Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Car Resonant Frequency

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Car Resonant Frequency

I am working on building a new system using a Audioque HDC3 and a Hifonics XX Hercules. I have heard that each car has its own tuning frequency and that if you tune the box to this frequency it will be louder. Does anyone know how to find the resonant frequeny of a car?

"No your two twelve inch Sonys are not louder than my one eighteen inch audioque...yes i know there are two, but trust me they are not louder....and yes your sony amp and my Hifonics Hercules both say 2000 watts on them, but no your amp is not as powerful as mine."
    ... I hate sony audio gear

Fightingeagle12 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Car Resonant Frequency

anyone?

Kangaroux is offline I put on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

your car has a resonant freq. but its usually very high (~60hz). you can use CLD tiles and try to bring it down a bit but it still will be fairly high. your best bet is to tune your box simply to what you want. tuning to the car's peak is really only necessary for comps.

06goat is offline bumpin bluegrass

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

An analyzer and a hammer. You hook a accelerometer to the analyzer, stick it to the roof of your car, truck, trunk, and then tap it with the hammer, or anything to make it vibrate. You can actually change the resonant freq of the roof by adding or subtracting weight.

2006 GTO
    800prs
    Audio System X--ion 70.6 PLUS
    Dayton Ref's

Kangaroux is offline I put on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nom nom View Post
    An analyzer and a hammer. You hook a accelerometer to the analyzer, stick it to the roof of your car, truck, trunk, and then tap it with the hammer, or anything to make it vibrate. You can actually change the resonant freq of the roof by adding or subtracting weight.
    if you wanna find the resonant freq. you're gonna need a term lab, make a sealed box and do sweeps to get the freq. (sealed boxes have fairly flat responses making it easy to find cabin peaks)

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

You need an SPL meter, a test tone CD and some subs to test. You should be able to see your peaks. In theory you can get a rough idea of your half wave by dividing the length of the car's cabin into the speed of sound then divide by 2 (or use this handy calculator)

Wavelength

Most cars are more like 45-55 hz range (up in the 60's if you wall) and as has been said that's mostly only useful for competitions. A box tuned to the car's peak will be a one note wonder and not sound terribly good on music.

Fightingeagle12 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this is going to be a comp box, so what i need is a one note wonder. thanks i am going to try this and see what kind of results i get

"No your two twelve inch Sonys are not louder than my one eighteen inch audioque...yes i know there are two, but trust me they are not louder....and yes your sony amp and my Hifonics Hercules both say 2000 watts on them, but no your amp is not as powerful as mine."
    ... I hate sony audio gear

Closed Thread