Closed Thread

Reload Thread: What Next?

01price is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon33 What Next?

Ok, I knew this would happen again. I need MORE BASS! I love how the phoenix gold cyclone sounds and how my 8w3's blend and all, but lately I have been craving MORE! So now that I got a job again working at American Eagle, the time has come once again for me to pick out a new sub or subs. I decided I would buy a PG 1200.1 Tantrum amp to power my new sub or subs. Maybe I will even get 2 tantrums. I have been talking with a few of my friends for a bit and still have a lot to cover. So I will ask for your opinions.

I am getting 1 or 2 1200.1 tantrums, they will be run in 2 ohm so I can get about 1400 watts RMS from them, about 3000 total. What subs should I invest in? I really like SQ, but I need more than what I am getting now, so throw all the mid-range subs away (w3's, infinity perfects. etc.) I was looking at Diamond Audio TDX, Adire Brahma, DD 9515, 9917, maybe the 13w7 (doubtful), any other suggestions? This will be in a sealed box also to help SQ.
    ===========================================
    -MB Quart PSC 216 -Phoenix Gold ZX600ti
    -MB Quart DTC 169 -2 JL 8w3 JL 250/1
    -JL Audio 300/4 -AC Epic-150 and 3.1
    -Alpine CDA-7876 -Phoenix Gold Cyclone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Next?-small-sub-box2.jpg  
    Last edited by 01price; 04-15-2002 at 05:07 PM.

jlaine is offline Vaporware

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The brahma series may prsent an issue with you if you are trying to drop them to 2 ohm only. A single brahma will allow you a 1 ohm nominal or 4 ohms nominal impedance. If you wanted to do two you could present it with a 2 ohm load, 700wrms a piece would be MORE than enough for my tastes. 450 was enough with a singular brahma 12 in the back of a z28... We sell them for 429, 369, and 339 shipped for the 15, 12, and 10, respectively.

Also, drop the misnomer of sealed helping SQ, it is all about proper design, I can't stress that enough... I STRONGLY suggest you try porting the brahma, it maintains sonic quality while increasing low end output, which is EXACTLY what you are after... The beautiful thing is that you can sqeak a single 12" brahma into a ported enclosure as small as 1.5 cubic feet after displacement of port and subwoofer, and have fantastic results. My 10"s are going in .85 cubic feet ported (that isn't a misprint!)

I can't help on the other drivers, except to state I am firmly against the DD lines you posted if you are into SQ...

You are one lucky pup... That cyclone is a piece of car audio history... I'd hang on to that baby...

Any further Q's on the brahma's feel free to ask.
    Last edited by jlaine; 04-15-2002 at 05:45 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Time for a little self-advertiseing.
    I bought 2 of the cyclones, and I am only useing one. I just put 1 of them up for sell on ebay, so everyone take a look!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1346626557

Ok now about he brahma, I didn't know they were only DVC 2 ohms, that is not such a problem, because then it will get 1,200 wRMS from the tantrum, which is still plenty. That sub box I posted is the box I am useing now for my current setup. I started thinking about what you said. The cyclone needs lots of airspace to play well, so I gave it 2.75 cu ft of 3/4 MDF. It is sealed. The 2 8w3's in that picture are in a .375cu feet sealed chamber. Now if I got a Brahma, can I port the middle chamber to make it a 2.75 cu ft ported enclosure, or can I take the 2 8w3's out of it, cut out a hole into the 8's single chamers, and then have 2 ports that way? Will this sound right? Of course I would modify the 8-inch sub "ports" or would this be too radical of a design, haveing a 2.75 cu foot box port into 2 .375cu ft boxes that THEN port out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by 01price
    Time for a little self-advertiseing.
    I bought 2 of the cyclones, and I am only useing one. I just put 1 of them up for sell on ebay, so everyone take a look!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1346626557

Ok now about he brahma, I didn't know they were only DVC 2 ohms, that is not such a problem, because then it will get 1,200 wRMS from the tantrum, which is still plenty. That sub box I posted is the box I am useing now for my current setup. I started thinking about what you said. The cyclone needs lots of airspace to play well, so I gave it 2.75 cu ft of 3/4 MDF. It is sealed. The 2 8w3's in that picture are in a .375cu feet sealed chamber. Now if I got a Brahma, can I port the middle chamber to make it a 2.75 cu ft ported enclosure, or can I take the 2 8w3's out of it, cut out a hole into the 8's single chamers, and then have 2 ports that way? Will this sound right? Of course I would modify the 8-inch sub "ports" or would this be too radical of a design, haveing a 2.75 cu foot box port into 2 .375cu ft boxes that THEN port out?
    Hello,

2.75 cubic feet for a singular 12" brahma is some serious output waiting to happen.
    Unfortunately I cannot recommend you use that same enclosure as the cyclone, because of the very long port lengths we have to work with if you build a ported enclosure for the brahma, I have to suggest you have a new box built (unless you can find a way to fit the port inside your current box, then you can use it). One that I typically recommend is about 2.5 cubic feet after displacement with a single 4" vent 27" long. Don't worry if that 27" seems large! You can use 90 degree elbows in your design to get the end results you are after. This will give you a ported enclosure that goes LOW, sounds great, and offers you the extra oomph you are after...

If you wanted to stick to a sealed enclosure just for space issues, you'll be happy to know the brahma 12" is perfectly at home in a very simple, very common 1 cubic foot sealed box.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you look at the picture of my box, the middle chamber is that whole box, except for the front corners where I got the 8w3's.so could I make a port that ports out on the side?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by 01price
    If you look at the picture of my box, the middle chamber is that whole box, except for the front corners where I got the 8w3's.so could I make a port that ports out on the side?
    There is no reason you cannot, if you feel confident in your box building there should be little issue with porting out of the side wall of an enclosure...

soundgy45 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you are for sound quality. sound quality competirtors throw around 300 watts to subbs, not 3000. You should get 1 and get the new 12w6-v2. Thats what I'm gonna get. You could push 3 or 4 with that. and sound quality comes form smaller enclosures. normally. 1.25-1.75 is average for a single driver.

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by soundgy45
    If you are for sound quality. sound quality competirtors throw around 300 watts to subbs, not 3000. You should get 1 and get the new 12w6-v2. Thats what I'm gonna get. You could push 3 or 4 with that. and sound quality comes form smaller enclosures. normally. 1.25-1.75 is average for a single driver.
    hmmm even back in the day we had more than this....my car was a old hundred watt iasca car and i know for a fact my subs recieved more than 300 watts each....also my box was far larger than 1.75 cft...... try about 10 cft. you cant say this or that ...depends on what he wants and the sound he is looking for

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

soundgy45 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well, i know jl subs need very little 2 power most of the time, but some of their products get up their such as the w7, which takes around 500-1000 watts and that box measurement was for a sealed, single driver. a 10.0 box would b larger than mopst peoples trunk, unless they have an suv.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    in a real good sq set up (if you really want sq) never build the small box. medium sized usually packs what most people want..sounds good and still punchy . my 10 cft box wasnt in a suv either lol and yes i still had all my seats.... i just never heard a jl woofer sound that great in real small boxxes hell even the new w7's and w6v2's .... go small it sounds tubby and muddy

Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Jlaine:
    Not trying to twist any ******* here, but when you said
    You are one lucky pup... That cyclone is a piece of car audio history... I'd hang on to that baby...
    I think you're a bit mistaken.

There are more than a couple companies out there that market a rotary electrodynaic driver, but for the most part they are used in home audio because of their cost to manufacture and the absolute lack of midbass frequencies above 60hz.

The real history lies in the Servodrive Contra, who designed and implemented this type of driver WAY before the PG cyclone came along. PG simply modified this design to use two fan blades rather than a conventional cone for displacement, and used their name to make it a consumer product. They hardly engeneered this design, as they so graciously claim on their homepage. I think their website is down right now, but you can validate this at http://www.servodrive.com/.

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    umm to the avalibility of that thing and it is designed for the car i think there is some valid reasons to say its historic...i have id ultra comp 3 horns i wont let go of either ......but then again they took second in the world in my old car.

Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by LoneRanger
    Jlaine:
    Not trying to twist any ******* here, but when you said

I think you're a bit mistaken.

There are more than a couple companies out there that market a rotary electrodynaic driver, but for the most part they are used in home audio because of their cost to manufacture and the absolute lack of midbass frequencies above 60hz.

The real history lies in the Servodrive Contra, who designed and implemented this type of driver WAY before the PG cyclone came along. PG simply modified this design to use two fan blades rather than a conventional cone for displacement, and used their name to make it a consumer product. They hardly engeneered this design, as they so graciously claim on their homepage. I think their website is down right now, but you can validate this at http://www.servodrive.com/.
    Mistaken? I fail to see where I am mistaken...

The cyclone is a servo-motor driven rotary, and all of the patents used are owned by ServoDrive. Period. A portion of the cost of the production cyclone actually went to the licensing of rights to the patents, which PG paid out to ServoDrive to not only help design the driver, but had to pay out for the rights to sell them.

The ONLY place a servo drive unit exists is under the patent control of ServoDrive, and THAT is why you do not see many "other's" out there, because they have it locked down with patents. And as is their right, for their hard work and research. Others CAN make them, by purchasing the rights to do so from ServoDrive.

Create an extremely linear, distortion-free subwoofer with a twist, and you will go far. Their ContraBass system is often toted as one of the most amazing units on the planet, bar none. Mark Seaton has been noted to remark about the unusally high return rate on their initial release of the servo driven units, which they contested to the fact that customers ended up overdriving them, very often, because they were trying to "hear" the bass, and in the result, were driving the units past linearity, and damaging them! Often our own ears are our own worst enemies, especially when we are not aware of it!

There was no mistake in my posting. The cyclone is a piece of car audio history, and will remain so forever... now I fail to see where you can argue with this fact, or attempt to school me on the unit, when I know exactly where it came from, and how it was created... My comment was directed toward the owner as a 'congrats' for owning a piece of automotive audio history, just like I own a PPI Michael Anthony Tube Driver.... MA2150 to be exact... I don't use it very often, and I'll likely never sell it, it's a unique unit, and in pristine shape... It's heritage to some of us that are so inclined to have such things...

On that note, it's a rotary electromagnetic transducer... it is still considered a transducer...
    Last edited by jlaine; 08-08-2002 at 09:00 PM.

Closed Thread