Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Denali HD Audio Design

thrash is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Denali HD Audio Design

Denali HD Audio Design
    I am typing this now for the second time from my treestand on my phone. First time I hit the wrong button with my glove and I erased it all so bare with me. I am looking for guidance, assistance, and everybodys expertise. I just sold my G37. I had a JL Audio 10W6 in a custom box with a 500/1V2 pushing it. I kept the amp. I just bought a 2011 Denali HD Duramax Diesel truck. My plan is to put a JL Audio stealthbox in it with two 10W3's with the 500/1V2 pushing them. I want to keep the factory headunit that has nav and backup camera, but I want to remove the Bose 5.1 speakers and replace them with aftermarket components. Back in the 90's when I was into car audio more, JL Audio was a key player for subs and MB Quart was a higher end key player for components. This is where I need advice now. What would be a leading brand for high quality components these days? Who is the overall leader? I plan to get a JL Audio 300/4V2 to run my components. A local car audio shop suggested Hertz which I am not familiar with at all. Not that means much since I have not kept up much. I am in the Atlanta area. Are there any highly reputable shops in the area that I should consider for installation etc? Obviously I am not going to have the best setup, but I don't want to take any shortcuts either. Help me out and fill me in! Thanks!

CL1CKCLACK is offline CarAudio.com Boss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Denali HD Audio Design

Hertz is good. So is focal. but both very expensive. personally i wouldnt go with JL subs. id use something like a FI Q.

1996 Mitsu Clipse GSX 450whp
    1997 Eagle Talon TSI

refs:
    wes007parks, ridinswangaz, madmat, treylittlefield, mendezm9
    MHD2000, RetroAudioInc, power-fanatic07, Carnivorous18, Spltuscon
    Ridinhi, Wingsfreak9, Pro-Rabbit, 2000LaDe, nom nom
    DBBOOM, hrtbrk1, dgaf_, dirtbikkerrob, Nik592, SkylineTT

smgreen20 is offline phoenixphorum-com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Call some of the local shops there and see if any of them have a Jeff Smith working for them. I'm not sure what the name of the store is he'd be working at now, IF he's still doing it. I would hope he is. He will set you in the right direction. He was responsible for many award winning cars in the late 90's, early 2000's and has a had a few of his installs grace the pages of CA&E. I've talked to him on a few occasions and he was very helpful.

Speakers to look at today (that were of the Quarts then) would be Hybrid Audio.

My install
    http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998

Seriously_Tho is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nothing wrong with MBQ's these days & they're relatively cheap. Granted they ain't what they used to be but you're not building an award-winning system, so if you like their sound, why not? Unless you're looking to spend some real money they're still one of my fave speakers.

Some others - Focal, Rainbow, CDT, Morel, Image Dynamics maybe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

JL audio stealth box?? Ouch!! Have you gotten a price on one? Last I checked they were very high!!! I have an 02 duramax and ended up going with just one digital designs 3500 series 12" in a 2.25 cu ft box I made behind back seat and It sounds awesome. I'm not sure how the seats are set up on these new denalis but I'll try and post some pics on here for u. I'm on my phone right now and can't figure out how to post pics on here. I'm sure you can get an enclosure and a quality sub for less than the stealth box. But then again you bought a Denali duramax so maybe you don't mind dropping alot $$$$$$ for that stealth box. For components I went with Boston acoustics pro60's and powered by an exile 600.4 and they sound awesome. I had a 300/4 powering them but it's output would get weak from time to time and go into protection mode. I bought that exile because the dealer told me that it was the old school Phoenix gold engineers that built it and Ive been happy with it. I still have the 300/4 which I need to send to jl to get fixed. I just try to get the most bang for my buck. Anyway awesome buy!!! I can't even imagine how nice the interior of your truck is!!! I love my duramax and I'm sure it will keep u happy for many many years and miles to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I added pics of my box to my profile pics but im not sure if ur seats fold the same way.

thrash is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From what I can tell, Jeff Smith is at a shop in Marietta now. I will have to check it out. Will let you know.

Yes, I checked the price on the JL stealthbox. Seems to run around $749 retail. A bit high, but I have always been a JL fan. Nice to see another Duramax owner on here. Thx for the pics. Looks sweet.

Any info on Hertz? Are they a high component speaker system? A local dealer sells them and I kind of like the place. Hard to find much good info on them online.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks and yeah theres not that many duramax and car audio fanatics on here. JL is awesome overall I think they have plenty of bass and its clean so you cant go wrong with it. Honestly I havent heard too much about hertz components maybe somebody can chime in but honestly I like to look on here for recommendations and then actually listen to them on someones vehicle or at a shop that sells them and compare. It will just come down to what you like....some components might sound too bright for someone but sound perfect to you. I heard quite a few components and decided on the Boston Pro60 and im very happy with them. I also liked some Focal components but they were a little more than I wanted to spend but they sounded awesome. I say visit as many shops as you can and have a listen.

2002 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 6.6 Duramax turbo diesel
    6" Pro Comp lift with 35" nitto terra grappler AT's
    Dual yellow top optima's
    HU: Pioneer DEH-P7700MP
    Amps: JL Audio 300/4, Audioque 1200D
    Components:Boston Acoustic Pro series
    Sub: 1 Digital Designs 3512 (older 4 spoke basket so it fits) dual 2 ohm wired down to 1 Ohm.
    Enclosure: Custom built by me to retain back seat, 2.25 cu. ft. Tuned to 37hz

Closed Thread