Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reload Thread: Audiophile Full Setup, What should I buy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Audiophile Full Setup, What should I buy?

and ill just leave this here...

FlexnInLa is offline Huggin Them Nuts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheSeeker View Post
    I'm glad you told me about the awesome vintage 2 channel equipment because I will be building myself a house in a year or so and will need a sweet setup there, but I still have the problem of a vehicle without music. I still love my van, just got it, and you should definitely get one too! You should go with the 75-79 air-cooled fuel-injected vans, by far the best in comfort and power. What kind of processor are you talking about? Also, lets all assume that I probably misspoke using the term "Audiophile". I love music, I have listened to and played music my whole life, but I don't have mad stacks of cash. I could really use some suggestions on different systems that I could actually afford and compare to others because I essentially have 3 weeks to finish the van interior (its completely stripped now) and then I am off to college.
    No problem at all.

As far as the processor, they are used to "fix" the inside of a vehicle to make it sound like a more appropriate listening environment, a vehicle isn't the easiest place to get audiophile quality sounds.

As far as vintage 2 channel stuff, let me know when you are ready to put something together. You can get REALLY good sound, really cheap, with a little knowledge, shopping, and room treatment if you go the vintage route.

New ride... new system...

2012 Jeep Compass Latitude

18" Obsidian Audio Sub in a Reverse Tapered Transmission Line Box
    Box Design by Mobile Enclosures http://mobileenclosures.jimdo.com

TheSeeker is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your opinion is understandable, Evil Squirrel, but I didn't buy it so I could look cool, I bought it because it is very comfortable, inexpensive, and reliable. I can't find what you are referencing in point 6. of your post. What is the difference in sound between 6.5s and 6x9s? Putting the speakers in the upper cabinet is a great idea, would the sub work up there as well? What is the difference between facing the speakers and sub woofer different ways (back, front, down)? Why are the amps so expensive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just like the lower front turnsignals, small taillights, and the curved intakes on the 68-71 busses better. But honestly, if you start having little troubles with the fuel injection, ditch it, its not worth the time, effort, or money. Carbs work much better.

point 6 was Subwoofers, AQ and FI both make very good products, 2 AQ sdc2.5 10"s subs or 1 FI 12" Q is about $250, but like i said, the Type R is still a very good sub and can be found for around $130

6x9s are more bassy

yours has a cabinet? like this?

you can mount the 6x9s underneath pointing down, mine has the same thing but its just a shelf, no door.
    you cant really put a sub up there

A bus kinda *****, because usually you face the sub/s toward the back to bounce off the trunk/hatch, but a bus doesnt have anything like that

Amps just are, you really get what you pay for though. and the AQ is a good deal.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My bus is going to have a cabinet up top like that one and one like on the driver side but longer . I am building them all myself so I was thinking a sub enclosure behind that cabinet so that together they would make a sort of "T" shape. Would it sound different depending on where you point them? Anyone know anything about HD radio?

emilimo701 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The alpine type S speakers sound cruddy. I'd at least go with the type R's. Rockford power (T1) coaxials sound good too. if you want POWAH, Soundstream SST and Hifonics coaxials can take a lot of wattage for the $.

what are you looking for in a subwoofer? bottom fill? SPL? how much room do you have for an enclosure?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't need any thing crazy loud, but I want something punchy, responsive, and defined. What is bottom fill and SPL? I have plenty of room in two dimensions and I don't want to go much past a foot in width. This is what I think I want: Hifonics ATL-12D2. With four speakers left, what kinds are detailed and punchy also? I don't need something really loud. What size amp will I probably need for all this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well, if you are planning on amping your four speakers, based on your goals you seem to be the perfect candidate for a 5-channel amp. and seeing that you're new to this, it would make it a little easier.

That sub got a nice review from a reputable magazine. It looks well built, and i've plugged it into WinISD and showed a nice response curve and would fare well in a relatively small box. You might be able to find a slightly better sounding sub in its class, but you're going to pay more money, unless you're willing to downgrade in power handling

for 5 channel amps i'd recommend Hifonics, Polk Audio, MB Quart, Boston Acoustics, Kicker. you might be able to find an even better deal on the classifieds here or if you do some serious online digging. keep asking/learning before you make any big purchases though! good luck with the build!

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

If you think amplifiers are expensive, you should have been in this hobby 10-15 years ago. Amplifiers cost a fraction of what they use to, not all that long ago.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you mean by class? Could you give me some examples of what you are talking about? What kind of things should I look for in an amplifier?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

like.. similar to.

and it depends. are you going to amp your speakers or just the sub? are you going to put sub in ported enclosure? if so, you need to find amp with subsonic (infrasonic) filter. etc, etc

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Something I need is a head unit that looks plain, Ill be going to college in a bad area and I dont need my car ****ed up by meth freaks.

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

College? Expect your car to get broken into regular, with or without a stereo present.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What two pairs of speakers should i get. I was thinking some kappa infinity or some hifonic stuff but I dont know which two pairs would sound good together. 6 x9? Kenwood KDC-HD545U In-Dash CD/MP3/WMA Receiver with Built-in HD Radio, Front USB and Auxiliary Input. this is the hu i want. what do you think?

Louisiana_CRX is offline dem shoes......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Proof? View Post
    College? Expect your car to get broken into regular, with or without a stereo present.
    THIS....is the Security system figured in on the $700 SQ setup

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3
    StreetBeat 2................... 145.6
    Stock 1801-up.................153.8
    SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2
    Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast