Closed Thread

Reload Thread: High quality non amplified system

eyalriemer is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

High quality non amplified system

Hello everyone !
    i recently bought a 2000 Isuzu Trooper and i wanted to install a good unamplified system consisted of a headunit and 4 speakers.

my experience with amplified systems is that they are tiring to listen to and do not have good midrange sounds (your ears are blasted with treble and bass and after a while you just want to turn everything off) and i wanted a good quality system for a normal price.
    i mostly listen to classical music which has alot of midrange sounds that i wasnt able to hear with my last systems.

the front speakers are 6.5" and the rear speakers are 4" and i need a headunit which produce good quality sound and has good tuning options and nothing more (no need for MP3)

Your help will be very much appreciated !
    Thank you !!

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Re: High quality non amplified system

Quote Originally Posted by eyalriemer View Post
    Hello everyone !
    i recently bought a 2000 Isuzu Trooper and i wanted to install a good unamplified system consisted of a headunit and 4 speakers.

my experience with amplified systems is that they are tiring to listen to and do not have good midrange sounds (your ears are blasted with treble and bass and after a while you just want to turn everything off) and i wanted a good quality system for a normal price.
    i mostly listen to classical music which has alot of midrange sounds that i wasnt able to hear with my last systems.

the front speakers are 6.5" and the rear speakers are 4" and i need a headunit which produce good quality sound and has good tuning options and nothing more (no need for MP3)

Your help will be very much appreciated !
    Thank you !!
    There's no reason a system using an amplifier will alter the bass, midbass, or treble. The higher volume created by the amplifier can however make it easier to detect erratic frequency response simply because the louder sound makes the difference in output levels larger.

People tend to notice dips in freq response pretty much instantaneously. While the peaks in freq response tend to be seen as simply the areas where the stereo performs well. But that erratic response, and those peaky output areas, tend to cause exactly what you are describing, ear fatigue. An amplified system tends to be listened to louder as well, only serving to increase the chances of ear fatigue.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

BassAddictJ is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

technically the head unit has an amplifier, it's just low powered compared to typical aftermarket external amplifiers. audioholic is right about noticing peaks/imperfections with a louder/higher powered front stage.

i feel that midrange sometimes suffers with typical 2 way setups. But this frequently may be caused due to less than optimal install, budget equipment, and/or lack of or poor EQ'ing. If you're staying on budget focus on install variables like axis, nearby surfaces obstructing/reflecting the sound waves, nice seal on the mounting baffle, etc... IF you have semi decent equipment you can make it sound incredible with the right install...

if you REALLLLY want awesome midrange get yourself a 3 way setup. Ever since I went to a 3 way with DLS midranges I've been in heaven. I can never go back to 2 way.

Team American Power Systems
    Pioneer Avic N5 Navi + CD-UB100 USB Adapter. RARE Circa 1996 PPI Ax606.2 in BLACK (1 of 400ish made) with 2 rare black graphic spacers.
    CDT DRT-25 1'' Silk Dome Tweeters / CDT ES-04 4'' Midranges / RE Audio XXX 6.5'' 2ohm Neo Mids In Glassed Kick Pods
    American Power Systems 240amp H.O. Alty / (2) Deka 8a31, 1/0 front to back.
    Unknown Prototype 3k @ 1ohm. TRF/PSI 8 layer 4in coil hybrid beast in 3 cubs @ 33Hz / Raammat 40sqft in the trunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunz View Post
    You could put 12V to my balls and clamp my dick to get 3kW+.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
    Glad this got bumped so I could fap to it again.

Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    There's no reason a system using an amplifier will alter the bass, midbass, or treble. The higher volume created by the amplifier can however make it easier to detect erratic frequency response simply because the louder sound makes the difference in output levels larger.

People tend to notice dips in freq response pretty much instantaneously. While the peaks in freq response tend to be seen as simply the areas where the stereo performs well. But that erratic response, and those peaky output areas, tend to cause exactly what you are describing, ear fatigue. An amplified system tends to be listened to louder as well, only serving to increase the chances of ear fatigue.
    This is what I think too. I don't understand quiet all of it but that's definitely what I think

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

ejschultz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Hearing fatigue is also caused by distortion. Listen to something at a mid level volume wise that's either a really compressed recording or somehow distorted. Then crank up something that's really cleanly recorded on a system that will play it with cleanliness. You're going to feel fatigue on the distorted system first, even though it is being played at a lower volume. The high volume will also cause fatigue, but, from experience, you probably won't notice it until the music is done. That's my 2 cents on that one. I say amp your speakers for cleaner sound and make sure the speakers you get suit your listening habits.

94 Caprice Classic LS: DEH-P800PRS, TS-C720PRS, MRV-F545, MRD-M1005, 2 Fi X 12s in 2.5 net cubes sealed; 97 Grand Cherokee TSi: CDA-9855, TS-D1720C, MRV-F345, MRD-M605, SWX-1043D in .54 net cubes sealed

Resident Jeep Expert, Mother Fucker

Trancer is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

An amplified system is going to sound better than running speakers off of your head unit. If you turn your volume up loud on a head unit amplified system, you are going to be pushing the amplifier in the HU much harder than you would with speakers being driven by an external amplifier.

Get an amplifier that will do 100 watts rms x 4. It will sound better than a head unit powering your speakers at 22 watts rms x 4. Much less distortion and this will also leave you room to push the midbass more on your EQ on your HU and allow you to turn down the highs to your preference while achieving the SQ you desire. You are very limited with 22 watts rms per speaker.

Just make sure to get a good quality HU that has a good EQ. Something with a 13 band Equilizer or more.

Sound deaden and seal up your doors to get that mid bass that you are trying to achieve.

Get a 10" sub and an amplifier to get the lows you need. It takes a little more power and cone surface area to fill in your lows in a large cabin such as your SUV. Cars can get by with this easier than SUV's.

Guessing from what you have stated, you aren't wanting a super loud stereo and trying to get that earth shattering bass. Subwoofers arent just meant for bass heads. They add depth to your music that aftermarket speakers arent going to reproduce. Aftermarket speakers arent meant to reproduce those deep lows that you will need to get the full range of frequencies that the songs cover.

Start out with a nice head unit. After that, add your aftermarket speakers and an amp. Then if you feel the need to add some depth to your stereo, you can add a sub, box, and amp.

This all can easily be achieved for around $500-600. You are wanting to achieve good highs, mids, and lows too. Don't skimp out on either, including bass. I'm not saying you need to rattle your SUV, but your low frequencies are important, even in Classical music

HU Amplified Speakers < Externally Amplified Speakers

07 black Yamaha V-Star FI 1300. 08 GMC Sierra QC SLE2 Texas Edition
    Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1, Focal Utopia Components, Focal K2P Components with Digital Designs T1 Tweeters, Audiopipe AQX-360.4, Audiopipe 3001D
    References: 21: DesertHeat, Ravens9322, Netherland24, Insomniac119, killahbean, Charlieee, Dustin19, djman37, dirthog, JayRich, JimJ, RassyMX, Slayerx, smgreen20, lyttleviet, RAM_Designs, Gingerbreadman, DarkHart, cwill5, Imtjnotu, Bettr n' Revrse

Quote Originally Posted by GeekSquad View Post
    Make the port as large and as round as possible. For example, a square port is more round than a rectangular one; an octogonal port is more round than a square port. Also, keep the number of ports down to one, if possible.

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

i agree, but for classical, i really only like to listen to it with a nice full sound. im my opinion, you just can't beat the depth and quality of 3, or 4-way large drivers in the house, even played at low, barely audible volumes. i get more fatigue listening without the depth of a larger driver. it will seem more like resonance, no matter how you tune it. my favorite setup was directed studio 10 with matching components. you are going to find that you loose power and efficiency with aftermarket speakers, but gain sq. silk dome tweeters, poly cones, and rubber/butyl sorrounds always seem to have the best sound to me. i would look at a nice 5-6channel amp to go with whatever you decide, or at least a 4 with option to add a sub amp.

trumpet is offline Supporting Vendor trumpet is a Supporting Member of the forum!

trumpet is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

I've been an "SQ guy" ever since I got into car audio at the age of 17. As I try different equipment and expand my horizons I have learned that more power is almost always a good thing. Classical music especially can benefit from powerful amplification on high quality speakers in a good installation. Dynamic range in classical performances can be massive, and when the music builds to its peak you really need to have plenty of power and minimal distortion. SQ can be loud too.

Closed Thread