Closed Thread

Reload Thread: building a box & choosing subs. help the new guy?

wannabang is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

building a box & choosing subs. help the new guy?

Hi. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I know there's millions of the comparison threads (because the search tool is a wonder), but what's one more?

My current (and first) set up consists of a JL Audio 13W3 pushed by a JL 500/1. I'm building a new box for it. The current one is sealed and built to the specs on JL's site, but I think I can get more out of it. I'm building a ported box (about 3 cubic feet) tuned to 27 hz, today, to see how the sub will take the bigger, ported box.

I also want to upgrade. Eventually, I wanna ditch this 13W3 (although it is a great sub) for something louder, more powerful, whatever you wanna call it. I'm looking for 2 12" subs I can put in a ported box and feed them 1100 watts a piece at 1 ohm. (fyi, the car's a 2001 Maxima with stock electrical.) I want the subs to sound good and hit accurately, but it ain't fun if it ain't loud.

I'm looking at the DC Audio Level 4s, the FI Audio BLs, and the Audioque HDC3s and I'm pretty set on pairing them with an AQ2200d. Anyone who would like to give their personal experience with either of these subs (or amp) and what they'd recommend, feel free to do so.

Also, If someone would like to tell me what specs I should pay attention to when it comes to spl and sq and so on, it's be great.

Just knocking out all my questions in one post, sorry for the novel. Thanks!

loud-n-low is offline i give ladies 30mm xmax

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: building a box & choosing subs. help the new guy?

maybe try the 13w3 ported first since you already own it? 27hz is a very nice sounding,low tuning.

Pioneer deh-p7200HD
    Image Dynamics ctx65cs
    Soundstream reference 2.640
    Audiopulse Axis 12/TC sounds lms-r 15
    Sundown sae-1200d

refs: SPY, oxsign, orangelss, projectpechkin, Dave_Damage, mjbailey21,Jerseyboy,Snoopysnooper

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loud-n-low View Post
    maybe try the 13w3 ported first since you already own it? 27hz is a very nice sounding,low tuning.
    it's what JL recommends on their site.. it's for daily.

kickerfan73 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with L-N-L depending on your interest level, try building several box types, large ported, tight sealed, bandpass, etc.. JL stuff is a bit spendy to be messing with so insted of just replacing perhaps its not the box or sub at all. If you havn't already try using a dynomat or something that will help seal up the car.

I know of a online store that you can buy sheets of sound dampening that is light weight and converts sound vibrations into a very low level heat. I used it on the doors to my 06 fronty and was amazed at the clarity change. I wouldnt suggest it on the floor but its amazing on the doors roof and sides...and at about $3.60 a sheet(13"x11") 10 Sqft at $36 is a stellar price...I also have been using these for lining the inside of my home theater speakers I built. All I know is that driver should be changing the landscape of the roof of your car when its working right....if it isn't then more power and larger subs are probably not the answer.

There is a whole economy in mobile audio. There are no cheap ways to be heard loud-n-clear and we are all going to pay.

clarion fz709 digital media receiver
    kicker KS6930 front
    kicker KS650.2 Rear
    2 kenwood KAC-7205 amps
    single 12" CompVX sub in custom fiberglass enclosure
    20farad hybrid capacitor

Mills561 is offline BURR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

in regards to your future set up:

if you're going to be running that many watts you're gonna want to beef up the electrical. big 3 will help out a lot, then you may want to consider getting a HO alternator and/or an extra battery.

the AQ is a fine piece of equipment. any of those subs are quality as well.

Florida Marlins, Miami Dolphins, Miami Heat, Kansas Jayhawks

SELF PROCLAIMED BIGGEST FAN OF: Ted Ginn, Michael Beasley, Hanley Ramirez

BOUGHT FROM:
    tristan560
    DARKHART
    tr10av
    dbeez
    wingman0121

kr15 is offline Polluting Residentials

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

All subs in question are solid, but as stated, play around with the JL first...if you do decide to change up, I have been very impressed with the DC 4s, as well as the FIs. I havent heard the hdc3s, only the sdcs...that said, any of the 3 are fully capable of being very loud

Team Flex Issues
    45s out the trunk..lowww

REFS- Supergumby5000, Lastcall, 919motoring, hippishake, daboyfromdabx (great seller), beach22

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kickerfan73 View Post
    I agree with L-N-L depending on your interest level, try building several box types, large ported, tight sealed, bandpass, etc.. JL stuff is a bit spendy to be messing with so insted of just replacing perhaps its not the box or sub at all. If you havn't already try using a dynomat or something that will help seal up the car.

I know of a online store that you can buy sheets of sound dampening that is light weight and converts sound vibrations into a very low level heat. I used it on the doors to my 06 fronty and was amazed at the clarity change. I wouldnt suggest it on the floor but its amazing on the doors roof and sides...and at about $3.60 a sheet(13"x11") 10 Sqft at $36 is a stellar price...I also have been using these for lining the inside of my home theater speakers I built. All I know is that driver should be changing the landscape of the roof of your car when its working right....if it isn't then more power and larger subs are probably not the answer.
    Yeah, JL's a great company.. I got the sub and amp for $500 after a lot of shopping around.. pretty cheap for JL I'd say. It's great quality, don't get me wrong, just wanna try something different (and cheaper to upgrade hah). I also look forward to enjoying the new box I just built while I still have the 13W3.

pelekeliko is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

pictures of the new box?

refs : Anonymous User, tapout, wgsj_fortvalley, grimreper912003, sic402, Twank06"GTO', Ridinhi

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[IMG][/IMG]

there she is. Built by my grandpa and I.

Dang, the car needs a bath..

Closed Thread

User Tag List