Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Dynamat single, double, or triple layer make a difference? And where to put it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dynamat single, double, or triple layer make a difference? And where to put it?

Hello,

I just purchased the dynamat bulk pack which has tons of dynamat in it. I have heard mixed things about using multiple layers. The guy at the audio shop said that it is a waste to put more than 1 layer. Is this true? I have enough for 2 or 3 layers in the trunk. I am using it for the following setup: JL 12w7 (1,000 watt RMS) in a ported box with a JL 1000/1 v2 slash amp.

Should I just dynamat the trunk? If so, how many layers? Should I dynamat other parts of the car?

I also am trying to decide if I need a capacitor or if that is unnecessary. Oh and I drive a 2008 G8 GT.

Thanks!!
    John

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)

Re: Dynamat single, double, or triple layer make a difference? And where to put it?

Quote Originally Posted by john.mulvehill View Post
    Hello,

I just purchased the dynamat bulk pack which has tons of dynamat in it. I have heard mixed things about using multiple layers. The guy at the audio shop said that it is a waste to put more than 1 layer. Is this true? I have enough for 2 or 3 layers in the trunk. I am using it for the following setup: JL 12w7 (1,000 watt RMS) in a ported box with a JL 1000/1 v2 slash amp.

Should I just dynamat the trunk? If so, how many layers? Should I dynamat other parts of the car?

I also am trying to decide if I need a capacitor or if that is unnecessary. Oh and I drive a 2008 G8 GT.

Thanks!!
    John
    Wow, a local shop with a clue, and a conscience? Hard to believe!

Multiple layers (or even one layer with full coverage) is not exactly useless, but you have to consider the law of diminishing returns. Each successive layer helps less and less, yet still costs the same amount. So clearly, there is a point in which the improvement does not justify the money spent (and effort/time put in). When this kicks in depends on many things, such as your personal goals, vehicle used, system being installed, personal budget, etc. Its impossible for us to simply give a yes or no answer.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

john.mulvehill is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Dynamat single, double, or triple layer make a difference? And where to put it?

Well I bought the dynamat extreme bulk pack that can do one car like twice over. So if I have all the dynamat to use up, would it be worth triple layering the trunk or would it provide no extra benefit than a single layer?

Where are the other best spots to put dynamat besides the trunk when putting in a heavy duty sub like the JL 12w7.

Thanks!

byrdman75 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

do you door panels and floor on the whole car if u got extra :-)

Traded with: Kroid777
    Bought from: CarAudioNewbie9, adrian1185, Doola36, pontiacgt
    Sold To: alex95sl2
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/466229-byrdman75-buyer-feedback-thread.html

KyleBechtold is offline Buy my fuses $1.25ea

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)

if you are obligated to use it in the trunk I would suggest the trunk lid to help weigh it down..

Ca.com

Bought from: Sctattooer, Korn4Life, wgsj_fortvalley, bk12321, Queball, bumpincrv, Splmaster, 310w6, Buck, liljojo4711
    Everyone I have Bought from has been awesome.. feel safe with any of them..

Sold To: Iakona, dustinr, squeak12, Worstenemy453, BeAlLsTaR13, rmzsuzuki89, c_b_, mendon mafia, dropped_tb, SPLluminator, violence., power-fanatic07, schackel, michaellane, aviator08, kodak314, dropped_tb
    Ref Link
    Tamparacing
    -b15spec, 727kid, pshull727, Nt_Hardcore

Want/Need ANL fuses cheap 150a 200a 250a 300a
    CLICK ME

Vossy is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

I'd go at least two on the trunk lid, otherwise 1 layer is fine elsewhere imo

2 Sundown Z 12s
    2 AQ 2200s strapped @ 1
    Infinity 6030cs on a JBL GTO 75.4
    in a BMW e46

Youtube: www.youtube.com/diablo2369

collin.k is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

link to where you bought the dynamat?

john.mulvehill is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

here is the link to where i bought it:
    Amazon.com: Dynamat 10455 Xtreme Bulk Pack 9 Sheets: Automotive

door panels would involve taking the doors apart correct?

misfit138 is offline a whole new type of aids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

The Xtreme bulk pack can't do a full vehicle once, let alone twice.

I shot out muh mom's vag with bossing papers in hand.

misfit138 is offline a whole new type of aids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

door panels would involve taking the doors apart correct?
    Yes, and you'll want to seal & deaden your doors.

I shot out muh mom's vag with bossing papers in hand.

DarkScorpion is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Single layer. If you only bought 36 sq feet, it's not enough for the entire car if you were planning on 100% coverage - this is usually good for the trunk and a pair of doors, depending on how much coverage you use. You could get quite a bit out of it if you stick to around 25-30% coverage, which is what many people work with. A lot of people consider 25% the point at which you get the best coverage/performance ratio. Read through this website: Sound Deadener Showdown

Ignore buying a capacitor. If you have dimming issues, address it in a step wise fashion - big three, followed by upgrading to the biggest AGM battery that will fit in your stock location, followed by a second battery, then finally a bigger alternator.

Bought from: BassAddictJ, TBH1, Whitedragon551, Parker G, Ciaonzo, James Bang, GetLikeMe, Here-I-Come
    Sold to: Slim2fattycake, Bigbangtheory, Safe_Cracker, Burton6431
    Traded: Bergend2

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)

Well I bought the dynamat extreme bulk pack that can do one car like twice over.
    You are over estimating the coverage that amount of deadener will have. By a lot.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

Geezerpoop is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Put one layer on, play music, search for rattles. Apply extra in trouble spots. That is what I did with my old accord and it worked well.

'07 Accord Ex V6
    HU: Stock w/ JL Cleansweep + XM Radio
    Speakers: Rainbow SLC Kicks
    Speaker Amp: Kicker ZX450.2

Sub: 1 12" Diamond M6
    Sub Amp: Kicker ZX1500.1

Second Skin Deadening

Refs: hellomota, Mattmcss, PatFitz9, NhustlaR, 6spdcoupe, shoeless, 528hz, basebalz13 Dewitt88/WMCLLR = GAY Scammer

Closed Thread

User Tag List