Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Need advice on new system (already have a JL 500/1 but need a sub to match it)

systemJLx is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need advice on new system (already have a JL 500/1 but need a sub to match it)

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    So are you going to stick with 1 sub or 2. Because I have a recommendation for 2 subs @250w rms. Two Fi X in a ported box: https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraud...iew.shopscript
    wow those subs actually look pretty decent. i like black subwoofers as well without too much logo on them, so those are definitely a possibility. i was kind of thinking of 1 sub, just because it would be easier to conceal and transport if i needed to. is there 1 sub from fi that would match with my amp that you would recommend?

two JL 12w3v3's in a ported box postin up out of the action for a lil bit

one 12w3v3 in a H.O. box on a JL 500/1 in a 2010 chevy malibu (this woofer also sittin in storage for a good min)

Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Re: Need advice on new system (already have a JL 500/1 but need a sub to match it)

Quote Originally Posted by systemJLx View Post
    wow those subs actually look pretty decent. i like black subwoofers as well without too much logo on them, so those are definitely a possibility. i was kind of thinking of 1 sub, just because it would be easier to conceal and transport if i needed to. is there 1 sub from fi that would match with my amp that you would recommend?
    Well the next model (Fi SSD) is rated at 800w rms. Now there is also the Fi Q. Even though they are rated at 1000w rms, I had one in an oversized box tuned @ 28hz on about 500w and that would stupid loud and low for what it was. Now there are different brands like Digital Designs and Audioque which would have a good single sub for you but you lose some sound quality over Fi. There is Sundown which has a SA version which is 600w rms. I mean there are a lot of different brands out there.

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the next model (Fi SSD) is rated at 800w rms. Now there is also the Fi Q. Even though they are rated at 1000w rms, I had one in an oversized box tuned @ 28hz on about 500w and that would stupid loud and low for what it was. Now there are different brands like Digital Designs and Audioque which would have a good single sub for you but you lose some sound quality over Fi. There is Sundown which has a SA version which is 600w rms. I mean there are a lot of different brands out there.
    even tho that fi x12 looks sick (and the price is very reasonable as well), i think i may just end up sticking with JL since i already have a JL amp, JL fuse, JL wires, etc. it may be best to just keep everything JL.

in the future tho, i could definitely see myself fucl{in around with different subs to compare and contrast how similar/different they sound for the price differences. the w3v3 is a pretty awesome driver tho, and it would sound great with rock like disturbed and korn, and even country.

i definitely appreciate you showing me different possibilities tho, as it does seem like JL is extremely over priced. i do appreciate you showing me the light, but i'm still in that brainwashed stage lol. maybe one day i will be able to convert tho.

do you think one 12w3v3 will be able to safely handle a 500/1 all by itself? or is that pushing the limits of the driver?

one 12w3v3 in a H.O. box on a JL 500/1 in a 2010 chevy malibu (this woofer also sittin in storage for a good min)

350zspl is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

wow. that is actually such a good idea i dont know why i didn't think of it. that could definitely be a possibility. altho i won't be making the trip home again til christmas. i actually thought of taking just one out and hoping they wouldn't notice, but never even thought about potentially buying a blown one to replace it. that is an excellent idea tho.
    i have 41 years of hustlin

dbeez (Sold To SAZ4500)***nate2587 (Sold To)***executor485 (Sold To)
    hemi=22s (Sold To RE MT 12)***badvlvo (Sold To)***kharps (Sold To)
    rumblebee2 (Sold To SAZ1500)***Phand (Sold To)***ricoshay (Sold To)
    46panel (Sold To SAZ1500)***Sacking74 (Sold To SAZ1500)***audiophile831(Traded With)
    hrtbrk1 (Sold To SAX50.4)***streetglow (Sold To)***happyboy423 (Sold To CDT Comps)
    njaykaplan (Traded With Stetsom 2K6D)***plang (Sold To)***black bonnie (Sold To Sundown 1000)
    Vitveet (Sold To Dozens Of Times)***Masta Ace (Sold To)
    Ionsql (Bought From Enclosure)***joe98chevy (Sold To)
    Beerdrkr (Sold To Amp)***Kraudio (Sold To)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

You should be fine. As far as sticking with just one brand of stuff, there's no reason to do that IMO. Because not every brand has the best of everything. You take the best of everything and piece it together to make the best system. In the end it's your choice, but I'd go with something different than JL. If your going to break the habit, why not do it now

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

350zspl is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

jl audio has great marketing , that is why it is so DEEP in your veins, they have a following of mostly branding followers

there is far better equipment for less

as you gain more experience you will start to see the light

you can use all JL equipment and it will be very good provided that the install is good

i was stuck on rockford fosgate for 10 years and am guilty of the same thing

but i can admit being a follower and not a leader at one time

it is great to lead
    it is okay to walk along side

try not to be a follower

good luck i am sure you will be happy when all your JL stuff is hooked up in a good install

dbeez (Sold To SAZ4500)***nate2587 (Sold To)***executor485 (Sold To)
    hemi=22s (Sold To RE MT 12)***badvlvo (Sold To)***kharps (Sold To)
    rumblebee2 (Sold To SAZ1500)***Phand (Sold To)***ricoshay (Sold To)
    46panel (Sold To SAZ1500)***Sacking74 (Sold To SAZ1500)***audiophile831(Traded With)
    hrtbrk1 (Sold To SAX50.4)***streetglow (Sold To)***happyboy423 (Sold To CDT Comps)
    njaykaplan (Traded With Stetsom 2K6D)***plang (Sold To)***black bonnie (Sold To Sundown 1000)
    Vitveet (Sold To Dozens Of Times)***Masta Ace (Sold To)
    Ionsql (Bought From Enclosure)***joe98chevy (Sold To)
    Beerdrkr (Sold To Amp)***Kraudio (Sold To)

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You should be fine. As far as sticking with just one brand of stuff, there's no reason to do that IMO. Because not every brand has the best of everything. You take the best of everything and piece it together to make the best system. In the end it's your choice, but I'd go with something different than JL. If your going to break the habit, why not do it now
    i'm just not quite ready yet. i'm scared, very scared, of steering away from JL haha. it's a sickness and i know it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 350zspl View Post
    jl audio has great marketing , that is why it is so DEEP in your veins, they have a following of mostly branding followers

there is far better equipment for less

as you gain more experience you will start to see the light

you can use all JL equipment and it will be very good provided that the install is good

i was stuck on rockford fosgate for 10 years and am guilty of the same thing

but i can admit being a follower and not a leader at one time

it is great to lead
    it is okay to walk along side

try not to be a follower

good luck i am sure you will be happy when all your JL stuff is hooked up in a good install
    yes, the sickness runs very very deep in my veins lol. JL has the look, the advertising, the name, etc. to me they are the best subwoofer, but only because they are so popular in high end audio stores, but there is so much more to understanding what makes a subwoofer good. i am young and naive, but with due time i will mature one day and break the habit.

i will definitely consider these as well. altho on one of those subwoofers they advertised saying they are very good at being SPL, and i'm more into SQ than SPL, so i probably won't consider that one. i think it was the incriminator one that advertised being SPL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

i'm just not quite ready yet. i'm scared, very scared, of steering away from JL haha. it's a sickness and i know it lol.

yes, the sickness runs very very deep in my veins lol. JL has the look, the advertising, the name, etc. to me they are the best subwoofer, but only because they are so popular in high end audio stores, but there is so much more to understanding what makes a subwoofer good. i am young and naive, but with due time i will mature one day and break the habit.

i will definitely consider these as well. altho on one of those subwoofers they advertised saying they are very good at being SPL, and i'm more into SQ than SPL, so i probably won't consider that one. i think it was the incriminator one that advertised being SPL.
    You're in college?

Also, a lot of how a woofer sounds (SQ vs. SPL) is in the box.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^^
    yep

fyerbyrd22 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i take it ur rents bought the car for u??

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fyerbyrd22 View Post
    i take it ur rents bought the car for u??
    ya. but i tried to offer to buy my own and just get a piece of **** one, but they were still about to literally force me into selling my subwoofers. we've had a lot of fights about it. i have very controlling parents. i never go behind my parent's back, but in this situation i feel like they are overstepping their parental boundaries and i feel like what i'm doing is pretty acceptable. i know people hate on here when kids have parents buy them a car tho..

fyerbyrd22 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

pay them back for it, get the title, bump ur ****!!...ur an adult bro

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i don't have many finances. i wouldn't even be able to come close to helping to pay for the car. basically my job is school. i'll pay them back in due time after i finish professional school. thinking about joining the military as well to help them out so they don't have to pay for my professional school either.

anyways..the thread is getting off topic now, so let's not make this about how i need to be more independent when i really can't at this point in my life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

I'm in college too homie

Prolly younger than you too

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast