6.5 Comps
    Set of Infinity Perfect 6.5 Comps
    1 JL Audio 300.4
    1 JL Audio 1000.1
    2 9510 mtx subs

cobra65427289 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

depends mostly on enclosure for power handling, adire also has a chart saying how much power you will need in what enclosure, the bigger the enclosure the more efficent and the less power you will need to reach xmax.

al

Fact 1: 79,000,000 people are engaged in intercourse right now.
    Fact 2: 58,000,000 are kissing.
    Fact 3: 37,000,000 are relaxing after having *** .
    Fact 4: 1 lonely bugger is reading forums...- You hang in there sunshine!

DARKHART is offline One Hitter Quitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limitkid7
    yup, that sounds liek a good question.. may people that are into car audio but aren't REALLY INTO CAR AUDIO see the specs of that sub saying 1600 rms and is like yeah right then get turned away from it or think it *****. Probably b/c those aren't realistic numbers to a person that just wants something nice. hmm, maybe those numbers should be adjusted some - probably get more attention and buyers if they did that
    I too understand what you are saying but you must also realize that someone that "just wants something nice" won't be looking to build a system and pay the price that a speaker of this level would command either, that's why manufactures offer several different levels of drivers......

Just when they though it couldn't get any worse, in came the Lord of Kaos, the Darkhart has arisen from his century long slumber..
    NJack2AF
    .............Jameseypoo
    Randyrsx ..........Bagdntagd
    M3Transporter......Teggybwoy
    RJ Sclafani...........Zeuslicious
    Saltyreefguy........Qkassidyw
    Qtrhorse..............Nismos14
    Pistonsfan70........4nine
    SlainNothing.........Orangelss
    M3@Apex............Louisiana_CRX
    SW9152..............DukeNut

ngsm13 is offline BSEE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limitkid7
    warren, why u so cranky lately? jw...seems like ur a mainstream brand ***** now-a-days...do they pay u to complain about internet brands?? jw...not starting any ****...just a question. peace warren.

NG

http://crunktimes.com/ct/
    nG - BSEE

EarDrummin. is offline Is this my Brahma?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, I was talking to a dude on aim who bought a Brahma 12. He told me that Dan Wiggins said to put it in one of those sub-zero boxes (1.25^3 sealed), with 600 watts going to it.

He seemed pretty unhappy with it, and I told him he could run more power than that, for sure. I'm kind of baffled why Dan would tell him to use 600 watts in an application such as that one.

Audi A6
    Alpine 7897
    MBQuart discus
    JBL bp1200.1
    Brahma 15

AOL: Rav3Cultre
    http://www.sounddomain.com/id/eardrummin

xjmadness is offline The beauty of green

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

put yourself in dan's shoes. Would you rather have someone play it safe w/ power or give it 1600 watts with a better chance of it being broken and sent in

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EarDrummin.
    Well, I was talking to a dude on aim who bought a Brahma 12. He told me that Dan Wiggins said to put it in one of those sub-zero boxes (1.25^3 sealed), with 600 watts going to it.

He seemed pretty unhappy with it, and I told him he could run more power than that, for sure. I'm kind of baffled why Dan would tell him to use 600 watts in an application such as that one.
    It seems entirely possible that 600 watts might utilize the full excursion potential of the sub in that enclosure. Much more power and you run the risk of damaging the sub with little if any gain in output. If he wants more output then he will have to either get another sub or go with a ported box.

There is a lot that goes into determining how much power you can throw at a sub. Enclosure is the biggest factor. With most subs you will reach its mechanical limits well before you approach its thermal limits. Most subs are rated with their thermal power handling because that is the only rating that does not depend on the enclosure. Run a sub through a program that plots excursion and you will find that excursion is the limiting factor and that box type and size plays a huge role in when that limit is reached.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Closed Thread