Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need advice for a budget system. Thanks!!

bonger is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need advice for a budget system. Thanks!!

Hi,

First off, if there is a similar post somewhere, please link me to it, I looked but didn't see any. If not, read on.

I really don't know very much about car audio, but have tried looking around at the usual suspects, i.e. Best Buy, Circuit City, Tweeter, and speaking with the sales people there. I'm pretty knowledgable about PCs and can build one with my eyes closed. Based on my PC experience, I know that most of the sales people there are less than qualified, selling overpriced under-performing parts. I assume the same applies to car audio as each salesperson seemed to have a very different, unsubstabtiated claim that left me more in the dark than when I went in there.

Hence I decided to do my own research, and that led me here. I tried reading through the forums but have given up at a loss.

So, I'm gonna give ya'll my price-range and what I'm looking for, and leave it to you.

I already have a 35w RMS Alpine HU, so I dont believe that I need one.

What I need and the $$ factor is as follows:

Component speakers for the rear. (Am I best off with component?)

Speakers for the front

4 channel amp to power them

These 3 parts should run me between 300 and 400 new. I'd love to pick em up used for like 200 but feel a little shady about buying used speakers.

I'd also like a nice hard hitting sub and an amp for it. I listen mostly to rock but do throw in some hardcore and hip hop now and then and would like it to be able to hit the lows as well as the highs as needed.

Id like to pay around 300 for the sub and amp, or used for half as much works too.

If anyone has used stuff, please post it here with a price, thanks.

Now I drive a 2004 Wrangler X and have limited trunk space. I'll need a truck box. I'm assuming I'm best off with one nice 12" for this amount of dough but you tell me. I'm the noob here.

The road noise in the wrangler is insane especially with the top down, so loud is important, but not at the loss of too much SQ.

SO, is what I want doable? A complete system excluding a HU for around $600. A little more or less is workable too. Used can work too.

Please do post the prices for the parts as well and where to buy them.

Thanks!!!!!

Jerm is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need advice for a budget system. Thanks!!

it's very doable especially since you already have a HU. Here's what I just purchased. haven't installed yet but from reading people's opinions I should be very happy:

front: CDT CL-61 components: $149 www.thezeb.com
    sub: 1 - e10o: $175 www.edesignaudio.com
    amp: Avionixx 600.4: used off forum member $205.00
    box for sub from gnomeaudio.com: $50 (or build yourself one for slightly less)
    Total: 579.00 not including wiring, they have wire kits for cheap @ WalMart.

I decided to get the e10o cause I wanted a sealed box and may go IB later, but if you want to go ported or sealed you could also get an e12k for $135 and knock $40 off your total.

You can also get the CDT-CL6x for rear fill if you want and run them off your HU, I think they are $45 off www.thezeb.com.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks man. The E10o looks pretty sweet to me. Is it a 10 inch sub? Would I be better off with the E12o?

Also, I did not see the CDT-CL6X on Zeb. Is there another set of speakers that would work?

Also, do I need a crossover box? I assume I'll need an amp for the sub and one for the speakers. What amps wuld you recommend and does anyone have one used?

Jerm is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bonger
    Thanks man. The E10o looks pretty sweet to me. Is it a 10 inch sub? Would I be better off with the E12o?

Also, I did not see the CDT-CL6X on Zeb. Is there another set of speakers that would work?

Also, do I need a crossover box? I assume I'll need an amp for the sub and one for the speakers. What amps wuld you recommend and does anyone have one used?
    Yes the e10o is a 10", the 12 will go lower. Also I've heard the k series will actually be a little louder with a ported box then the o sealed, but the o will have better sound quality. I only care about sound quality & have limited space which is why I'm going with a e10o sealed.

Here's a link to the CL6x: http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/CDT_Audio_FullRange.html

The crossover will come with your component set most likely & on the amp, I'm not getting a seperate crossover. The amp I'm using is a Avionixx 600.4. It's a 4 channel and will put out 110 watts to each of my components from the front 2 channels and the rear 2 channels will be bridged and put 300 watts to my 1 sub. You could also get 2 - 2 channel amps, it may cost a little more but you won't be as restricted with your choices.

For good prices on amps check out www.millionbuy.com. They have some good deals on Soundstream amps if you want a new one. Or if you want to spend a little more I was recommended Precision Power (PPI) availalbe at www.ikesound.com.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks!

I have limited space myself since I have a wrangler with something like an 8-10 inch deep "trunk" space. How much SQ am I giving up by moving up to the 12 inch in a ported box? Would a sealed box help the SQ? Or is the diff in SQ between a 10 and 12 make the 12 relatively worthless to someone who listens to alt. rock?

The amp that I'm looking at is the Hifonics ZX6400. It is 249 bux atr onlinecarstereo.com.

Would this give me enough wattage tyo make full use of this sub? The sub is listed at250-650 watts RMS if I recall correctly. Is 300 watts enough or should I be giving it more like 500 watts?

somekook is offline only 15"s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you have 250 bucks for an amp, your could geta hifonics bx1500d - 1500 watts RMS>you probably ddont need all thaat though. what i would do is get a cheap component amp...some inexpensive but decent sounding MB quart components, and maybe an RE 12" or 10" of some model or another. hifonics brutus series offer plenty of wattage, 500, 1000, or 1500 on ebay for pretty cheap.

clark32980 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am upgrading my stereo and I have for sale a Memphis Audio 16-MC250 D amplifier. Its 4 months old. It has now scratches very well taken care of. I have the original box, subwoofer bass remote (never used), mounting screws and fuse. I would like $175 shipped.

Specs:

125 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms

250 watts x 1 @ 2 ohms

I also have 2 MA Audio 10's with boxes. the boxes have .77 cu. ft. airspace each. These are also 4 months old Never abused. I used the amp above for these subs and i hit 133.2 db's at competition. I am selling these for $190 or you can buy both for $350 shipped.

Jon

Poundin'Metal is offline Young Buck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a rockford fosgate power 250 amp with a JLW3 sub, box and phoenix gold line driver for 200 plus shipping -- everything in good shape. I just bought 2 Kicker L7's, so the W3 is no longer needed.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How is the SQ on those MA audio subs? From what I've read here, it looks like people are really into the RE subs for SQ at a decent price. How would these compare?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BTW, could you please give me a good website where the RE subs and MA audio components are available for sale.

birsling is offline Out of the game too long!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just bought a pair of Canton 5.25" comps, Hifonics ZX8000 (5 channel amp), and a pr of Kove Audio 5.25" Compaxial, and did it all for $380 shipped. It can be done! I am selling some Kenwood 5.25" coax, and 6X9" 3 ways cheap if you are interested. They are almost new, ran for 2 wks and I sold the car. email me at bertkatie@wonderwave.net or pm me if interested

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Kona Coupe
    Pioneer Premier DEX-P1R
    Highs/Mids Amp: Hifonics Zeus ZX4400 (Thanks Dreid)
    Front: CDT EF-51 Euroframe Convertibles
    Front: Extra 3/4" Silk Tweeters via image enhancement kit
    (no Canton comps since being screwed by bumpin_blazer)
    Rear Fill: CDT CL-5X
    Sub Amp: Hifonics BX500D (Thanks Playa1)
    Sub: CDT HD1020 in sealed 1.0 cu. ft. enclosure (Q Logic, too lazy to build this time) :thumbsdow
    Wiring: Voodoo 4 gauge, Voodoo Digi 1 Farad Cap, Monster Interconnects
    Battery: Optima Yellow Top

If you are into fitness/weight lifting, check out the relatively new, up and coming board Anabolic Impact

somekook is offline only 15"s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oh god, dont buy MA audio. i know from first hand experience, their products are very overrated. one time i bought a 1200 watt "RMS" MA amp and it was pushin maybe 200 watts, my Legacy blew it out of the water..... what does that tell ya. there components sound ****** too.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK then, looks like the CDT comps and fillers with a 10" RE sub. Amps are still up in the air, but I think the Hifonics lines look pretty good and appear to be well looked upon around here.

Anyone got any negative feedback on this stuff?

Closed Thread