Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Help out this stupid noob please. Speakers, amp, and headunit for my 99 ram 3500???

BBBSS is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help out this stupid noob please. Speakers, amp, and headunit for my 99 ram 3500???

This is for my 99 ram 3500 quad cab with the stock infinity sound system, 6X9's in the front doors, 5 1/4 in the back, or the rears will fit 6 1/2's with a lil work I hear. Depth on the front is pretty good, can fit most anything I hear, backs are so so, trying to get exact measurements on depth for each, but no luck so far.

I listen to a mix of hard rock and rap and some talk shows in the morning. I'd like to not run subs in this truck, or at least not for a while. Looking for something that's gonna have descent bass for door speakers and that will be nice and LOUD, as my trucks a noisy bastard (diesel with 7" stacks and no muffler). I'm guessing I'll need a small 4 channel amp as well.

How big of an amp should I be looking for, obviously they should match the speakers. Should I be looking for speakers running say 75-125 watts RMS and an amp to match that rating? I want a good bang for the buck to slightly higher quality system. I don't want to go overboard and spend insane $ on this. I'm not going to be entering SQ competitions by any means. Just want loud music, with a descent amount of bass that doesn't sound horrible when turned up for a fair price.

I imagine its best to match front and rear speaker brand/type? Am I looking for trouble mixing and matching? I know some about this stuff, but I'm far from an expert and could def use a lil advice here.

Like to fall into the $6-800 range here for 4 speakers, an amp, and a descent head unit.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help out this stupid noob please. Speakers, amp, and headunit for my 99 ram 3500?

After looking around a lil I was thinking maybe something like this, plus some speakers for the back, and whatever head unit I go with.

Fronts - Boston Acoustics pro60se
    Rears - Something in the ~$100 price range?
    Amp - Infinity Reference 475a (will this be enough? Also looking at Infinity Kappa Four, or Boston Acoustics GT-4100)
    Head Unit - ????

I may go a lil over my $800 budget, but if I get quality stuff I can maybe go to $1000 for everything.

hatedonmostly is offline throwin' hunnits, hunnits

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help out this stupid noob please. Speakers, amp, and headunit for my 99 ram 3500?

You're going to need to use MDF spacers between the door panel and speaker anyway, so I would just take advantage of the opportunity to put a 6.5" component set up front.

Your factory door speakers are full range speakers, meaning they play down to ~40 Hz. Aftermarket speakers are not designed for this, they are meant to be crossed over at 80 Hz, no lower; meaning that a sub will be necessary down to road to fill in that low end response. If you can deal with having no bass for a while, this won't be a problem though

Fantastic quality amp:
    Crescendo Audio :: Amplifers :: 1000C4 4 Channel Amplfier
    Good quality amp:
    MB Quart ONX4.80 ONYX 4-Channel Car Amplifier/Amp

And this is a great front/rear speaker setup. I use the COM-626 set in my car and they sound amazing...
    CDT Audio COM-626/COX-622 Front-Rear Package - Vertex Audio

As far as a head unit, what features are you looking for?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was eyeballing some of the 7" touch screens in the ~$500 range. I don't care about navi (have it built into my cell phone if and when I need it and a tom tom), but I want blue tooth, a descent quality screen, and descent audio controls.

I'd probably be happy with a non flip out screen head unit if it had the features I'm looking for and a nice appearance, maybe some sort of dot matrix type color screen or something? I've had a few in the past like this and I was fairly happy with them. Not too sure where the technology has gone with these as I haven't bought aftermarket audio for probably 3-4 years now.

thisistiny is offline Graphic Designer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBBSS View Post
    I was eyeballing some of the 7" touch screens in the ~$500 range. I don't care about navi (have it built into my cell phone if and when I need it and a tom tom), but I want blue tooth, a descent quality screen, and descent audio controls.

I'd probably be happy with a non flip out screen head unit if it had the features I'm looking for and a nice appearance, maybe some sort of dot matrix type color screen or something? I've had a few in the past like this and I was fairly happy with them. Not too sure where the technology has gone with these as I haven't bought aftermarket audio for probably 3-4 years now.

Peep this one. Built in Bluetooth. I have the dd version. You'll love it.

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT 7" In-Dash Touchscreen DVD/DivX/MP3/WMA

'05 Tahoe HU: Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD w/ XM add-on

Fronts: Crescendo CCX65
    Rears: Alpine SPS-600