Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Quick question on ohm and watts

blackink is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quick question on ohm and watts

If I'm getting a subwoofer that is 1.4 ohms dvc and when I wire it for .7 ohms, what's the formula for calculating the wattage produced by and amplifier that is stable at 1 ohm? Like how much would a saz 1500 produce at .7 ohms?

Also would a stock alt but with big 3 and a batt be enough to power this or should I add another one?

Lastly does the gain setting limit the total wattage produced? Like is setting the gain 50% equal to limiting a 3000 watt amp to only 1500 watts? I'm asking because I want to know how I could limit the total output if I don't feel my car's electricals can currently handle the full power.

Thanks

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Quick question on ohm and watts

anybody?

IamDeMan is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

7!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bump

bubbagumper6 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackink View Post
    If I'm getting a subwoofer that is 1.4 ohms dvc and when I wire it for .7 ohms, what's the formula for calculating the wattage produced by and amplifier that is stable at 1 ohm? Like how much would a saz 1500 produce at .7 ohms?
    There is no straight formula, but it's usually linear. ex. 1000w @ 2 ohm, 2000w @ 1 ohm, would then be something like 2250 @ 0.75 ohm. This is just an estimate, unless the manufacturer specifically states what the amplifier will do at that impedance, you can not know for sure (without bench testing).

Also would a stock alt but with big 3 and a batt be enough to power this or should I add another one?
    Assuming that amp is 1500w, a stock alt with 1 batt is kind of wimpy, you'll have voltage dips, a second battery would be better.

Lastly does the gain setting limit the total wattage produced? Like is setting the gain 50% equal to limiting a 3000 watt amp to only 1500 watts? I'm asking because I want to know how I could limit the total output if I don't feel my car's electricals can currently handle the full power.
    The gain does limit the output but not in the way you think. 100% gain does not mean 100% power. You can use it to limit the amp like you want, but you need to do some more research on how the gain works. I recommend this site: Basic Car Audio Electronics

Closed Thread