Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: There such a thing as honest car audio shops?

EarDrummin. is offline Is this my Brahma?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There such a thing as honest car audio shops?

To those who work/own a shop, please don't take this the wrong way.

Today I visited Ultimate Audio to pick up a wire terminal for the box I'm building. He says.."Yeah, I think i have one in the back."

So I say, "Ok, can I have it?"

He says, "yeah, 12 bucks."

ROFL. Why do so many of them feel they have to charge 1800 percent more than what they get it for? Given everybody needs to make a buck, but it's getting rediculous. 300 to build a custom, simple, sealed box (asked b/c I was curious). 100 for a simple deck intallation. It tempts me to become educated enough to start my own business and put their prices to shame.

Anyone have any experience with shops that have reasonable prices? Car audio seems to be one of the most expensive hobbies I've yet to see. Manufacturer's stress you buy their products at msrp, and get them installed by a professional that will charge you almost as much just to get it in your car, or your warrantee is considered void. I'm getting tired of it.

Audi A6
    Alpine 7897
    MBQuart discus
    JBL bp1200.1
    Brahma 15

AOL: Rav3Cultre
    http://www.sounddomain.com/id/eardrummin

green_slip is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: There such a thing as honest car audio shops?

I agree 100%. shops around here have outrageous prices for low to middle quality products.

mattj is offline Resonant Engineering

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Selling them at 10% above cost isnt going to get them anywhere. Usually with shops you can talk them down, and its best to install yourself to save the time youd have to pay them to install everything.

(SUMMER)
    2001 Ford Mustang GT Premium
    Mach460
    Alpine CDA-9835
    KnuKonceptz Wiring

green_slip is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But what if you know absolutely nothing about installation and it's your first system? I don't want to go ripping through my car destroying stuff trying to make it all work.

Shugarra is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shops around here charge $45-50 for deck install. Still fairly outrageous for the amount of work required but it seems better than a lot of places.

davidfre21 is offline Is just a lil racist...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

shops in modesto (30mins away) are decent speaker terminal was like 3bucks and got a fat pocket full of butt connectors for like 3bucks to

IA FTW!!!
    Team Sundown... what?

slick316 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the shop i buy stuff from was honest to me from day one. i remember it like it was yesterday. i went to maybe 5 shops close by to look for an amp for my mids and highs, my eyes caught on a rockford fosgate 550x 4 channel, they had one at ultimate electronics for $550, was too high for me at the time. so i went to a local shop that carried rockford, asked about the 550x, guy said he had one left and went to counter to look at some book (i found out later that it was the pricing sheet for the products, he was looking up their cost on the amp), i guess after looking at the cost, and then added a little more on top for profit, he came up with a price, $375. i thought that was mighty nice of him, i ended up getting it, and have been buying stuff from them ever since.
    moral? there are honest places, just have to find them.

2005 Honda Accord EX Sedan
    JL Audio Cleansweep, JL Audio ZR650-CSi, JL Audio 12W3v3 in custom stealthbox like enclosure in trunk, JL Audio A6450, Audiocontrol DQXS w/DDC

Home:
    Sony 32" XBR BRAVIA LCD, Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player, B&W 704 Floorstanders, Rotel RC-1070 Pre amp, Rotel RB-1070 amplifier (130x2), Rotel RCC-1055 5 Disc Changer, HTPC as music server and PVR, and XBOX 360.

ssj2xxgotenxx is offline The Chan Man

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You just gotta do it the old fashion asian way and talk them down a little. Do a little research and prove to them you know your stuff.

PopcornPlaya is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

there are honest shops, sure they are few and faw between, but they do exist. you have to find them. luckily i know someone at two different shops, and i help sell their products, so they cut me some slack. i send them customers, and they get me stuff at cost. course it never hurts when you sell about two systems a month for them, along with install, because you haven't got enough time to install for the people you reccommend to them. i do some installs on the side, wehn i have time, if i don't i tell them to go to the shop and tell them what they want, and tell them i sent them. there are honest shops, and like a lot of people are saying, youhave to find them. a favorite question of mine when going into a shop, "would you put this in your personal vehicle?"

"Whattaya lookin' at? You're all a bunch of fvcking assholes. You know why? 'Cause you don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fvcking fingers, and say "that's the bad guy." So, what dat make you? Good? You're not good; you just know how to hide. Howda lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth--even when I lie. So say goodnight to the bad guy. Come on; the last time you gonna see a bad guy like this, let me tell ya. Come on, make way for the bad guy. There's a bad guy comin' through; you better get outta his way!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ssj2xxgotenxx
    You just gotta do it the old fashion asian way and talk them down a little. Do a little research and prove to them you know your stuff.
    You mean ebay? :p.

Its 500$ over here at some shops for a regular ol ported box.

I call this one shop over in Phili for a friend, the guy knew his stuff, but he was a major ****, had the whole "holier than thou" goin on. For the 1hr I was on the phone, I talked 5-10 minutes MAYBE. The guy just wanted to prove that "small internet brands" couldn't make it, and that he made sure I knew "I know all the best installers of the world" I took his word he did, but he seemed to like to mention that literally 10times+ and he did have this whole "well you forum goers think you know things, but you really dont" attitude, basically telling me what I think I know is stupid and just bragging about who he knows and blah blah blah, pissed me off.

Ultimate Car Toys is cool to me, although I pissed off the head dude because I "don't stay loyal" and I told him because I didnt want to buy some JL ****, just another typical JL stuckup dealer. But Kosta be cool.

ANYway... SOME shops can be cool.

ssj2xxgotenxx is offline The Chan Man

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marleyskater420
    You mean ebay?
    What I meant is know how much the materials really go for. For example, you go there to buy a box and they say 65 bucks; just show him your not a chump and bust out the facts. The wood [3/4 MDF] itself only cost 20 bucks and you use a fraction of the board to produce the box not to mention you buy in bulk. Carpet, Glue, nails, and caulk only cost you a maximum of 15 bucks. So give them 35 bucks and call it a day.

Below 30 is offline Video Games Fo Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not that shops are greedy or ripping off. It's business. I use to think the same way, but learned something so very important over the years. D.I.Y.

Do it yourself. This computer for e.g. I never thought I could build myself, but it's done. The key is research, I had somebody explain it's not hard and read magazines. Don't say "Its too hard and too long to complete." Say to yourself if the installer can do it so can anyone. Another key after you learn about DIY is to go to DIY places. Don't shop for things like wire or plugs at car shops, go to DIY outlets. Here is Canadian company for e.g. that specialize in speaker parts and check the prices and quality www.loudspeakers.ca .

Think about it, that car shop doesn't have 100's of people wanting to build their own box, so nobody needs terminals. They don't buy in bulk, plus they don't move units. That is why they charge ignorant prices for simple things. Key now-a-days, is to research before going into retail. Don't rely on clerk to teach you. Go in, knowing what you want and know the MRSP. That way they try to cheat you, don't argue, go some other place. Don't forget to try order direct from factory, if too many retailers want to be fools.

When Skills Ruled

JLCivic is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The shop I go to is great....been going there for ten years. They treat their customers well, charge fair prices, and do excellent work.

I have become very good friends with them so now I get great prices on both product and installs.

2002 Honda Accord SE sedan

RF 8250
    Sirius
    Dynaudio 220 components
    JL Audio 12W6V2 sub
    JL Audio 300/4 amp
    JL audio 500/1 amp

http://members.sounddomain.com/perryb

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ssj2xxgotenxx
    What I meant is know how much the materials really go for. For example, you go there to buy a box and they say 65 bucks; just show him your not a chump and bust out the facts. The wood [3/4 MDF] itself only cost 20 bucks and you use a fraction of the board to produce the box not to mention you buy in bulk. Carpet, Glue, nails, and caulk only cost you a maximum of 15 bucks. So give them 35 bucks and call it a day.
    But they charge labor also. I know what you are saying though. And shops around here use staples(I know...) But most of the labor charges are what makes the price go up.

Ebay retailers dont have store fronts, so they don't need to charge a lot for all the added costs. Thats what also factors in to the expensive prices.

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Below 30
    It's not that shops are greedy or ripping off. It's business. I use to think the same way, but learned something so very important over the years. D.I.Y.

Do it yourself. This computer for e.g. I never thought I could build myself, but it's done. The key is research, I had somebody explain it's not hard and read magazines. Don't say "Its too hard and too long to complete." Say to yourself if the installer can do it so can anyone. Another key after you learn about DIY is to go to DIY places. Don't shop for things like wire or plugs at car shops, go to DIY outlets. Here is Canadian company for e.g. that specialize in speaker parts and check the prices and quality www.loudspeakers.ca .

Think about it, that car shop doesn't have 100's of people wanting to build their own box, so nobody needs terminals. They don't buy in bulk, plus they don't move units. That is why they charge ignorant prices for simple things. Key now-a-days, is to research before going into retail. Don't rely on clerk to teach you. Go in, knowing what you want and know the MRSP. That way they try to cheat you, don't argue, go some other place. Don't forget to try order direct from factory, if too many retailers want to be fools.
    Closest thing to a coherent and useful post this guy has made yet. Of course now he says that magazines are good sources of info but technical books, "novels" was the word he used I think, don't know anything about audio.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast