Closed Thread

Reload Thread: any decent (or dare i say good) component sets for under $100??

allyourblood is offline kill the fakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

any decent (or dare i say good) component sets for under $100??

just like the subject line says. i'm not looking for the best $500+ comps, just something to improve on my 50w RMS 6.5" implods. also, moderately heavy on the RMS to keep up with my subs, for under $100. does such a thing exist? or only in my dirty little dreams?

abe m.

B&R Innovation2 is offline www.soundhertz.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: any decent (or dare i say good) component sets for under $100??

You can find used ones easily for under 100
    I've seen Type R components around for under 100 ... sometime.s

you can always get audiobahn componets for under a 100...they take a fair amount of power but generally lack in any form of quality...

Better than sony.

I used to spend a lot of my free time here. It was fun I suppose. Still rocking the 9515 and Better Audio amp haha.

How's incriminator stuff these days?

josh99ta is offline Not Quite a Noob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only cheap components that Ive had a good experience with have been Infinity's Reference line, 605cs I believe it is. They can be found on ebay or the Zeb for around $100-$115 I believe, not a bad speaker at all. Take the time to put them in a good install and they should definantly be a step up from the Sonys.

http://hometown.aol.com/sqtransam
    ninety-five neon :: clarion :: kicker :: adire audio
    ninety-nine trans am :: the stereo is the only thing stock

ParkRat is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The MB Qart Discus are pretty nice sounding for the money. You can find them on ebay for around $100.00.

Berry47 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The infinty's really do sound pretty good.

Mine: CDT, Eclipse, Diamond Audio, Dayton, Aura

Wifey: Infinity, Concept, Pioneer, Profile, JBL

Refs: Ruckus, MSSOKC

geolemon is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You might not be in the "component set" market.
    If you aren't in a position where you feel like you can take advantage of the remote-mount tweeter, it'll just cause you more installation headaches, and there's a good chance you'll end up with it somewhere rather counterproductive.

Also, bear in mind a comp set has a separate crossover... more sophisticated than coax's which have simple 6dB/oct filters built in... and inherently more expensive to build.

For the $100/under crowd, I'd likely prefer to go with a coax that utilizes superior speakers meant to work with it's 6dB/oct filters, than a cheap component set that's forced to compromise the quality of the speakers used to budget in a separate crossover that's going to still be of mediocre quality at best... especially if this is for a drop-in solution.

Also, it's not necessarily the "RMS rating" that'll make them get loud... that's just how much power they can soak up.
    If they aren't efficient, they won't get loud with more power. In fact, heavier, higher-power-handling designs generally are heavier, yielding lower efficiency.

I think in terms of "i want them to play loud", you'll find your BIGGEST factor is your high-pass crossover, on your amp, powering the set.
    The lower the bass you send to them, the sooner they will choke, as a function of excursion (the lower the frequency gets, the higher the excursion naturally reached to reproduce the same output level).
    By blocking more and more bass, you'll find you can turn it up MUCH higher without any signs of distress.

You might be also surprised, if you just listen to speakers, without looking at their price tags, to find that a great number of the less expensive sets sound better naturally than higher-priced sets... so go have a listen..
    Let your ears decide in the end.
    Listen to comp sets, coax's that are in your price range.

You can't really gather recommendations from here...
    Because personally, some people like the detail of hard dome tweets, and brilliant sound properties.. in their application, that might make sense.. they might be utilizing EQ, etc..
    Other people like the soft listenability of soft domes, trading off detail for listenability...

It's personal preference... so just let your ears decide... don't look at brand, don't look at price tag... look closer when you find one that your ears really react to.

allyourblood is offline kill the fakes

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well, let's put it this way: Funky Pups ****. i don't need to hear them first-hand to know that. i'm looking for that kind of advice. i don't expect to love a set of comps just because someone recommends them, but i'll be more inclined to seek out a pair to test-listen.

i'm aware of the mounting issues. if i go with comps, i'll be doing a custom install, and most likely place the tweets in the A columns.

geolemon: i hear what you're sayin' about the RMS, and bass blocking issue. i still have yet to purchase a nice 2ch amp for my front stage, mainly because i was waiting for some nicer speakers before i bother with it.

so i'm looking for something i can put in the front that gets pretty "loud", but sound clear, and won't tear my bank account "a new one". people on here seem to suggest some infinitys and some MB Quarts, so i'll give those a listen. thanks all.

abe m.

Closed Thread