Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need some help&advice from you experts :)

92supra is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need some help&advice from you experts :)

This is going to be long, but please have patience with me... I really need your help.

Alright, let me start by telling you what I have done.

I bought a car over the summer in really rough shape, a 1992 toyota supra with a targa top(the roof comes off). I got her working well mechanically but now I want to work on the sound system. The sound quality and volume without distortion are very important to me because when driving at highway speeds with no roof on the car, I want the music to still sound perfect even though the volumes up high. I love all music...Occasionally Rap with bass, Occasionally classical, rock, classic rock...Really I never know what mood I will be in so I need my system to cater to all of that.

The car had a stock premium 10 speaker sound system option done by fujitsu or some name like that--2x3.5's in the front in a plastic enclosure with 2xtweeters in the front, 2x3.5's in the middle of the car built into the molding of the back seat for a sort of enclosure, then 2x5's in the back in a bit larger plastic enclosure along with 2xtweeters. The stock headunit was not in the car when I bought it.
    I figured it would not be an issue to just install an old sony 50x4 headunit I had temporarily until I got a better one, so I did.
    The system sounded very good at first, better than any stock car system I have heard. The only problem was it had no bass, so I borrowed some subs and put those in for a while.
    It turns out that I should have done more research because a factory amp that I did not even know I had under the front passenger seat caught fire a couple days after I had installed the head unit. I unplugged it and took it out, and it did not even sound as though it changed the system at all being there or not. So I left it out, started keeping a fire extinguisher in my car incase there were any more hidden amps like that, and went on my way.
    About a month later my front 3.5 speakers blew, it seemed like a slow thing, one day I just noticed they sounded really bad so I replaced them with cheap pioneer walmart 3.5 speakers temporarily. They screwed and clipped right in.

Well, Now I no longer have the subs or amp, and the head unit stopped reading cd's (sony is crappy anyway), its time to really take this seriously, what should I do?
    Would it be worth it for me to bypass my whole stock system and do something different? Or do you think it would be better to keep it and upgrade the speakers with better quality ones of the same size? It would not be hard at all for me to put in 6x9's in the back, fitting larger speakers in the front might be an issue but I am sure I could work it out.

I don't really want to experiment and end up with something I do not like. Ive heard horror stories of people spending too much at best buy and getting a poorly set up system so I really want to learn what I can do myself so that I know whats going on.

The two main companies I think that I want to stick with are infinity and rockford fosgate, possibly alpine... any comments on these?

Here is what I am "thinking" about starting with:

-A name brand head unit (not sony) that has 3 preouts, mp3 support, and xm radio support.
    -Infinity 693.5 6x9's in the back built into those 6x9 boxes easily found all over ebay.
    -Rockford 100x2 RMS watt amp to drive the 6x9s.
    -Leave the front speakers working off the head unit for now.

Would that be a good start for the mid-high end?
    I feel clueless...

What would really be my best setup for a great sounding loud and distortion free system?

If I get the job I am going in for an interview at tommorrow, money won't be too much an issue but I still don't want to go too crazy.

mich78 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need some help&advice from you experts :)

This is what I have and it sound perfect more than perfect like a concert

Alpine IVA 900
    2 AMPS JL Audio 300/4
    2 pair of MBQuart 6 1/2 Premium Front and rear
    1 JL Audio 500/1
    1 10W7

Tomorrow I will change for a 1000/1 and a 13W7

92supra is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need some help&advice from you experts :)

That looks like a wonderful setup from what I can tell.
    So is the general concensus that 1 JL audio high rms sub would be better than 2 say rockford fosgate subs for the same price just lower rms?

Also could someone please explain to me how having rear fills may interfere with my bass?

Closed Thread